Thread: Saint Bernard :)

Saint Bernard :)

Hi! Does anyone own a St. Bernard here? I have a question, do St. Bernards drool a lot? And are they friendly with children or people in general? I'm kinda interested in them. Thanks

e-l-l-e-n

Depending on the dog how much, but St. Bernards do drool a lot. Some drool less than others, but I have never met a "drool-free" one, depite some breeder's claims. Most I have met LOVE people, and children most of all! In general they are a very sweet breed, but there are, as with any breed always exceptions.

Hi,
    I totally agree with Karen, in general a good solid people dog.
    Some of these dogs, through bad puppy rearing and/or breeding, suffer rather a lot of joint problems which can cause them considerable pain. Before you go ahead and get one read as much as you can about rearing and feeding a giant breed properly as they have specific needs.

When I was a child in elementary school a friend of mine and I would walk two St. Bernards after school. They belonged to her neighbors and they were happy to have us give them some exercise. I remember them as being smart and very gentle. The site below may answer some of your questions on this breed. Good luck with your selection. You are going about it the right way.

http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/saintbernard.htm

We had a darling St. named Sabina when I was a little girl. She was "good" as in friendly with children but should have had a LOT more obedience work. Apparently my mom would find her dragging me around by a shoe ( I dont remember this. I do like the breed but the slobber is a turn off for me....

thank you for your replies, i really need lots of them in order to decide, i don't know i just felt connected with St. Bernards

------------------
    e.m.s.

My St. Bernard drools, not a lot, but when a dog weights 190lbs. "a lot" is a relative term! The drooling is mostly after he eats, and drinks. We keep a large towel handy, and just wipe his mouth when we notice he's visted the water bowl. If he shakes that massive head of his, slobber goes everywhere-on the walls, ceiling fan, you name it. If you don't cleanup right away, the drool can actually peel the paint on your walls.
    All that said, the Saint is a beautiful, wonderful dog and a joy to own. He's the best for curling up with and watching a movie,or reading a book. He loves to go for walks, and never meets a stranger! Everyone is a friend he hasn't met yet, 'specially kids!!

My St. Bernard drools, not a lot, but when a dog weights 190lbs. "a lot" is a relative term! The drooling is mostly after he eats, and drinks. We keep a large towel handy, and just wipe his mouth when we notice he's visted the water bowl. If he shakes that massive head of his, slobber goes everywhere-on the walls, ceiling fan, you name it. If you don't cleanup right away, the drool can actually peel the paint on your walls.
    All that said, the Saint is a beautiful, wonderful dog and a joy to own. He's the best for curling up with and watching a movie,or reading a book. He loves to go for walks, and never meets a stranger! Everyone is a friend he hasn't met yet, 'specially kids!!