Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Angry cat, still spraying

Angry cat, still spraying

I was reading Taz_Zoee's post, and I have a similar problem so I figured Id post and see if anyone had any ideas.

I have 6 cats, and one of them has had a list of urinary problems. He had struvite (sp) crystals and was put on Science Diet CD and then Urinary SO. Irwin is now 4 and his problems started about 2 years ago, peeing blood, not able to pass urine, frequent squatting....I ran him to the vet and he had a blockage. This is when he started to spray.

I read that sometimes cats can associate peeing in the litter with pain so they start to go elsewhere. Since his diet change (he is now on a raw diet) hes had one "flare up" They ran a list of tests again and couldnt find anything (no crystals this time) and they sent us home with anti-inflammatories. The dr told me he would probably have these flare ups every once in a while for the rest of his life and they could be treated with anti inflammatories.

Basically I have very willingly spent thousands of dollars on his food and tests to find out what is wrong with him. Now since his initial diagnosis of this 2 years ago, he has continued to spray. Ive taken him to the vet over and over and we Xrayed kidneys, we done urinalysis after urinalysis, there is nothing wrong with his urine or kidneys now. The only thing they can tell me is the wall of his bladder is thickened. He is on supplements for that, but from what I can see, it hasnt made a difference. I have told the vets he is still spraying and they told me medically he is fine, its probably just become habit now.

Now heres where it gets interesting. Even though this is what started the spraying, I dont believe its medical. We were living in a 2 bedroom apartment, 6 cats, kind of cramped, and Irwin has become moody. He doesnt like cats near him, looking at him touching him, etc.

Sometimes if I hold him too long and he starts to growl, when I put him down (and hes done this numerous times) he will beat the **** out of any cat (or dog) thats closest to him. Its like hes goes ballistic, hes mad I held him too long and he has to take it out on someone, and then just like that its over.

Last night I heard a fight going on, and I got up and went into one of the bedrooms, and he had his mother underneath him and he was holding her by the hips and she was SCREAMING. Irwin was all fluffed up, I yelled and he went running out.

ALL of my cats are fixed. Their are 4 females, 2 boys.

90% of the time he is the most affectionate sweetest guy. But over the past whatever, hes become very grouchy and its kind of increased as the number of cats have increased.

I now have moved to NC, I have 9 rooms, plenty of space, and he is still spraying. Hes upstairs most of the time, not even near other cats. He goes in the cat litter to urinate 90% of the time, and I try and put them everywhere to encourage him to go in, but then there is always that time where he'll go into the corner and spirtz.

In my old home, we had LOTS of feral cats outside, and Irwin would sit on the window and look out at them, slamming his tail, and then he'd get up and spray the window sill....doesnt that indicate behavioral?

Now we dont have outdoor cats and we're in a completely different state. Why is he still doing it?

I found a spot on the wall in the dinning room and in my bedroom yesterday.

My new home is only 4 years old, barely lived in and I dont want to ruin it.

What do I do?

BTW- I had tried the Feliway plug ins last year. I had one pluged in, in my kitchen above the counter, and he actually sprayed the plug in....so I dont know how much that thing was LOL

Talk to your vet about a drug called Clomicalm. It is used to treat dogs w/behavioral problems but has been used successfully w/cats. I've had some of my Fur Posse on it for years. Some vets will tell you that it may take as long as 8-12 weeks to work but I was fortunate to have it begin working immediately. I have them tested once a year to make sure there are no complications and there have never been any. There is no change in their personalities either. My cats get 5 mg. before bed and I've seen no spraying incidents since then. Some other PTers use kitty Prozac instead and have seen good results w/that. I've never used it because I haven't felt the need; Clomicalm works very well for me. In the meantime, use a good enzyme cleaner where your cat has sprayed to completely remove the odor and stain. I use Urine Gone and it can be purchased at Bed Bath and Beyond and other stores, even online. Good luck.
    Blessings,
    Mary

"Time and unforeseen occurrence befall us all." Ecclesiastes 9:11

I'm sorry to hear that you're having this problem. I would also try using Cat Attract Litter by Dr. Elsey which you can buy at Petsmart to see if this will help him start using the litter boxes again. When I had a similar problem this really helped me and I also added a few more litter boxes in different locations. My Storm is going to start taking Prozac because he's still aggressive towards his siblings and has become much more grumpy lately. I tried Clomicalm but it didn't agree with Storm and it made him too sleepy and lethargic plus he hated the taste. Luckily I don't have problems with spraying or peeing outside of the box any more. Good luck.

