Thread: Vascular ring anomaly - persistent right aortic arch

Alaska: Where the odds are good, but the goods are odd.

Vascular ring anomaly - persistent right aortic arch

Anyone have any experience with this condition. Or, more importantly, any words of wisdom or ideas for Spike's owner (Debbie)?

Spike is having a very hard time eating and keeping his weight up. Debbie is working very hard to get Spike life-saving surgery.

I will try to contact her to see if she wants to join Pet Talk, but if you have any suggestions, or just want to read more about Spike, go here: http://www.imom.org/community/index.php?showtopic=4945

Please crosspost Spike's story. Hopefully, the funds can be raised in time. Oh, Spike is in Arizona.

Here's what Spike's Mom posted on IMOM about him:

Hi Everybody,
    I'm Spikes mommy, Debbie. I've had Spike since he was 5 weeks old along with his sister. My son brought home Spikes sister, Gonja because he wanted a puppy. I was fine with that but when his friends brother brought over another puppy from the same litter because his Mom said he couldn't keep it, I was put on the spot. I took one look at Spike and couldn't say no to him. WE quickly learned there was something different with Spike because he couldn't hold down his food, so I took him under my wing, did research, fed him baby food and found out what needed to be done. Since then, Spike has become my little best friend. He loves to go for car rides with me, so I don't have to go anywhere alone. He sleeps in my bed at night and won't tolerate no being under the covers so he'll paw at the covers until I lift them up for him. He doesn't like to stay up late, so if I'm on the computer, he'll paw at my leg to let me know he's ready to go to bed and if I don't go to bed at that time, he'll curl up under my chair or want me to pick him up and put him in my lap until I go to bed. When I come home from my classes, he's the first one to greet me when I get home and I have to pick him up to say hello or he gets upset with me. He will look at me with those big brown eyes like I broke his heart if I don't greet him first. Spike has given me a smile and hope when I didn't have any. Please help my baby, my best friend get through this. Thank you guys for everything!!
    Ask your vet about microchipping. ~ It could have saved Kuhio's life.

Spike is absolutely adorable, Lisa. What a little sweetheart. I've never heard of this condition. I hope this little fella gets better-he's too cute and sweet to think that his life could be over

I've been Boo'd...
    Thanks Barry!

For those interested.....

Spike had his surgery and is doing well. Vet says he may never be able to eat regular dog food, but there's always hope.

Spike's Mom posted an updated on IMOM. He is doing well and now weighs in at 18 pounds. He does well with watered down dog food.