Thread: AWESOME news article on Jay Baldwin serial cat killer case...

AWESOME news article on Jay Baldwin serial cat killer case...

Cruelty case me be closed to public
    By KATE RAMUNNI
    Staff writer
    Article Launched: 11/10/2008 11:04:25 PM EST

DERBY -- The public defender for Jay Baldwin, the former Ansonia resident accused of killing at least one kitten and mistreating several others that had to be euthanized, will ask Judge Karen Sequino Friday to close further proceedings in the case to the public -- much to the dismay of animal-rights advocates.

Baldwin, 57, was next due to appear in Derby Superior Court Nov. 25, when it is expected Sequino will rule on Public Defender Jonathan Gable's request for a newly created diversionary program for mentally ill offenders. But on Friday Gable will argue that the case should no longer be open to the public. He wouldn't say why he made the request.

"I don't have to tell you that," he told a reporter.

Gable's request comes after one animal-rights advocate was thrown out of the Derby courthouse.

Donna Ploss has been vocal in her belief that people who abuse animals are likely to also abuse people, especially children. On two occasions, her comments about Baldwin raised Gable's ire, and the last time he had her removed from the courthouse.

Ploss said she was waiting in line at the prosecutor's office when she made the remark to someone standing behind her.

"I said, 'If this guy ever gets out, he's going to go after little kids,' " she said. "He called the marshal over and had me taken out." A judicial marshal also told her that every time "you people" -- meaning those involved in animal rescues -- show up at court, they create chaos, Ploss said.

Last month, Gable asked the court to consider Baldwin for a new supervised diversionary program that went into effect Oct 1; it is similar to accelerated rehabilitation, a special form of probation for first-time offenders of less serious crimes, but is geared for those who may be suffering from a mental illness.

If granted later this month, Baldwin would be released from custody but put under a number of conditions imposed by the court that would closely monitor him.

That prospect has Ansonia resident Irene Hudabenko discouraged and disgusted.

She said she is discouraged that the man who adopted and reportedly killed the kitten she gave him might be granted a form of probation that would wipe out any record of the crime for which he is accused.

And, she said, she is disgusted at how she says the court system doesn't take animal cruelty charges seriously.

Hudabenko had two autopsies done on the kitten's body that showed, among other things, that the kitten didn't die from ingesting rat poison, as Gable has suggested. According to the reports, the kitten's head was filled with blood, suggesting it may have been struck or thrown against a wall.

"He tested negative for every active ingredient found in rat poisoning," Hudabenko said.

She also fears for her own safety, she said. It was her investigation into her kitten's death that led to the 10 counts of animal cruelty being lodged against Baldwin, and she said she fears retribution.

Equally disgusted is Shelton resident Elisa Osso. She said Baldwin came to her a year ago to adopt a cat, which also turned up dead just two weeks later.

"He seemed very sympathetic and sincere," she said. "He said he had just lost his cat and he was lonely, and when he picked up the cat he was in tears."

Osso said she was happy to have made what appeared to be an ideal placement for the homeless cat. But two weeks later, she received a call from Baldwin reporting the cat had died, she said.

"Two weeks later, he called and said the cat hadn't been eating and had died," she said. "He wanted another cat, but I said I didn't think so because his story just didn't pan out." She later learned that the Stratford Cat Project, for which she volunteers, had Baldwin on a "do-not-adopt" list as someone who abuses animals, Osso said.

Meanwhile, Hudabenko says she's baffled as to how, as the victim of the case, she could be barred from finding out what happens to Baldwin.

"Why are they trying to protect him so much?" she said.

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

Quote Originally Posted by moosmom View Post
    "Why are they trying to protect him so much?" she said.
    INDEED!!!

I also overlooked in previous posts that Baldwin is 57 years old, at least I think I did. Can you imagine how many animals he could have abused in all those years? I would think that the court would be concerned about protecting the animals instead of his sorry a$$. Well, I guess they're more concerned about protecting themselves from "you people". Grrrrr......
    Blessings,
    Mary

"Time and unforeseen occurrence befall us all." Ecclesiastes 9:11

Actually, the actual quote from this butch in a uniform was "Yous people". Nice, huh?? Where DO they get these idiots who want to play cop wannabe.

