Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nikon or Canon SLR? Which is better?

Nikon or Canon SLR? Which is better?

So... I am currently deciding on a digital SLR... but I cannot for the life of me find any differences between Nikon and Canon - Who owns what and why did you pick that brand?? Help me out, thanks!
    You're the one sure thing I've found so you better stick around...
    Best Fireman in da House´10
    dedicated to the kindest,loveliest and always helpful man that one would be honored and proud to know........R.I.P. Dear Phred

So odd that you just posted this. Did you do a search here through old threads? There are several that discuss this very topic. I only ask that because I JUST finished searching and reading through many of them. This is the third of fourth time I've read some of them. I was trying to decide the very same thing. I decided to go with Nikon. No real reason other than I liked the feel of the camera better I guess. I went to the store and held both of them. My very first 35mm camera was a Nikon and I loved it. I recently used a friends film EOS Rebel from Canon and it was ok too. I just read reviews at several places and they are pretty closely rated and from the best I could tell, it is a matter of personal opinion.

I bought a Nikon D60 with a 18-55mm lens kit as a trial. I can return it until Jan. 31. This way I can decide if I will actually use it and also see if prices will fall on the D80 or D90 in the next month or so with the holiday sales out there. I will probably get the D80 unless I find a really great D90 deal. I just posted a question in this thread about what lenses. (18-55 and 55-200 or just an 18-200)

I have a Nikon DSLR. I love it, but I'd love a Rebel too. But my Nikon is really nice! =]

twitter.
    http://twitter.com/meganxxjo

now she's slowly opening
    new eyes.

Here's a thread along similar lines that I commented on a while back. Worth a read.
    http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthre...ighlight=canon

RIP Dusty July 2 2007 RIP Sabrina June 16 2011 RIP Jack July 2 2013 RIP Bear July 5 2016 RIP Pooky June 23 2018. RIP Josh July 6 2019 RIP Cami January 6 2022

Nikon and Canon are pretty closely tied between support and quality, but I would still choose a Canon for personal preference.

My personal opinion only is Nikon .
    Rhi *Hooman* Clover *Rottie x ACD* (RIP to my BRD) Elvis and Tinny *The BCs* & Harri *JRT* Luna *BC x*

Nikon, hands down!! That's what all the news photojournalists have told me.

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

I for sure like my Canon real well..

~~~Thank You Very Much {Kim} kimlovescats for the Grand Siggy~~~

[[ Furr Babies are Like Potato Chips **** No One Can Have Just One ]]
    ****** Kindness, Mercy & Justice to All Living Creatures ******
    {{{{{Everyday is a Gift = That's why it's Called the Present }}}}}
    ((( Each Day With Our Pets is a Surprise Package Waiting to be Opened )))
    <Sunsets are God's Reminder to Us That At The End of the Day We're All In This Together>

I have never owned an SLR camera, so this may not be helpful. But, as far as point and shoot cameras go, I prefer Nikon over Cannon. I have tried both, and think that Nikon offers you more options on what you can do with your camera than Cannon. And as someone esle said, it just feels more comfortable to use.

which ever you choose you can´t go wrong with any...

my preference is Canon.... as I´ve had Canon since ever.... I had film, digital... and now looking forward to another one.. LOL...

Nikon is a great choice too... but it you already own a Canon and have lenses and such you can use them in a newer one without having to buy lenses too.. or you can sell the whole thing and get Nikon equip.

go try both at a store and see how you feel about them... they are both great choices...THE best choices
    Corinna´s Christmas Card Swap ´06
    dedicated to a lovely woman who won many hearts along her life...........
    she will be deeply missed.......Thank you for letting us be a part of your life, you will surely remain in ours FOREVER........R.I.P. Dear Corinna

dedicated to the kindest,loveliest and always helpful dude that one would be honored and proud to know........R.I.P. Dear Phred

notes-to-my-husband blog

http://365project.org/isabelle/365

I don't know how many people here shoot tethered (hooked directly to a computer while shooting) but if you have Vista 64 bit and try to use the Canon EOS utility you're going to have nightmares for problems and still may not get that combo to work.

I should know, I specifically bought a laptop for shooting tethered, got a good fast machine, which apparently comes with Vista 64 bit. I did not know at the time that there was a difference until I tried to hook the camera up. I can get it to run sporratically (sp?) but not consistently or without a HUGE headache and ALOT of wasted time. Apparently at this point Canon does not seem to support the Vista 64 bit machines, at least for the EOS utility (other parts of the software run fine). Many sites I've read says that the 32 bit Vista seems to not have nearly so many problems.

Just be warned, and this is coming from a longtime Canon fan (not so much now for software) and a newly emerged Vista/Microsoft hater. lol

RIP Dusty July 2 2007 RIP Sabrina June 16 2011 RIP Jack July 2 2013 RIP Bear July 5 2016 RIP Pooky June 23 2018. RIP Josh July 6 2019 RIP Cami January 6 2022

Nikon, definitely. Canons feel "cheap" to me.

Ultimately though, it's not the body that will be your investment. The majority of your money will be spent on lenses, and that's where most of your quality will come from.

"Did you ever notice when you blow in a dog's face he gets mad at you?
    But when you take him in a car he sticks his head out the window." -- Steve Bluestone

Canon!
    It might be just me, because we've had canons in our family..but I really like them! Rebels woot!

I recently borrowed a Nikon D80 - Anyone have those? I will be expermenting with it over the weekend.... and I will be using it for my photography's 3rd and final projects..
    You're the one sure thing I've found so you better stick around...
    dedicated to the kindest,loveliest and always helpful man that one would be honored and proud to know........R.I.P. Dear Phred

I'm so technologically challenged, it's pathetic but my son gave me an awesome Canon for Christmas and it does everything except clean litter boxes. I love it!
    Blessings,
    Mary

"Time and unforeseen occurrence befall us all." Ecclesiastes 9:11