Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: We had quite a scare last night

Awe, poor Hannah! Glad you kept your cool and were able to dislodge that fishie!

Give her a hug for me!!

Thanks everyone. I think it definitely took a year or two off my life.

Hannah seems to have forgotten all about with no ill affects lol she still grabs goldfish by the handful and I have to pry her little fingers open and empty her hand and give her just ONE. Stinker.

R.I.P my dear Sweet Teddy. You will be missed forever. We love you.

http://www.hannahshands.etsy.com

That is scary. So glad she is okay!

Jonah choked one time. On Funions, of all things. He didn't eat them for 6 months, I bet.

How scary. I'm so glad that you knew what to do and that she's fine.

One time when I was at Chili's, a young boy was choking on something and I guess that no one knew what to do because some one called the paramedics. I didn't even know that this was happening until they arrived. Hopefully the boy was okay.

How terrifying! Quinn choked on a baby carrot when she was about 11 or so months old. She used to be a food crammer (cram so much in the mouth that you can't even chew). It scared her to the point that she sobbed, but it scared me and daddy even more. I just grabbed her and gave her a firm "pop" on her back and thankfully it dislodged easially enough.

This thread has opened my eyes to the importance of a child CPR class. I think on Monday I'll check the hospital/YMCA for Child CPR classes. Choking is terrifying and just hearing about Hannah choking brought me to tears.

These babies of ours sure do know how to add grey hairs, don't they? I'm just so glad the food dislodged easially and she's OK now.

That's awesome! I never knew how to dislodge something from a choking baby's throat until my CPR class for infants and children.

But yes, put them on your leg, face towards the ground so gravity can act. and Beat upwards on the middle of their back.

Also, don't be afraid to reach your finger in and down Hannah's throat... sometimes, it's the only way to get something out.

I'm so glad she's ok, though!
    ~Sara, Daisy, Jessie, Jake, & Jackson

<3 Gone but never forgotten <3
    {Benjamin, Russell, Chester, Dexter, George Harrison, & Leeroy} {O.D.} {Trey} {John-Paul & Earl}

Quote Originally Posted by buckner View Post

Also, don't be afraid to reach your finger in and down Hannah's throat... sometimes, it's the only way to get something out.

I'm so glad she's ok, though!
    Yikes! I think you can make it worse by lodging whatever is in there further down. Maybe I'm way off base, but I think this is horrible advice.

Quote Originally Posted by buckner View Post

This is a definite no-no! The only reason that you would be sticking a finger in there would be to sweep something out of her mouth that is easily accessible. If it is towards the back of her mouth or there is any chance you could lodge it farther back in the windpipe, DO NOT TOUCH!
    Visit my website to learn about fabulous kitchen gadgets and cookware! www.pamperedchef.biz/melissawendl

It is recommended to open the mouth and look for objects I wouldn't think that putting the finger down the thoat is a good idea but if you can see and get ahold of what they are choking on you should pull it out.
    don't breed or buy while shelter dogs die....

I have been frosted!

Thanks Kfamr for the signature!

I didn't add this because it hurts to think about, but when I was pregnant with Quinn, a woman I worked with dropped her 3 year old off at daycare and got a call later that day from the parametics that her little girl was rushed to the ER. The daycare worker cut up a hot dog and aparentlly didn't cut it correctly. The little girl choked and the daycare worker was not CPR certified. The daycare worker did attempt to pry the hotdog out with a finger. The daycare worker attemped to dislodge the hotdog but was unsuccessful, called the parametics, and they, also, were unsucessful. The little girl passed away that day. She was only 3 years old. It just kills me to think about this.

Choking is so serious and I hate being reminded of that coworker of mine losing her little girl, but I think it's important. And also would like to add that it is a HUGE no-no to try to pry the food out of the throat of the choking child. It's normal to want to get it out of there, but that will make the food more lodged.

Quote Originally Posted by AdoreMyDogs View Post
    I didn't add this because it hurts to think about, but when I was pregnant with Quinn, a woman I worked with dropped her 3 year old off at daycare and got a call later that day from the parametics that her little girl was rushed to the ER. The daycare worker cut up a hot dog and aparentlly didn't cut it correctly. The little girl choked and the daycare worker was not CPR certified. The daycare worker did attempt to pry the hotdog out with a finger. The daycare worker attemped to dislodge the hotdog but was unsuccessful, called the parametics, and they, also, were unsucessful. The little girl passed away that day. She was only 3 years old. It just kills me to think about this.

Choking is so serious and I hate being reminded of that coworker of mine losing her little girl, but I think it's important. And also would like to add that it is a HUGE no-no to try to pry the food out of the throat of the choking child. It's normal to want to get it out of there, but that will make the food more lodged.
    Oh my goodness that is so sad.
    don't breed or buy while shelter dogs die....

I have been frosted!

Thanks Kfamr for the signature!

OH my goodness adoremydogs that I horrible how sad. I can't even imagine.

Yeah I wouldn't have reached down her throat to try to sweep it out... there have been times where I have had to do the finger sweep to get something out that was still in her mouth but I am always afraid that I am going to end up pushing it down her throat so I really try to be careful.

thanks everyone

R.I.P my dear Sweet Teddy. You will be missed forever. We love you.

http://www.hannahshands.etsy.com

Glad she's okay! Andy saved me and a friend of a friend at the same party. The prime rib was sooo good that we were literally inhaling our dinners. Bad idea.
    ~Kimmy, Zam, Logan, Raptor, Nimrod, Mei, Jasper, Esme, & Lucy Inara
    RIP Kia, Chipper, Morla, & June

I think a couple of you have mistakened what I said.

I would never shove my entire hand/arm down a child's throat. What I was pointing out is that my CPR instructor stated to use your finger to scoop out what is in the throat.

I am a nursery attendant for toddlers and infants, and every Sunday, a 1 year old always finds something to choke on. Sometimes big, sometimes very small. Also, my friend's son had a sticker in his throat. There was no coughing that sucker up.

I know what I start choking on something, if I can't cough it up, I reach down into my throat.
    ~Sara, Daisy, Jessie, Jake, & Jackson

<3 Gone but never forgotten <3
    {Benjamin, Russell, Chester, Dexter, George Harrison, & Leeroy} {O.D.} {Trey} {John-Paul & Earl}

I'm sure that your instructor said that scoop what is in the MOUTH, versus throat. If s/he suggested you stick a finger past the mouth then that instructor needs to lose their license.
    Visit my website to learn about fabulous kitchen gadgets and cookware! www.pamperedchef.biz/melissawendl