Thread: Rough and tumble play?

Rough and tumble play?

There is a local PBS program called "A Place of Our Own"- I was channel surfing and I stopped when I heard the host of the show promoting a
    R and T play area in the home for children.

She stated that it promoted social interaction and getting kids to play and know what social behavior was acceptable with kids participating in those kinds of activities.

I was kinda shocked when I heard this-growing up we had to learn about standing tough and learning how to deal with running around and possibly getting hurt when we did.

I thought this was pretty cool and if I had kids I would think that this kind of play is quite all right - the host also suggested that the parents sit down before hand and explain to the children what kind of behavior was o.k. and which wasn't.

Good ideas for families with many kids.

Rough and tumble play area - heck I have that now - except it is the whole house - at least my three orange kids think so. I have sat them down and tried to explain but........................

Quote Originally Posted by gini View Post
    Rough and tumble play area - heck I have that now - except it is the whole house - at least my three orange kids think so. I have sat them down and tried to explain but........................
    Three to one?

You lose!

Truly. If I am not reminding Jonah of the virtues of NOT jumping from the couch onto the floor, or that avoiding large numbers of steps on the stairs CAN lead to pain, I am trying to explain to the cats that the mad dash from the living room to the bedroom is hazardous for everyone's health. I have had cuts on my feet from mistakenly walking into the path of a crazy kitten more times than I would like to admit.

No one listens, no one cares.

There was no R & T allowed inside the house when we grew up. It was an outside
    activity only.
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt