Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Skya graduated puppy class

Skya graduated puppy class

Skya's puppy class graduation was tonight. She did really well! It's been hit and miss the entire class, sometimes she did pretty well other times she was more skittish. Tonight was the best she has been (on the last class, go figure). I think bringing Keva may have helped. Also I gave her some of the green hope farms essences I had (bought them for Nebo, didn't use it all). I'm going to continue bringing Keva with me whenever I bring her and just walk around the store a little each time.

She wasn't the best at the lessons (she did them fine at home however) but for her, she really did do well in the class overall. She would do sit, stay, down, and shake (paw) during the class, in the back of the store by the dog food...we stayed away from the front of the store because all of the commotion makes her nervous. She had a hard time with very long stays, but she did well with short stays and me even walking away from her to the end of the isle.

During the class she's taken treats from the trainer most of the time, sometimes the other girl in the class, but she often would spit them out or not take them. Tonight she took and ate treats from every person who offered it to her. Including a few store associates that she doesn't know well. There were a couple other people that came just for the class tonight that she has never met and she actually went up to them and sniffed them. She licked a few people's hands too. This probably all sounds nuts but that was very good for her. I bought big treats after and gave them to the dogs in the car...and she ate that too. Usually she's too nervous to eat anything in the car, even little treats (she's good in the car, just sits there and jumps right in, but you can tell she's out of her comfort zone).

Anyway, she's also 5 months old now and weighs 22.7 lbs. Any guesses on her adult weight? I'm wondering if she may even be smaller than Keva...time will tell I guess. Here are some photos from tonight:

Skya and Remi (they were the only two in the class)

Skya and Keva relaxing after class

With her certificate

With a new toy to celebrate

And with me lol

Congrats Skya
    You are a little cutie.
    Nikki[human],Zippy[tabby],and Pumpkin[orange tabby]
    Rest in Peace my Sweet Hammie Zoey
    Jan 1,09-March 26,2010

Quote Originally Posted by wolf_Q View Post

Skya's puppy class graduation was tonight. She did really well!

Tonight she took and ate treats from every person who offered it to her.
    Including a few store associates that she doesn't know well.
    ... other people that came just for the class tonight that she has never met
    and she actually went up to them and sniffed them.
    She licked a few people's hands too.
    A regular lil Social Butterfly!

I'll bet she warms up to most everyone if given some additional pleasant "meet & greets".
    Sounds like *treats* help, too!

Congrats to The Graduate and her Proud Mom!

I understand what it's like to have and work with a fearful dog. Those are AMAZING breakthroughs for you and Skya! Is there another level of classes you can take with her at the store? They would probably be excellent for her.

"Did you ever notice when you blow in a dog's face he gets mad at you?
    But when you take him in a car he sticks his head out the window." -- Steve Bluestone

Whoo hoo!!! Go Skya!!
    You're the one sure thing I've found so you better stick around...
    Best Fireman in da House´10
    dedicated to the kindest,loveliest and always helpful man that one would be honored and proud to know........R.I.P. Dear Phred

It's really great to hear that she has such a terrific night. Makes you feel like your making progress doesn't it?!

CONGRATULATIONS SKYA!!!

Huney, Bon & Simba-missed so very much
    Remembering all the Rainbow Bridge Pets

Congrats Skya, good girl! Amy, when I first took Layla to school all she did was sit and drool for seven weeks, seriously. On her last week, she showed signs of opening up so I continued to take her, four classes, so far. It's amazing how much it helped! She's still afraid of things, I suppose she always will be, but nothing like when we first started.
    http://petoftheday.com/talk/signaturepics/sigpic9646_1.gif
    Forever in my heart...
    Casey.Ginger.Corey.Mandy.Sassy
    Lacey.Angel.Missy.Jake.Layla

Congrats Skya!!
    ~Kimmy, Zam, Logan, Raptor, Nimrod, Mei, Jasper, Esme, & Lucy Inara
    RIP Kia, Chipper, Morla, & June

I'm glad she did well. Since no one else has guessed I will say that she will be 45-50 pounds when she is an adult.

*Thanks Ashley*

HOORAY SKYA!! I LOVE that photo with her certificate, the head tilt is adorable!

Well, that answers my comment in the other post from Nancy's reading, about having her in a class. I didn't realize you already were in one! I bet with time, and patience form you, and Keva for her security blanket, she will develop into a wonderful calmer young lady.

Woo Hoo!! Way to go Skya!

That's great that having Keva there helped her so much.

I'm going to guess her to be between 40 and 50lbs as an adult. She is a month younger than Taggart and he is a little over 10 lbs heavier. Of course you never know. I might have a monster on my hands when he grows up. But I have a feeling Skya will be much more petite.
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

Yeahhhh Skya!!
    We all knew you could do it sweetie!
    ~Angie, Sierra & Buddy
    **Don't breed or buy while shelter dogs die!**

I suffer from multiple Shepherd syndrome

congrats Skya!!.. you look so proud....awww.... and you are so BIG!
    Corinna´s Christmas Card Swap ´06
    dedicated to a lovely woman who won many hearts along her life...........
    she will be deeply missed.......Thank you for letting us be a part of your life, you will surely remain in ours FOREVER........R.I.P. Dear Corinna

Best Fireman in da House´10
    dedicated to the kindest,loveliest and always helpful dude that one would be honored and proud to know........R.I.P. Dear Phred

notes-to-my-husband blog

http://365project.org/isabelle/365

Congratulations Skya!

She is quite the little cutie, isn't she? She's really getting big now, too! Pretty girl.

Yay, Skya! Happy Graduation! I have no idea how big you will be, but I know you will always be very beautiful! Those blue eyes of yours just do me in!
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678