Thread: Overdue thanks and hello to everyone!

Overdue thanks and hello to everyone!

Hello Everyone! My name is Pat, and I have two wonderful, obstreperous, unbelievably beautiful Siamese cats named Linus and Lucy. Linus is a lilac point and Lucy is a blue point. As you can tell, I’m completely objective., and not al all prejudiced about them.

They are now almost 11 months old. Some of you may remember us from when I found this forum for the first time and asked (begged, pleaded) for help to find a way to keep them from breaking through the screens on our lanai (that’s a silly Florida word for screened porch,) and also from climbing up into the mechanism of my husband’s recliner. The screens were a critical problem for us, because we live in the middle of the Everglades, and if they do get out, they would quickly fall prey to alligators or panthers!

I got tons of really good advice, all of which I tried. We finally bought a plastic rug protector, the kind you use if you want to have an office chair run around on a rug. If you turn one over, you find these little plastic spikes. We cut the thing into strips and hot glued them spike side up onto the base of the screen. It worked until Linus figured he could reach over the spikes to head-butt the screen. Now we have a pretty little lattice fence, about 18” high, around the base of the screens. That seems to have solved the problem. Thank you everyone for your help.

We had two other Siamese for many years. We got them when we first retired, and found our empty nest a bit too empty. Although we had always had barn/alley cats, this was our first experience with indoor cats. We lived in the Florida Keys then, so their names were Harry and Bess, because the Truman’s loved the Keys. Bess was a lilac point, and Harry a magnificent, sixteen pound Seal point.

We lived on the fifth floor then, looking out over the Florida Straits, and they loved nothing more that sitting on the balcony and watching the pelicans fly by. Bess died of renal failure, and Harry left us very quickly thereafter. His heart and spirit were broken when he lost Bess, and he would wander around all night long, screaming for her. He never adjusted to her loss.

After he left to go find her, we vowed never to have pets again. So, two years later, here we are! Our life just wasn’t the same without soft, furry creatures to love and worry about.

We do have one more problem I’d like to discuss with you all. Linus and Lucy have chronic rhinotracheitis. We and the vet have been struggling with it for several months. I’ll start a separate thread about it in a few days. Your wisdom will be appreciated and, I’m sure, enlightening.

I’ll try to thumbnail some pictures for you. Thank you, Webmaster, for maintaining this wonderful forum. I know I’ll enjoy many happy hours here.

Pat
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	009.JPG 
Views:	333 
Size:	1.73 MB 
ID:	40813   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lucy in bathroom basket2.jpg 
Views:	325 
Size:	662.2 KB 
ID:	40814   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Linus at carboy1.jpg.JPG 
Views:	329 
Size:	550.4 KB 
ID:	40815   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	L L 8-08 009.JPG 
Views:	326 
Size:	352.6 KB 
ID:	40816   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HandBmem.jpg 
Views:	320 
Size:	181.8 KB 
ID:	40817  

l
    Lucy and Linus

I am so glad the advice was useful, and the kitties and alligators need never meet!

Welcome again to Pet Talk, it is good to re-meet you and your kitties, too!

No wonder you have cats again...Lucy and Linus are just beautiful and adorable! I am sure you just melted when you first saw them, and they saw YOU.

My condolences on Harry and Bess. What beautiful beautiful cats...and so very close. Harry's broken heart is healed, and he and Bess are snuggling forever at the Bridge.

Welcome and welcome back!
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    Welcome - and let me just say that your babies are beautiful! I'm somewhat partial to Siamese as I had 2 Sealpoints and a Bluepoint for many years. My old man Ming lived to the ripe old age of 20! They were all very smart, but he was the Einstein of the group. Sorry for your loss of Harry and Bess, and while you can never replace them, these 2 little charmers will fill a very empty space and provide you with many new and exciting memories to cherish! Hope to see lots more pics of them!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

Hello Pat, it's nice to meet you. I noticed your beautiful kitties in your siggy in another thread earlier. I just love the names too.
    Well, I don't have any answers to your questions. But I'm sure someone might. We have several people that are vet techs or work at vets here.

Harry and Bess were gorgeous. Take comfort that they are together again.

Welcome to Pet Talk Pat, Lucy and Linus!
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

There are those beautiful babies. I wondered where you went after your last posts. Glad you came back.

Thanks for such warm welcome! everyone

I think "cat persons" are the nicest in the world. Thanks all; I'm glad to be here.

To jenluckenbach: Kitties kept me busy, else I would have been back sooner. First, of course, using all the suggestions I got on PT to make them safe, then trying to solve their health problems. (see below)

To Karen, Catty1, pomptzu, and Taz_Zoee: Thanks for the kined words of welcome.

If any of you have the time, would you please read my post in CAT HEALTH and give me your thought.
    l
    Lucy and Linus

Welcome to the world of PetTalk! I read your post in Cat Health, but sadly have no advice. I'm sure others will though. We look forward to seeing and hearing more about you and your beautiful babies!

welcome

Hi Pat, welcome to Pet talk. I'm David P and I live in Pittsb
    urgh, Pa. I'm currently owned by a very nutty tortoiseshell kitty named Marigold, my flower child! I'm very sorry to hear about Harry and Bess who are probably at the RB with Thai, my beloved bluepoint siamese who I had the pleasure of her company for 22 years. Lucy and Linus are very beautiful, and I started to tear up because Linus looks a lot like Thai at that age. I'm sure you'll find a lot of friends here at PT.

W E L C O M E O N P T !!!

You have 2 gorgeous!! I am Maya & Inka's mommy, I am from Belgium, and I am owned by 4 sweet cats: Maya, Inka, Zazou & Snoopy
    You will love it here!!

Hello, Lucy and Linus and to your people as well! You are beautiful Siamese kitties! I am "servant" to one grey cat, Cassie.

Welcome,
    Elyse and Cassie Cat in Chicago
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

Your new meezers are stunning! Welcome back!

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

Welcome to PT! I am Sonia, I live in France and we have two cats: Peppito, a 10-year-old mackerel tabby, and Jasmine, a black princess of 4.

Your babies are gorgeous!

Quote Originally Posted by pat1066 View Post
    I think "cat persons" are the nicest in the world. Thanks all; I'm glad to be here.
    I think so too. I think it's because they are sensitive persons. Sensitive enough to understand cats (as best as we can understand them).

I read you other post but I have no advice. There was a kitty like this at a shelter where I was volunteering but I am not sure it was the same disease. She was allowed to stay with other kitties.

I'm sorry I didn't see this post until now.
    I had noticed your two cute kitties in your signature in a couple of other threads.
    Lucy and Linus are so cute and so were Harry and Bess.
    Welcome to Pet Talk!
    I recently added two Siamese girls to my family so I know how much fun it is to share a home with them.
    RIP sweet Samantha
    6/26/88-8/28/08
    ----------------------------

Milly & Izzy

Hi and welcome, Pat. Linus and Lucy are gorgeous, and so were Harry and Bess.

I live in Copenhagen, Denmark with Fister, who is 12 years old now - see avatar, or search for Fister posts.

Hope we'll see more of Linus and Lucy soon, glad you decided to adopt them.

I agree, kitty people are extra special.

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.