Our Nicholas was a bad sprayer. Transdermal Prozac worked nicely for him.... Good luck, this is a very frustrating problem....
    Nine is Fine!!

YOUR CATS SO LUCKY THAT YOU LOVE AND UNDERSTAND THAT ITS NOT HIS FAULT AS MANY PEOPLE WOULD HAVE TOSSED HIM OUT, OR HAD HM PTS.
    WE ARE PRAYING TAHT YOU CAN FIND A SOLUTION AND YOUR FRIEND WILL BE WELL.
    THE RAINBOW BRIDGE FOUND HOTEL ANGELS HAVE A NEW FRIEND IN CORINNA.

ALMOND ROCCA BATON AND ELLIE ANGELS ARE GUARDIANS TO ETERNAL KITTENS ROCC-EL AND T TEEN ANGEL, ALMOND ROCA , VLAD , PAWLEE , SPRITE. LITTLE HEX, OSIRIS AND ANNIE ANGELS.
    EBONY BEAU TUBSTER AND PEACHES BW SPIKE & SMOKEY

NOW PRECIOUS AND SAM ARE TOGETHER WITH ETERNAL KITTENS SAMMY ,PRESLEY, SYLVESTER AND SCRATCHY JR , MIGHTY MARINA, COSMIC CARMEN, SAMSON ,UNDER KITTY AND SUNKIST AUTUMN & PUMPKIN.
    MIA AND ORANGE BLOSSOM ANGELS HAVE ADOPTED TUXIE , TROOPER , SONGBIRD AND LITTLE BITTY KITTIES MIA-MI BLOSSOMER, TUXEDO AND DASH AS THIER ETERNAL KITTENS.
    PRINCESS JOSEPH AND MICHAEL ARE CELEBRATING 19 YEARS AS LUCKY FOUND CATS

Im praying too LOL I just found 5 more spots that he sprayed including the cat condo I just bought for everyone. I cant have anything nice with a sprayer. Im getting extremely frustrated. I just moved into a gorgeous home and he is ruining it. We are going to the vet tomorrow. I just fear they are going to want to run all kinds of tests on him to make sure its not his urinary tract and Ive already spent thousands on tests, there is nothing wrong with him.

Try to convince them that this is behavioural and see if they will prescribe a kitty tranny for him.

Do you have copies of your other vet records? If not, give the new vet the contact information for the original once so they don't do the same tests all over again.

HUGS and good luck!
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

I might have missed it, but how many litterboxes do you have? I'm sure you'ce heard the rule of thumb story of one box per cat plus one. I have 5 cats and I lost count on how many boxes My Allen pees when he's mad at us for some unknown reason. When he does this, I buy a couple bags of Cat Attract litter. Its the BEST. You can get it from Petsmart. Well worth the $12 per bag. I don't know what they put in it, but it works like a charm every time. I ned to get a bag right now -- I caught him using hte laundry basket the other day

Quote Originally Posted by JustineNYC View Post
    I cant have anything nice with a sprayer. Im getting extremely frustrated. I just moved into a gorgeous home and he is ruining it.
    Boy can I empathize with those sentiments. New home (even if it's 100 yrs old, it was in gorgeous condition visually), and cats decide to pee and poop outside the box. It's driven me nuts. I don't even look for new spots any longer. I have no idea if new areas even exist.

I had a friend that had a cat that peed in inappropriate places. They put him on prozac and the problem stopped immediately. The vet said that it might take a few weeks to work, but he said they noticed the change right away.

My Rocky is a behavioral inappropriate peeing cat. I tried Clomicalm and it didn't work for him but my vet thinks it's because he's so sensitive. He's on Prozac, has been for about two months now, and it's working great!!! It's stopped his aggression towards the other cats and made him happy and mellow and best of all no peeing.

I have another cat with kidney stones, bladder stones and crystals who started peeing inappropriately. Now that she's on the prescription diet she's doing better.

I tried the Cat Attract Litter and found that my cats avoided it. Isn't that crazy? I didn't put it in all the boxes, just two, but they avoided them for a week until I added some of their old litter in with it.

I also use Feliway Plug-ins and as I just posted I think it caused one of my good behaved kitties to pee. After reading your post I guess it was the cause. I give up!!

From Decker with Love

Quote Originally Posted by catnapper View Post
    I might have missed it, but how many litterboxes do you have? I'm sure you'ce heard the rule of thumb story of one box per cat plus one. I have 5 cats and I lost count on how many boxes My Allen pees when he's mad at us for some unknown reason. When he does this, I buy a couple bags of Cat Attract litter. Its the BEST. You can get it from Petsmart. Well worth the $12 per bag. I don't know what they put in it, but it works like a charm every time. I ned to get a bag right now -- I caught him using hte laundry basket the other day

I have a cat litter in every room and double the rooms I have cats.

Before we moved from Brooklyn NY, I watched Irwin on my window ledge growling at the outdoor cats, and then he got right up and sprayed the window with urine while jiggling his tail.

I dont think thats a shortage of boxes thing. Im going to tell that to the vet and let him know he is beating up my other cats in what seems like anger. My friend witnessed him beating up my 90 lab and she was like, wow he needs happy pills.

And yep, I made sure to get medical records copies before I left NY. They can call all 5 vets hes been to themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by Moesha View Post
    I had a friend that had a cat that peed in inappropriate places. They put him on prozac and the problem stopped immediately. The vet said that it might take a few weeks to work, but he said they noticed the change right away.
    Well this is making me feel better. Ill take him to the vet and if they dont put him on something, we'll go to another vet until we find one thatll help.

The vets website does have a information page about behavioral spraying and medicines prescribed for them so thats promising.

His diet helped his urinary inflammations. No more straining to pee. His urine is clear and it comes out no problem (Ive caught him spraying) and when he was 6 months old, he actually was on my lap and sprayed ME. I had him fixed right after and the vet said hopefully he wouldnt do it again.

I have a cat litter in every room and double the rooms I have cats.

Before we moved from Brooklyn NY, I watched Irwin on my window ledge growling at the outdoor cats, and then he got right up and sprayed the window with urine while jiggling his tail.

I dont think thats a shortage of boxes thing.

And yep, I made sure to get medical records copies before I left NY.
    Yep, that's marking their territory alright. Your best bet will probably be to try either the Clomicalm or kitty Prozac. If Clomicalm ever stops working for my cats, I'll put them on Prozac. I will not have my house destroyed, so I know how you feel. I love my cats as though they're my children but I wouldn't tolerate any children ruining my house either. I have unlimited patience w/my cats until it comes to that subject and then I could lose my mind, so I know where you're coming from. The situation can be handled w/success, though, so good luck.
    Blessings,
    Mary

Well this is making me feel better. Ill take him to the vet and if they dont put him on something, we'll go to another vet until we find one thatll help.

The vets website does have a information page about behavioral spraying and medicines prescribed for them so thats promising.

His diet helped his urinary inflammations. No more straining to pee. His urine is clear and it comes out no problem (Ive caught him spraying) and when he was 6 months old, he actually was on my lap and sprayed ME. I had him fixed right after and the vet said hopefully he wouldnt do it again.

I had a cat that did that to me, too, except it was a female. Apparently, she was mad at me for something and peed on my hair in the middle of the night. I had to strip the bed and shower at 2:00 AM. She knew she was in big trouble because I couldn't find her all the next day. She went into hiding. LOL Vets sometimes think that females don't spray, only squat, but they do spray. I have one female on Clomicalm, my Yodie. She's a feral and a little pistol. Love her to pieces but she's definitely got catitude.
    Blessings,
    Mary