Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tongue Piercing?

Quote Originally Posted by caseysmom View Post
    This just cracks me up It seems so out of character for you.

I think I am too old to comment on this
    Most people think that this is out of character I am the quiet, shy, stay at home mom to two little boys, but I DO have a dark side buried somewhere in there
    Visit my website to learn about fabulous kitchen gadgets and cookware! www.pamperedchef.biz/melissawendl

Quote Originally Posted by Sirrahsim View Post
    Most people think that this is out of character I am the quiet, shy, stay at home mom to two little boys, but I DO have a dark side buried somewhere in there
    I am sure your hubby likes the mix
    don't breed or buy while shelter dogs die....

I have been frosted!

Thanks Kfamr for the signature!

I always wanted one as well until I read a nursing journal about a young 20 something that had it done and was having problems with infection. About a week later she returned to the ER with stroke symptoms and they did a CT on her and she had a HUGE abscess in her brain that had to be removed via surgery and at the time of the article was in a nursing home.
    So I decided I didn't want one after that!
    Keeganhttp://www.dogster.com/dogs/256612 9/28/2001 to June 9, 2012
    Kylie http://www.catster.com/cats/256617 (June 2000 to 5/19/2012)
    Kloe http://www.catster.com/cats/256619
    "we as American's have forgotten we can agree to disagree"
    Kylie the Queen, Keegan the Princess, entertained by Kloe the court Jester
    Godspeed Phred and Gini you will be missed more than you ever know..

Quote Originally Posted by shais_mom View Post
    I always wanted one as well until I read a nursing journal about a young 20 something that had it done and was having problems with infection. About a week later she returned to the ER with stroke symptoms and they did a CT on her and she had a HUGE abscess in her brain that had to be removed via surgery and at the time of the article was in a nursing home.
    So I decided I didn't want one after that!
    WOW! Talk about a freak accident Poor girl
    Visit my website to learn about fabulous kitchen gadgets and cookware! www.pamperedchef.biz/melissawendl

I say if you want it, go for it.

You can easily take it out later if you decide you no longer want it.

~Kay, Athena, Ace, Kiara, Mufasa, & Alice!
    "So baby take a axe to your makeup kit
    Set ablaze the billboards and their advertisements
    Love with all your hearts and never forget
    How good it feels to be alive
    And strive for your desire"

-rx bandits

Quote Originally Posted by Kfamr View Post
    I say if you want it, go for it.

You can easily take it out later if you decide you no longer want it.
    That's my thought. I talked to someone who's daughter has one, and she is a doctor. She just takes her barbell out and goes to work.

That's what I told my dad... if it doesn't work out in the future at a future job, I'll take it out.

twitter.
    http://twitter.com/meganxxjo

now she's slowly opening
    new eyes.

I haven't read the responses to the thread but I can imagine that most people aren't too thrilled with the idea. That's okay.. to each their own.

Here's my .02. If you want it, get it.

A tongue piercing is incredibly easy to remove and you don't have to worry about unattractive scars. Yes you will absolutely hear about negative experiences. There are just as many bad experiences as there are horrible, unethical, ignorant piercers. All you hear about are the idiots who play with their piercings against their teeth, then complain about those awful piercings when they chip their tooth. Duh? Or those who don't follow healing treatment to a T.

A clean studio is a must. You absolutely have to get pierced with a new needle (14 gauge or a lower number ie: 12 gauge.. the lower the number, the bigger the needle). This is because anything like a 16 gauge will rip through your tongue with incredible ease. Healing jewelry must be surgical stainless steel or titanium. Titanium is a lighter, easier for your body to accept, and is a better choice for allergy sufferers. However, surgical stainless steel ("316L") is absolutely fine for most piercees. Internal threading is a must. External threading (when the post has the threading, rather than the ball having the threading) is a no-no.. especially for healing piercings. Your tissue was just cut. The external threading will tear it again.

Healing is a pain in the butt. You can't chew, spit, suck out of a straw.. you can't do anything really. I lived off slurpees for the first few days. After a week of congee, soup and slurpees, I was able to eat soft food. I think the pain subsided after 2 weeks. But the healing itself wasn't complete until probably around the 6 month mark. Everyone heals differently.. I healed my first round of lip piercings after over a year. The second time around, they healed in a couple months. Be prepared for constant cleaning.

The great thing is that they won't leave an unslightly scar like facial piercings do. They're also very easy to hide. Acrylic has it's pros and cons. They can't be properly sterilized (the autoclave would melt it). They're also not as compatible with your body as surgical stainless steel or titanium are. They are cheap though, and if you get them from a reliable source, they are pretty neat to look at. A WONDERFUL alternative to acrylic for hiding purposes is glass retainers. They CAN be properly sterilized, are relatively inexpensive, and are incredibly hard to see.

Personally, I have three. I've heard it all.. I did it to be "cool", I just want the attention, I'm just doing it for that adult reason, I'm going to chip my teeth, I'm going to have a lisp, I'm going to get an infection and die, yada yada yada. I've heard it all. I didn't do it for any of those reasons, and I'm still alive, lisp-free, with all my teeth and breathing. I have three so maybe I did something right? AKA RESEARCHING respectable artists and taking proper care of my piercings. I paid an absurd amount of money for them because a good piercer is worth every penny. I love my piercings -- If I had more room, I'd probably have even more. I (note: I - not you) love them and that's all that matters.

Here's a pic of all three

Kai [Sheltie], Kaedyn [Sheltie], Keeva [Malinois], Kwik [Malinois]

I think today might be the day... both my cousin and I are getting it done, and we've got the money, I just need to know whether or not I have to work, lol. Cuz if I have to work tonight, I really don't want to go to get my tongue pierced three hours before!

twitter.

now she's slowly opening
    new eyes.

Well it's done, lol.

I almost chickened out, but I did it anyway. The piercer was super nice (I'll definitely be going to him for my tattoo...). It hurt a little more than I thought it would, but now it's just sore, like I bit my tongue. Ice, popsicles and more ice. =]

twitter.

now she's slowly opening
    new eyes.

Yay

No tongue sticking out quite yet for me, lol

twitter.

now she's slowly opening
    new eyes.