Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rhodesian Ridgebacks

Rhodesian Ridgebacks

Wow, I have heard of this breed before, never took much interest to it, but I don't see WHY.

I think I really, and I mean REALLY have found the perfect breed for me. I think greyhounds are second, but this breed is perfect. I SO wish I could've had a dog that enjoys LONG walks, hiking and generally enjoys the outdoors. I loved Sassy but I knew that bigger dogs would more suit me. According to Dogs 101 on animal planet, they have minimal shedding and no horrific health problems. When someone wanted to create the perfect breed, I think they did it.

What do you think? I'm researching them, if one just happens to appear at the shelter I volunteer at, I'll be sure to try and be the first one to snatch it!

I'm so glad I found "my breed".

Ridgebacks are great, I really have no complain about them, we get quite a few in at work. One of the ridgeback's at work I thought was 6, and I found out he was actually 14. He looks faboulos for his age.
    Thanks so much Ashley for the siggy!
    Zoey Marie NAJ NA RN (flat-coated retriever)
    Wynset's Sam I AM "Sage" RA (shetland sheepdog)
    T.j (english setter)

My Chloe is a Ridgeback mix. My Ridgeback breeder friend is just sure she's purebred, but I know better.

I actually just read up on the Ridgeback about 2 years ago. I love them as well. If I had room and time for another dog I'd have a Ridgeback in a heartbeat! They are really good dogs! They are great hiking partners! Make sure you work with the dog a lot off leash as a puppy. They make good off leash hiking dogs. When you get a Ridgeback you have adopted a guard system. They would give their life for their owners. Make sure wherever you end up getting one it has a even temperment. I've meet a few that have got a bad side. Chloe has an issue with new men in her house. She's getting better though. It's all in socialization when they are young. Good luck on your Ridgeback search! They are truely a great, loyal, fun breed.
    Owned by two little pastries!

REST IN PEACE GRACIE. NOT A DAY GOES BY THAT I DON'T MISS YOU.

Quote Originally Posted by lute View Post
    My Chloe is a Ridgeback mix. My Ridgeback breeder friend is just sure she's purebred, but I know better.

I actually just read up on the Ridgeback about 2 years ago. I love them as well. If I had room and time for another dog I'd have a Ridgeback in a heartbeat! They are really good dogs! They are great hiking partners! Make sure you work with the dog a lot off leash as a puppy. They make good off leash hiking dogs. When you get a Ridgeback you have adopted a guard system. They would give their life for their owners. Make sure wherever you end up getting one it has a even temperment. I've meet a few that have got a bad side. Chloe has an issue with new men in her house. She's getting better though. It's all in socialization when they are young. Good luck on your Ridgeback search! They are truely a great, loyal, fun breed.
    Does Chloe have the Ridge? That's such a unique feature, isn't it? I'm not planning on getting one soon, but who knows? I know I NEED to get one when I'm older. Such PERFECT dogs! I have read they are rather difficult to handle, but I think I can do it. You gotta start somewhere, right? I really would like a walking partner, hiking partner, BIKING partner They sound so perfect for me, I can't wait to get one of these gorgeous dogs. I've started browsing Petfinder already and looked at a few local breeders, none met my standards yet, but hopefully soon, I'll find one.

Does your RR breeder friend have a website? I'd love to check it out!

Yes, the Ridgeback breeder has a website. I got to find it first. I'll send it to you this afternoon when I get back from work. Ridgebacks can be a big handful. Be sure you are ready! No, Chloe doesn't have a ridge. There are Ridgebacks born without ridges all the time. I just know that Chloe is not purebred. She looks like and acts like a Ridgeback though. good luck on your search. Check out the Ridgeback Club of America. I think they have a breeder list on their site.

If you're serious about finding a reputable breeder, your very first intuition should be to check the national breed club =)

Rhodesian Ridgeback Club of America: http://www.rrcus.org/

The RRCUS' breeder referral: http://www.rrcus.org/breeders/index.htm

Although not all breeders in the referral will be up to your standards, all of them are members of the RRCUS and, therefore, will have had to sign the club's Code of Ethics, which guarantees you that these breeders are held accountable for their breeding practices. To fully inform yourself of the genetic diseases that exist in Ridgebacks (and there ARE some) and what issues ail the breed in general, I highly recommend taking a look at the Code of Ethics. Some breeders do deviate from the Code, and it's really up to the buyer to determine how serious of an issue that is.

