Thread: Beautiful Lucy

Beautiful Lucy

Lucy....What a beautiful lady you are. I can't believe you are 16 years
    old. I know your first family hated to give you up. It had to be hard on
    them. But I am so happy he gave you to a family that loves you so much.
    Congratulations on DOTD. Lucy, I hope you and your family will have many
    more happy years together. You are a beautiful lady. Have your mom to give you a hug for me.
    A Dog Lover
    LHCamry

When I first met Lucy, she looked all of her reported ten years old. I had seen her picture at a pet store, advertised by the local Golden Retriever rescue group. I called them, and they had the man who needed to give her up bring her by to see if I was interested in either fostering her or adopting her. It was heart-wrenching, as he clearly loved her and did not want to give her up, but was forced to due to his life's current circumstances.

Her hair was stiff and broken; she had some spots that were sort of bare. He told me her took her to the beach a lot and she loved the ocean water, but it played havoc with her skin and coat. Ear mites constantly aggravated her, and she had a little bit of a "shuffle" to her gait. I wasn't so sure I was up to the task of getting her into shape, just to lose her in a couple years, given her advanced age.

That was six years ago. Today, Lucy is a very, very happy sixteen-year-old Golden. Her coat softened up and grew back in no time. She still has that shuffled gait, which is just recently starting to slow her down. But not to where she has given up her daily (slow) walks around our neighborhood, where she is happily greeted by many human and canine friends who love her, too. And while her senses of sight and hearing are diminishing, she is still a true Retriever: she can smell "people" food, raccoons, and cats anywhere in her vicinity, and still likes to "retrieve" my daughter's stuffed animals in order to trade them for a treat!

If you are afraid of adopting a "senior" Golden - don't be. The reward far outweighs the risk. The unconditional love, loyalty, and obedience Golden's offer is incredible. When Lucy entered our home, she entered our hearts. I am so blessed that God has let her stay longer than I thought! I pray she has more happy, healthy years with us!
    Wow. You sure are a miracle girl! You are so beautiful and your story brought a smile to my face. I see that you are very pretty in pink & you love riding in the car! I read your story and the first thing that came to mind was,

how beautiful & loving & amazing she is! You truly make up for your loss of sight & hearing, huh??

Congratulations on being our big DOTD, girli. You deserve it as much as everyone else does.

Wonderful Story!

I am so happy Lucy got a new home and is in such good health. She is beautiful in her senior years.

HI Lovely LUCY!
    Nice to see that we have a DOTD from Jacksonville! YAY!
    You are a very gorgeous and deserving girl.
    We hope you continue to live many happy and healthy years!

You're beautiful, Lucy!!

Lovely Lovely Lucy !!!

Your story brought tears to our eyes, sweetheart. We know what it's like when an owner has to give up their beloved pet. That's how we got our Delilah. Happily, you are like Delilah. She lives in a great home now with more love than she can handle. Such a great ending to the story. We love your pretty pink bandana. You are one stunning senior girl. We know what it's like to love a Golden too. Congrats on your big day as our DOTD!! Please tell your family to give you a million kisses on that smooth, silky head from us in a part of Florida south of you. Hi neighbor!! Happiness always!!!

Love, Daisy and Delilah in Sunny, Brrrrrrrrrr, Florida

I've been Boo'd...
    Thanks Barry!

Be still my Retriever loving heart! Good morning beautiful Lucy girl, and a very happy DOG OF THE DAY to you! Oh what a welcome sight your sweet self is this morning! I can hardly type for the tears, Lucy! Happy tears shed knowing that a gorgeous, senior Golden Girl such as yourself found the most loving of forever families to spend her golden years with! Bless your wonderful family, and the good folks at Golden rescue, for taking "a chance" on a senior! But we who have been so privileged as to share our homes with a "seasoned citizen" know it's not taking a chance at all, it's a gift!!! I wish I were there to cover that sweet face of yours with kisses, Lucy! I hope today is filled with all things wonderful for you...a car ride, some fave treats, and all the hugs and kisses your heart can hold! Congratulations on much deserved day of honor, sweetheart! Like your Mom, I too hope and pray that you and your family know many more happy, peaceful, love filled years together! Bunches of big hugs, kisses and wishes for a very merry Christmas to you and your wonderful family!
    Love, Sandra and Star the Labbie!

Star,Tigg'r , Mollie and the10 Gallon Gang!

And my Rainbow Bridge Furangels...Jingles, Cody, Fritz, Chessa, Satin, Buddy, Lizzie, Oliver, Squeaker, Moonbeam, Rosie, Ruby~

Oh WOW!!!! That is all I can after seeing you, Lucy, and reading your story. What a blessing you are for your family, every single day!

Congratulations to you on being the Dog of the Day from some Golden loving folks in SC.

Logan, Honey, Ben and Baby Mack

I adopted a senior dog as well. Mickey, my gorgeous border collie mix, was 8 or 9 (owner wasn't sure) when I got her. I can't imagine not having her and would definitely adopt a senior dog again.

Glad to see an old girl can still shine Lucy!

Hi, old face!

I love to see pictures of senior dogs--it gives me hope that I'll have my Lefty, now 11, for several more years!

EDITED--I also wanted to add that I adopted Lefty when he was 6.5, and would adopt another older dog in a heartbeat.
    SMB ^ï^
    Bats--you need them more than you know!

Hello Lucy,

You are a beautiful Golden girl. I loved reading your story and learning a bit about you.I am so happy you found a perfect family. Congratulations on
    being chosen for honors as our DOG OF THE DAY. Wishing you & your
    family many more wonderful years.
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

I'm so overwhelmed with emotion after reading your beautiful bio, Lucy, that I'm almost at a loss for words! You are a marvel, a happy, lucky, gorgeous girl. I hope that you have more years of happiness and love with your amazing family.

I've been Boooo'd!