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    Well - in my opinion (for all it's worth) - this jerk should not get any break of any kind. Since the offenses occured BEFORE Oct 1st when the"diversionary program for mentally ill offenders" went in to effect, then it should not apply to him. When I think of someone as being "mentally ill", I do have some degree of compassion for them, depending on the circumstances. This monster is just a sick, twisted s.o.b., and saying he is mentally ill just sugar coats the whole issue. I hope he rots in h&ll!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

Pomptzu,

I totally agree with you. That's why the prosecutor is fighting it with everything he's got. What I don't understand is what is it they're trying to hide to try and make it a closed door session. Every single one of us (with the exception of idiot Evelyn who can't seem to keep her mouth shut) are very respectful when we're in the courtroom. Once any decision is made with respect to Jay Baldwin, we file out of the courtroom very quietly and in order. That's when Evelyn opens her big mouth mf-ing everyone in her way. The problem with that is all the Marshalls think it's me!!! Evelyn has a German accept, I don't. DUH!!!

WHATEVER HAPPENED TO FREEDOM OF SPEECH, AND I COMMEND OUR FRIEND DONN FOR HAVUING THE COURAGE TO SAY WHAT NEEDED TO BE SAID.
    ITS SAD THAT THIS SADIST HAS MORE RIGHTS THAN WE DO
    THE RAINBOW BRIDGE FOUND HOTEL ANGELS HAVE A NEW FRIEND IN CORINNA.

ALMOND ROCCA BATON AND ELLIE ANGELS ARE GUARDIANS TO ETERNAL KITTENS ROCC-EL AND T TEEN ANGEL, ALMOND ROCA , VLAD , PAWLEE , SPRITE. LITTLE HEX, OSIRIS AND ANNIE ANGELS.
    EBONY BEAU TUBSTER AND PEACHES BW SPIKE & SMOKEY

NOW PRECIOUS AND SAM ARE TOGETHER WITH ETERNAL KITTENS SAMMY ,PRESLEY, SYLVESTER AND SCRATCHY JR , MIGHTY MARINA, COSMIC CARMEN, SAMSON ,UNDER KITTY AND SUNKIST AUTUMN & PUMPKIN.
    MIA AND ORANGE BLOSSOM ANGELS HAVE ADOPTED TUXIE , TROOPER , SONGBIRD AND LITTLE BITTY KITTIES MIA-MI BLOSSOMER, TUXEDO AND DASH AS THIER ETERNAL KITTENS.
    PRINCESS JOSEPH AND MICHAEL ARE CELEBRATING 19 YEARS AS LUCKY FOUND CATS

Wow, Donna, that's quite an article. At 57 years old, this creepazoid has probably been abusing animals for a very long time but the really frightening thing is Baldwin doesn't see that he's doing anything wrong. This loser is beyond any hope of rehabilitation so why waste the time and money? What I have in mind for this bottom feeder involves a dull knife on the court house steps at high noon! (if you get my drift)
    Like all kitties the only thing they wanted was to be loved and cared for and each victim deserved a chance to be someone's loving and loyal companion. Who did this low life think he was, depriving baby kittens of THEIR right to life?
    A message to the Judge: This piece of toxic waste has no place in a community with decent, respectful citizens. The good folks deserve much better as do their pets. Forget about an untried rehabilitation program, lock Baldwin up in some remote section of your jail then forget where you left him! And send me the key to his cell, I promise to lose it ASAP!
    You Go Donna!!!!!
    And should you get the chance, please harm him for me?
    FIND A PURPOSE IN LIFE.....BE A BAD EXAMPLE

I have to disagree with you, Momcat!! Instead of locking up this creep by himself, I think he should go into the general jail population. They have their own code and surely would take care of him!!! Just another Jeffrey Dalhmer(sp?)kind of guy out there killing cats!! Have to wonder, what and possibly WHO else might he have harmed!!! I have to keep reminding myself: He will have to face a far HIGHER AUTHORITY some day.
    Nine is Fine!!

The prosecutor is going for both jail time AND time in a maximum security psychiatric facility. There's a hearing tomorrow. I'll post the minute I get back from the courthouse.

Thanks, Eileen.
    Last edited by moosmom; 11-14-2008 at 08:16 PM.

Start with the legs, Donna - he should suffer too!

(Maxine???? )
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

Can't wait to hear the update. Praying for justice for the cats.....
    Blessings,
    Mary

"Time and unforeseen occurrence befall us all." Ecclesiastes 9:11

Anybody who mistreats any other living creature can surely be found to have some problems with mental health. Why should this excuse them from being punished for the harm they have done to any other creature capable of suffering?
    I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery

The judge ruled that at the next court date, the courtroom will be cleared so a psychiatrist can testify behind closed doors as to his mental competence. Then they'll bring everyone back in. She will get to speak. The state is objecting to his application. The 25th I think will be our last hurrah.
    *sigh* I'm tired.

Oh, oh, I forgot to tell you...as we were stand outside with out signs, a woman pulled over and started talking about adopting cats from HER!!! She's going to speak to the Animal Advocate. So far two other people have come forward. How the HE** more do they expect.

Hmpf!!!