Ridgebacks are awesome, breahtaking dogs. But they are strong, independent, self-willed dogs. They require an owner more intelligent, more responsive, more stubborn than they are. Also, remember, Ridgebacks are often considered "tri-hounds" because they excel in hunting with their scent AND sight. They are just as sighthoundy as a Greyhound. They lure course, and they excel at it. So they *do* have a high prey drive, although I do suspect that their prey drive can be overridden more easily than a Greyhound's.

They are beautiful dogs, I agree I don't know why I'm not particularly drawn to them (I should be, though, considering I love sighthounds and I like dogs with a little more "meat" to them). But I definitely see why anybody would be so in love with them! They're great dogs!

I really know nothing specific about them - except that neighbors of ours have one. He is one magnificent dog - gorgeous - well behaved. I know he didn't get that way on his own They are great with him, and it shows.

Quote Originally Posted by Giselle View Post
    If you're serious about finding a reputable breeder, your very first intuition should be to check the national breed club =)

Rhodesian Ridgeback Club of America: http://www.rrcus.org/

The RRCUS' breeder referral: http://www.rrcus.org/breeders/index.htm

Although not all breeders in the referral will be up to your standards, all of them are members of the RRCUS and, therefore, will have had to sign the club's Code of Ethics, which guarantees you that these breeders are held accountable for their breeding practices. To fully inform yourself of the genetic diseases that exist in Ridgebacks (and there ARE some) and what issues ail the breed in general, I highly recommend taking a look at the Code of Ethics. Some breeders do deviate from the Code, and it's really up to the buyer to determine how serious of an issue that is.

Ridgebacks are awesome, breahtaking dogs. But they are strong, independent, self-willed dogs. They require an owner more intelligent, more responsive, more stubborn than they are. Also, remember, Ridgebacks are often considered "tri-hounds" because they excel in hunting with their scent AND sight. They are just as sighthoundy as a Greyhound. They lure course, and they excel at it. So they *do* have a high prey drive, although I do suspect that their prey drive can be overridden more easily than a Greyhound's.

They are beautiful dogs, I agree I don't know why I'm not particularly drawn to them (I should be, though, considering I love sighthounds and I like dogs with a little more "meat" to them). But I definitely see why anybody would be so in love with them! They're great dogs!
    Great links =) I found a VERY good breeder right in my area, they are only a few minutes from the shelter. Thank you!

I doubt purchasing a puppy will happen anytime soon as my family is planning to adopt a shelter cat this summer. I have already checked petfinder.com for Ridgebacks in our area, that was actually the first site I went to and they didn't have any puppies. I'd want a puppy to train myself, as this isn't the easiest breed of dog to handle. I also checked the Rhodesian Ridgeback Rescue site and they don't even have dogs in NJ, there is only 1 in PA and it's 7 years old. We just don't want to go through putting a senior dog to sleep again so soon, so if I were even to get a dog I want a puppy.

Quote Originally Posted by Alysser View Post
    Great links =) I found a VERY good breeder right in my area, they are only a few minutes from the shelter. Thank you!

I doubt purchasing a puppy will happen anytime soon as my family is planning to adopt a shelter cat this summer. I have already checked petfinder.com for Ridgebacks in our area, that was actually the first site I went to and they didn't have any puppies. I'd want a puppy to train myself, as this isn't the easiest breed of dog to handle. I also checked the Rhodesian Ridgeback Rescue site and they don't even have dogs in NJ, there is only 1 in PA and it's 7 years old. We just don't want to go through putting a senior dog to sleep again so soon, so if I were even to get a dog I want a puppy.
    More than likely the only Ridgeback puppy you won't get from a breeder would be out of rescue. Animal Shelters never get Ridgeback puppies. They aren't an overly common breed. Keep checking rescues!

My aunt had a ridgeback mix that was very, very dear to them. She passed away from lung cancer about a year and a half ago now. She had her issues but she was a very loving dog. (Not to mention she wasn't really socialized)

Niņo & Eliza

Pls donīt beat me, but imo ridgebacks are not very smart dogs. Iīve had two and I have a very good friend that is a breeder of ridgebacks and share the same opinion, they are very independent dogs, very stuburn and very dificult to train.

