Thread: dog fighting

dog fighting

Hi, I have a 2 year old intact male mastiff (truman) a spayed 4 year old mastiff (cloe) and a 12 year old intact male little river (sam).All was well in our world until sometime last month when my boys took a liking to cloe.For some reason they wouldnt leave her alone smelling, licking, following her around...even licking the floor where she'd been laying after she got up.This went on for alomst a week and then our usually gentel calm truman attacked sam.I wasn't sure what to think.He's never displayed that type of behavior before... & there was no warning leading up to the attack....just BAM truman on sam....he did it again about a week later. The first thing I did was make an appointment to have truman neutered but he can't get in until dec3. I'm hoping this will stop the behavior.I've been keeping the boys seperated except for a few hours here & there with truman on a leash.He doesn't show any kind of aggression towards me, my husband, or my kids but it was a very tramatizing event, & i dont trust him around sam unleashed. I started to the nothing in life is free program with truman & it seems to be going well but we never really had any issues with him before.There has to something I can do with them without putting sam at risk.Anybody have any advice????

Is there a reason Sam is intact? Neutering both boys will likely cut down on a whole lot of the tension. You are doing the right thing being cautious, and the NILF program cannot hurt.

No reason...he was my first dog.I got him when i was 16 so it was lack of knowledge. I learned from him & he was our only dog until I got the mastiffs.By then the vet didn't recomend it because of his age.Truman on the other hand we got to breed.He's ckc reg. & has had all his health tests so it's a shame to have him neutered but I can't have him guarding cloe all the time...

Yes, it is better to get it done and life will be much calmer, I promise.

I sure hope so.It's a long way until december though to keep them seperated & a total pain in the @$$ lol I have more gates in my house now than when my kids were babies! I had them together today during supper (truman on leash of course) & all was well.Sam never ever starts with truman which is good.I'm just wondering what has them so attracted to cloe...she is fixed after all.

I would take Chloe to the vet, with a urine sample. It' spossible she has a urinary tract infection (UTI) or vaginal infection.

My spayed bitch gets a vaginal infection on occasion, and that gets the boys (yes, even the neutered one) very interested in her. A course of antibiotics usually clears it up.

I do agree that neutering a large bred dog, like a Mastiff, before he is 18 - 24 months old is not always a good thing. But the dimple fact that he is registered is not a good enough reason to breed him. In addtion, I have a question: what "CKC" are you referring to? If you mean Continental Kennel Club, GET HIM NEUTERED!!! Cont. KC is worthless, and will register a pair of socks if you provide a pedigree.

If you mean Canadian KC, you can show him, if his breeder considers him show quality. But I would discuss this with the breeder, as he/she would probably want to help you in any breeding ventures anyway.

But if he is not to be shown, or bred responsibly, please do get him neutered.
    Sarah, the human, Naples the Greyhound, Cooper, and Manero the Borzoi boys.
    Always in our hearts, Gunnar, and King-kitty, at the Rainbow Bridge.

Hair of the Dog by Doc's Blend GPA-WI NBRF

Quote Originally Posted by Sighthounds4me View Post
    I would take Chloe to the vet, with a urine sample. It' spossible she has a urinary tract infection (UTI) or vaginal infection.

My spayed bitch gets a vaginal infection on occasion, and that gets the boys (yes, even the neutered one) very interested in her. A course of antibiotics usually clears it up.

I do agree that neutering a large bred dog, like a Mastiff, before he is 18 - 24 months old is not always a good thing. But the dimple fact that he is registered is not a good enough reason to breed him. In addtion, I have a question: what "CKC" are you referring to? If you mean Continental Kennel Club, GET HIM NEUTERED!!! Cont. KC is worthless, and will register a pair of socks if you provide a pedigree.

If you mean Canadian KC, you can show him, if his breeder considers him show quality. But I would discuss this with the breeder, as he/she would probably want to help you in any breeding ventures anyway.

I agree 100%!!

Kaitlyn (the human)
    Sadie & Rita (Forever in Our Hearts) (the Labbies)

Quote Originally Posted by Sighthounds4me View Post

Agree 100% as well!
    "We give dogs the time we can spare, the space we can spare and the love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made" - M. Facklam

"We are raised to honor all the wrong explorers and discoverers - thieves planting flags, murderers carrying crosses. Let us at last praise the colonizers of dreams."- P.S. Beagle

"All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost. From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king." - J.R.R. Tolkien