Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Litter box questions

Litter box questions

Reachoutrescue posted this photo of the litter box provided for a cat who was just admitted to their shelter. I'll show you the picture and then ask the questions.

It's a storage box, which got me thinking. Some storage boxes you can purchase at K-Mart or Target have high sides. Cassie is good at kicking the litter over the side of the box. I put a cotton rug underneath the box, but I still hoover up a lot of litter. I wonder if a storage box would be better, because of those high sides? If I cut down two of the sides so she can get in and out easily? Would I cover the cut sides with duct tape, do you think?

Also -- does anyone have experiences with pine litter, good or bad? I am trying to switch her from clay to pine. I'm mixing them right now, but the pine pellets are too big for the slots in the scoop. I'm not sure I'm doing this right. She's using the box as if nothing had changed, no problem there, and I am trying to keep it regularly scooped.

Thank you all,
    Elyse and Cassie Cat
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

I use two long and deep rubbermaid bins for litterboxes. They work great! I used to use Feline Pine and am thinking about going back to it. I only switched to the scoopable because Buddy, my foster kitty, hated Feline Pine and started peeing outside the box. After ruling out a UTI, I changed to scoopable. Everyone was happy. Buddy has since gotten a new home and I think it's safe to go back to Feline Pine. It's better for my 16 year old kitty Mollie Rose's allergies.

Feline Pine is great. You take out the solid waste and when the pellets turn to sawdust, you toss the whole box out and start over. Yeah, I think I'm gonna switch back. It's alot less messier than the scoopable too.

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

I just posted in that thread and then saw this one. I was talking with my husband yesterday and saying how I wish they would make litterboxes with super high sides because our foster cat Barney has a habit of getting in the box but peeing over the side. I don't think he means to but he likes to hug the sides. lol
    So I asked my husband if he would cut a hole in a rubbermaid container about two sizes bigger than Barney on one of the sides. I got home and it was all set up and it's working great. Here is a picture of the box. My husband just grabbed a beat up rubbermaid that he was using for kindling so it's dirty. I didn't want to complain though because he did such a good job setting it up. I will clean it up when I change the litter.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I PUT NEWSPAPER AROUND THE THREE RUBBERMAID BOXES AND THE STANDARD BOXES, AND THEN LIFT THE BOXES UP AND POUR THE CLEAN LITTER BACK IN.
    I HAVE NEVER USED THE PINE LITTER, BUT I HAVE TRIED THE FRESH STEP , AND IT WORKS WELL, AND IS A LOT LIGHTER TO CARRY.
    AND THE 7 POUND BAG LASTS AS LONG AS THE 40 POUND CLUMPING LITTER , AND IS EASIER ON THE ENVIROMENT
    THE RAINBOW BRIDGE FOUND HOTEL ANGELS HAVE A NEW FRIEND IN CORINNA.

ALMOND ROCCA BATON AND ELLIE ANGELS ARE GUARDIANS TO ETERNAL KITTENS ROCC-EL AND T TEEN ANGEL, ALMOND ROCA , VLAD , PAWLEE , SPRITE. LITTLE HEX, OSIRIS AND ANNIE ANGELS.
    EBONY BEAU TUBSTER AND PEACHES BW SPIKE & SMOKEY

NOW PRECIOUS AND SAM ARE TOGETHER WITH ETERNAL KITTENS SAMMY ,PRESLEY, SYLVESTER AND SCRATCHY JR , MIGHTY MARINA, COSMIC CARMEN, SAMSON ,UNDER KITTY AND SUNKIST AUTUMN & PUMPKIN.
    MIA AND ORANGE BLOSSOM ANGELS HAVE ADOPTED TUXIE , TROOPER , SONGBIRD AND LITTLE BITTY KITTIES MIA-MI BLOSSOMER, TUXEDO AND DASH AS THIER ETERNAL KITTENS.
    PRINCESS JOSEPH AND MICHAEL ARE CELEBRATING 19 YEARS AS LUCKY FOUND CATS

I use these. 29 gal Rubbermaid storage container, only mine is clear not blue like the one in the pix. I don't cut the sides down on them as I have cats that stand on their tiptoes when they pee. Given the ages/health of my cats, they have no problem getting in/out of the boxes.

I use Dr. Elsey's Cat Attract litter but that is a sort of clay based litter. Does the cat have an allergy to clay that you're switching to pine?

RIP Dusty July 2 2007 RIP Sabrina June 16 2011 RIP Jack July 2 2013 RIP Bear July 5 2016 RIP Pooky June 23 2018. RIP Josh July 6 2019 RIP Cami January 6 2022

I've never used storage boxes for litter boxes, but I have thought about it.

I have used pine pellets though. You scoop out the poops and the urines dissolves the pellets into sawdust. Since the pellets do not go through the scooper's holes I would dig down to bring the poops to the top, drop them off the scoop and then scoop only the poop up with a minimal amount of pellets. (hope that made sense)

I also found that if you want to get rid of some of the sawdust before you actually dump the whole pan you can do this:
    Take a scooper full of litter but instead of shaking it over the litter box, shake it over your garbage bag. The sawdust goes through to the garbage and the whole pellets stay in the scopp and can be placed back into the box.