Quote Originally Posted by Aston View Post
    Pls donīt beat me, but imo ridgebacks are not very smart dogs. Iīve had two and I have a very good friend that is a breeder of ridgebacks and share the same opinion, they are very independent dogs, very stuburn and very dificult to train.
    Some dogs may seen not too bright because they are hard headed and stubborn. BUT they are in fact smarter than you think. I have yet to meet a dumb Ridgeback. Chloe, my ridgeback mix has to have a reason to do something before she will do it. You can tell she is thinking before she acts. If I give her a command sometimes she looks at me as if to say "Why? This won't accomplish anything." The dogs are more or less out smarting YOU. I feel the same about Siberian Huskies. After owning Gracie she showed me that sibe's are not "crazy" as some people say. They simply need a very good reason to do something. I think there are some dogs that don't have it all put together. I believe there is mentally handicapped dogs. I don't think a whole breed is dumb though. You just have to look at things from the dog's point of view.

Quote Originally Posted by lute View Post
    Some dogs may seen not too bright because they are hard headed and stubborn. BUT they are in fact smarter than you think. I have yet to meet a dumb Ridgeback. Chloe, my ridgeback mix has to have a reason to do something before she will do it. You can tell she is thinking before she acts. If I give her a command sometimes she looks at me as if to say "Why? This won't accomplish anything." The dogs are more or less out smarting YOU. I feel the same about Siberian Huskies. After owning Gracie she showed me that sibe's are not "crazy" as some people say. They simply need a very good reason to do something. I think there are some dogs that don't have it all put together. I believe there is mentally handicapped dogs. I don't think a whole breed is dumb though. You just have to look at things from the dog's point of view.
    Hi lute

I understand and agree with almost all your comments. the problem (for Me) is that I don't like independent dogs that need a very good reason to do something. I like devoted, obedient and smart dogs that have pleasure just for pleasing their owners. I also understand that we normally use expressions like "he's not dumb, he only likes to do what he wants" to justify our hard headed friends - that's normal, no one likes to admit their dog is dumb. I'm almost 50 years old, I've been also a breeder and trainer of several breeds, and Iīve had dogs all my life, I think I can now after all these years know some genetic characteristics of the breeds ( at least the ones I've worked with). Apart from this, Ridgebacks are beautiful dogs.

Quote Originally Posted by Aston View Post
    Hi lute

I understand and agree with almost all your comments. the problem (for Me) is that I don't like independent dogs that need a very good reason to do something. I like devoted, obedient and smart dogs that have pleasure just for pleasing their owners. I also understand that we normally use expressions like "he's not dumb, he only likes to do what he wants" to justify our hard headed friends - that's normal, no one likes to admit their dog is dumb. I'm almost 50 years old, I've been also a breeder and trainer of several breeds, and Iīve had dogs all my life, I think I can now after all these years know some genetic characteristics of the breeds ( at least the ones I've worked with). Apart from this, Ridgebacks are beautiful dogs.
    I'm only 20 yrs old. I have had dogs all my life as well. I've rescued over 200 dogs in the last 6 years. I also show dogs in AKC conformation. I have shown many many breeds and have finished some AKC Championships. I have not bred my own litter as of yet, but work with some amazing breeders that teach me everything they know. I worked at a veterinary clinic for some time. Learned a lot about canine health and taught the vet a lot about different breeds and their characteristics. I learned to read from DogFancy magazines. I have literally dedicated my life to learning absolutely everything about the dog. It's movement, temperment, genetics, body language, etc. I think I should know a plenty about the breeds I have worked with.

The Ridgeback is not your breed. I like a challenging dog. That's perfectly fine and I'm not trying to start anything. But coming to this board with the "know it all" attitude will get you in trouble. Give advice. You have a lot to share. You may also learn something here too. Some of us here are not up there is age, but we know our dogs. I for one do not think my dog is dumb. She is not. She is hard headed. That is her breed characteristic. If hard headed dogs are dumb why is it that most Sibes, Mals, etc are the hardest dogs to train? Are these breeds dumb because of their hard headedness?

First of all, I think this is a board where we can share our opinions (Isn't it ???). I've started my intervention in this thread by stating imo ( in my humble opinion). So what's your problem lute? You can't be angry with everybody that doesn't share your point of view, calm down my friend, you are too young, life is hard and there's no need for this kind of resentments.