Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: pit bull itchy dry skin-need idea that actually work

pit bull itchy dry skin-need idea that actually work

Hi guys. My pittie is having an attack of flakey, itchy skin. He had the same problem last year (same time), and we thought it was allergies (he was on all sorts of meds, etc...but nothing worked--we went to two vets about this). We changed his food to low allergen food. Changed our cleaning products to hypoallergenic. We even started using distilled water in his bowl. But it never did anything to help him. He got better when spring came. It occurred to us this year that it could just be the dry air and heated interiors. I have read about a myriad of ideas online, but what do the pit bull owners on the board recommend for dry, itchy skin? He'll scatch so hard he bleeds and scabs. I have something called Micro Tek that seems to calm the itching, but only temporarily. He's allergic to Tea Tree Oil we found out. Would Olive Oil or eggs in his food help (I've heard this "remedy" for years, but have no idea if it works)? Is there a lotion or spray that can keep his skin hydrated in the low humidity? I see dozens and dozens of products that claim to help--but does anything really work? We already give him collodial oatmeal baths, and that only helps for a little while. After a few hours of being dried off, he's scratching again. Help. It makes us miserable to see him so miserable!
    I'm for dogs!

I am not a pit Bull owner, but when My rotti had seasonal itchy skin, I added fish oil to his food, and it helped so much!
    Maggie,

I didn't slap you, I just high fived your Face!
    I've Been Boo'd!!

Have you asked the vet about Omega supplements for your poor dogger?

My RB dog had some skin issues many years ago and was given Omega supplements to help. Perhaps something like Salmon Oil supplements?
    Gayle - self proclaimed Queen of Poop
    Mommy to: Cali (14 year old kitten)
    (RB furbabies: Rascal RB 10/11/03 (ferret), Sami RB 24/02/04 (dog), Trouble RB 10/08/05 (ferret), Miko RB 20/01/06 (ferret) and Sebastian RB 12/12/06(ferret), Sasha RB 17/10/09 (border collie cross), Diego RB 04/12/21

No one ever recommended fish oil supplements? Is this something that needs vet approval, or can I just head over to the GNC and get some?
    I'm for dogs!

Quote Originally Posted by polarpooch View Post
    No one ever recommended fish oil supplements? Is this something that needs vet approval, or can I just head over to the GNC and get some?
    Mine was recomended by my vet, but can be purchased at any store in the vitamin section.
    Maggie,

I didn't slap you, I just high fived your Face!
    I've Been Boo'd!!

I've seen it in our local pet stores.
    Gayle - self proclaimed Queen of Poop
    Mommy to: Cali (14 year old kitten)
    (RB furbabies: Rascal RB 10/11/03 (ferret), Sami RB 24/02/04 (dog), Trouble RB 10/08/05 (ferret), Miko RB 20/01/06 (ferret) and Sebastian RB 12/12/06(ferret), Sasha RB 17/10/09 (border collie cross), Diego RB 04/12/21

OK. I'm going to try that immediately. Sounds like it couldn't hurt at least. I'll get some at the store tomorrow. Anyone have any other suggestions?
    I'm for dogs!

I add a tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil to Logan's food. She also takes a multvitamin. She always smells great and her hair is smooth and silky. I brush her every other day. She had white flaky dandruff the day I brought her home.

I've been Boooo'd!

Thanks. I have some olive oil in the kitchen. which is better, fish or olive oil?
    I'm for dogs!

I think fish oil is a bit better than olive oil, but either will work. One thing that is great is that unlike medications - these items can only help and won't do any harm. Also, do yourself a favor and buy the fish oil capsules at the health food store and not the pet store. It amazes me how much more they charge for the same item when they put "canine" on the label.

Also food is a big issue - look for foods that contain Omega 3 fatty acids. Two of my favorites are Innova and Eagle Pack Holistic Fish and Anchovy variety.

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    The fish oil really does work wonders!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

OK, I got some fish oil caps and a bag of Eagle Pak Omega 3 food. A lady shopping at the petstore told me it helped her pittie's skin issues. THANKS for this idea. I hope it helps my pup.
    I'm for dogs!

I'm a pit owner, I've had many Pits but never this problem, it really isn't breed specific. It does sound like it is due to cold/dry weather. I would make sure he is getting enough omega fatty acids and supplement with grizzlys salmon oil to help with that. This will help his skin be healthy, not dry and flaky and take away the horrible itch. You can also set up some humidifiers for inside. We have very dry weather here also, it is bad on all of us so we started doing this and it helps us a lot so I imagine it makes the dogs feel better too.

Well, one thing's for sure--my dogs loooove that Eagle Pak food I got (the Holistic Omega 3 stuff), and they are craaaazy about the fish oil I'm putting in the food, too. I'm also giving this to my husky--since it seems like a win-win for all dogs. Haven't noticed anything so far (only been 4 feedings), although it sort of seems like my pittie's coat is a little softer. Might be my imagination and wishful thinking Crossing my fingers this will help control the problem. Thanks for the Omega 3 fish oil suggestion. Sort of surprised that my vet never mentioned this before.
    I'm for dogs!

Thanks!!! It's working:) :)

THANK YOU guys for suggesting this wonderful and simple idea to help my pittie. He's doing much, much better. After about a week, he's hardly scratching at all. His ears are healing (thanks to a little neosporin on the scabs that he is no longer scratching at)! And his fur feels super soft now. I am totally amazed. Thanks agan, Pet Talk people!
    I'm for dogs!