My primary litter though, is SCOOPABLE pine! I like it because it is much lighter to carry than clay based. (both bringing in the fresh bags and taking out the used clumps to the garbage). And (as long as the cat covers) the odor control s quite good. But beware, it does track out of the box.

Quote Originally Posted by cassiesmom View Post
    Cassie is good at kicking the litter over the side of the box. I put a cotton rug underneath the box, but I still hoover up a lot of litter.

Elyse and Cassie Cat
    I use the boxes with hoods, for that reason; they kick the darn stuff everywhere! Helps with odor control as well.

I was thinking if you use one size box, and the lid from one 3 or 4 sizes larger, you can just lift and dump the litter back in, rather than hoover it up. I keep firm plastic mats in front of the entrance to the hooded box, so I can just lift and dump it easily.

I've only ever used Tidy Cats scoopable litter. RB Amber refused to use any other kind, so I just stuck with that. He's been gone for 5 years now, but I guess I am a creature of habit.

I use 4 Rubbermaid litter boxes that I bought at Petsmart and my cats love them. Here's the link: http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...ductId=2755434. I also have 4 of the Petmate litter boxes and I only use lids on 2 of them. They're also from Petsmart but I don't see them on their website. Here's a link to them from another site: http://www.pet-dog-cat-supply-store....-flypage-10515. Mine came with lids but I took most of them off.

I also put cat mats around the litter boxes and I put the puppy pee pads on top of them in case some one pees over the edge or out the doorway. I've been using Dr. Elsey's Precious Cat Clumping Litter which is scent free and they all seem to love it. Here's a link to it:http://www.epinions.com/review/Dr_El...t_441887002244. I've tried the Feline Pine but didn't like the pine scent or the way you couldn't scoop out their urine. Good luck.

I posted this on "introducing Ali".
    We use the storage containers, but I cut an opening in one end. They only have two step over a 5 inch door. Some of our kids are flingers and will shovel a ton of litter each time. I have foound that you can put the lid on and it keeps some of the smell down. For our larger guys ( Bart, Mits, Peak) it usually keeps the aim in the box. A regular litter pan is way to small for a 20+ lb cat. These guys will shoot 6 inches over a regular pan.

I use the large storage bins, also. But I lay them on their sides and slide the regular litter boxes into them like drawers. The sprays are contained even if the cat doesn't tolerate enclosed spaces. (I put a layer of newspaper under the litter pan to absorb any liquids).

I'm not sure my semi-ferals would like the Rubbermaid containers, but I'm going to give it try with a couple.

Quote Originally Posted by Emeraldgreen View Post
    I just posted in that thread and then saw this one. I was talking with my husband yesterday and saying how I wish they would make litterboxes with super high sides because our foster cat Barney has a habit of getting in the box but peeing over the side. I don't think he means to but he likes to hug the sides. lol
    So I asked my husband if he would cut a hole in a rubbermaid container about two sizes bigger than Barney on one of the sides. I got home and it was all set up and it's working great. Here is a picture of the box. My husband just grabbed a beat up rubbermaid that he was using for kindling so it's dirty. I didn't want to complain though because he did such a good job setting it up. I will clean it up when I change the litter.
    I really like this... this is one of those things when you say, why didn't Ithink of that! Thank you ALL for sharing.
    Help support ferals

I have a HUGE plastic storage bin as a litterbox in my one room. It works well, except Allen STILL tends to use the floor next to the box instead of the inside of the box

Storage Boxes

We started using the storage boxes as well; they are about 2' high so we just cut holes about 5" up for the cats to get in and out of. This makes it a bit more difficult to fling the litter out of the box! I've also got one who for some reason would pee over the top of a standard litter box, so this keeps everything contained. The walls are high enough that I don't need a cover for them, which the cats like.

We got ours for about $4 each at BigLots. Works much better than the $20 ones at Petsmart. I highly recommend these!

I am back at you with another question...

Dominick's supermarket had a bargain on Yesterday's News litter, so I went for it. $7.69 on sale for $5, and the bag had a coupon on it for $2 off ... so I got 14 pounds of Yesterday's News for three bucks. (For comparison, a 10-lb bag of clay litter costs $2.49.) We've never used it before; Cassie is a trouper and doesn't mind when I switch litter types on her. I threw a little pine over top of the Yesterday's News. Here is my question: do I change Yesterday's News every week, like clay; or every 3-4 weeks, like clumping?

Thanks,
    Elyse
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

I use regular litter boxes and clumping litter. I have always liked the clumping litter because it is easy to clean and it keeps the smell to the nonexistent point. What's funny is that Ming is a very large cat, over 20 pounds (his nickname is Waddles). Mac is on the small side, around 7 pounds. Neither of them has a problem fitting into the box in the kitchen, no litter is scattered and they never "thinks outside the box". In my son's room, we have a different story altogether. The litter is scattered everywhere. I put down an old bed sheet and they still kick litter outside of that. Plus, I find tootsie rolls on the sheet all the time. Go figure.
    Proud to be a crazy cat lady!