Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The vet is baffled, maybe PTers will know

The vet is baffled, maybe PTers will know

I took my Dad's cat, Miss Kitty, to the vet for her annual. I've been concerned because she's lost weight and she is drinking a lot. I was shocked to find out she has lost over 2 1/2 pounds since last October. She's down to 6 1/2 pounds now. The vet said we needed to run blood test to find out if it's thyroid, kidneys or diabetes. Well after $150 in tests all we found out is her liver enzyme is a little elevated and the vet said it was typical for a cat her age, 13 or so years old, and not to worry. Every thing else came back absolutely normal.

So, what do you guys think is going on with Miss Kitty? She's indoor/outdoor (usually just sleeps on the porch in the sunlight all day), she isn't eating as much but still eats pretty good, she drinks more water and she still hunts the occasional mouse. The only other things I've noticed is her coat is dull and she doesn't use the litterbox much, she must be going outside most the time.

The vet just said to watch her and to bring her back in a few months to check her weight.

From Decker with Love

I have no clue Lori, but I will be sending out Prayers for your Dad's cat, Miss Kitty, that it is just related to old age and nothing serious.

R.I.P. my Precious Katie, Katie Pretty Lady.
    Oct. 1991 - Oct. 9, 2005
    R.I.P. my Beloved Wild Hair Wee Willy Winky
    April 8, 2005 - June 19, 2009
    R.I.P. my best friend Buddy.
    Sept. 1993 - Feb. 04, 2010
    R.I.P. my handsome Mooky.
    July 24, 2002 - April 1, 2010

I was worried about my Boo Bear a year ago or so and had him checked out for the same reason. He was 16 then. His tests came back normal and Dr. Lee said that some cats just get thin as they get older, just like humans. (Not this human; I wish) Maybe the same thing is going on w/Miss Kitty. (I hope)
    Blessings,
    Mary

"Time and unforeseen occurrence befall us all." Ecclesiastes 9:11

Quote Originally Posted by jazzcat View Post
    run blood test to find out if it's thyroid, kidneys or diabetes.
    Hmm that is odd, and those three tests are the big ones when weight loss and drinking more water are concerned.

I'm glad things came out normal, but darn if I know what's going on with the kitty. Maybe a recheck on the lab work in a month if the weight loss and drinking continue and to make sure the liver tests have not increased more? Other than that maybe a second opinon?

If you ever do find out something please let us know. I hope the kitty gains some weight back and continues to feel good.

RIP Dusty July 2 2007 RIP Sabrina June 16 2011 RIP Jack July 2 2013 RIP Bear July 5 2016 RIP Pooky June 23 2018. RIP Josh July 6 2019 RIP Cami January 6 2022

Quote Originally Posted by Medusa View Post
    I was worried about my Boo Bear a year ago or so and had him checked out for the same reason. He was 16 then. His tests came back normal and Dr. Lee said that some cats just get thin as they get older, just like humans. (Not this human; I wish) Maybe the same thing is going on w/Miss Kitty. (I hope)
    Same here with Taz when he was just 11 years old. He went from 18lbs down to 12lbs in a very short time. All tests came back A-OK. He is maintaining his weight around the 12lbs mark here two years later.

Well, I hope Miss Kitty's numbers stay level and do not get higher and that this is just "old lady" issues.
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

If you are really concerned, a second opinion might be in order. But you might want to wait a little while.

Is she eating, etc and are her spirits and energy good?

Adding a good Omega 3 - 6 oil to her food (wet food) can add luster back to her coat and can help energy as well.

HUGS and prayers for Miss Kitty.
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

No ideas, but lots of prayers.

It might just be a bit of senility. I know with elderly people, they tend to lose their appetites or even forget to eat as they get older!
    Kim Loves Cats and Doggies Too!

Quote Originally Posted by kimlovescats View Post
    It might just be a bit of senility. I know with elderly people, they tend to lose their appetites or even forget to eat as they get older!
    Well she is my Dad's cat, lol. She may just be following him about forgetting to eat.

Thanks for the input and well wishes everyone. Maybe it is just an age thing. Now that I think about it Ripley lost a lot of weight around that age too but he was diagnosed with CRF, could have been a coincidence.

Miss K's energy level is pretty good and she doesn't really act like anything is wrong.

From Decker with Love

Maybe she ate something that wasn't good for her? If her liver's acting up, try offering her a drop of vitamin E squirted on the tip of your finger. It's very safe - I give two capsules' worth a day to Smudge as a treat, just because he likes it so much! Cats who eat a lot of fish need extra vitamin E.

Love, Columbine

my kiki at around 18 years old lost some weight in a few months that i didn't notice to to much(appeared pretty normal)
    but i was calling my vet and bringing him in...come to find out after
    normal bloodwork...it was his mouth or teeth.(or even a tounge ulcer)
    he said it was mouth cancer.
    i thought that it may have been an infection from a canine tooth out and he didn't want to tell me.
    I liked the vet a lot so i didn't question...but we had to put him down.
    I was devistated because i felt bad that he was in pain all that time and i didn't know.
    He was eating but not much.
    but i know it was something in his mouth that made him ill...i felt terrible not knowing earlier.

i would have a good look inside his mouth lori if you can...or have the vet do it.
    anyway...i hope he is ok.

Thank You Kim for this wonderful siggy

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power ,the world will know peace" jimi hendrix

Whatever it is I hope it's nothing serious. Catfamily does make a good point in that maybe her mouth is sore. How are her teeth? Has she had her teeth cleaned before?

Maybe her sense of smell isn't as good as it used to be either and this is why she's eating less. She may need some stinkier food to help to make her eat better. I'll keep her in my thoughts and prayers.

What about her pancreas? Just throwing that out there.

I will pray for her.

Thank you so much Michelle!

Please be responsible, spay and neuter your pets!

I've been BOO'd!!! Thanks Lori!

MICHAEL THE DREAMS HAVING THE SAME PROBLEM AT 17, HE HAS NO INTEREST SOME DAYS, NOT EVEN IN CHICKEN WHICH USED TO BE HIS FAVORITE.
    IF ITS NOT THOSE THINGS OR HIS TEETH, I AM PUZZLED.
    PRAYERS ARE COMING FOR YOUR DADS CAT, THE ONLY THING I COULD SUGGEST IS TRY KITTEN FOOD OR A SOFT PATE FOOD.
    THAT WORKS WHEN THE FOUND CATS GO OFF THIER FOOD SOMETIMES
    THE RAINBOW BRIDGE FOUND HOTEL ANGELS HAVE A NEW FRIEND IN CORINNA.

ALMOND ROCCA BATON AND ELLIE ANGELS ARE GUARDIANS TO ETERNAL KITTENS ROCC-EL AND T TEEN ANGEL, ALMOND ROCA , VLAD , PAWLEE , SPRITE. LITTLE HEX, OSIRIS AND ANNIE ANGELS.
    EBONY BEAU TUBSTER AND PEACHES BW SPIKE & SMOKEY

NOW PRECIOUS AND SAM ARE TOGETHER WITH ETERNAL KITTENS SAMMY ,PRESLEY, SYLVESTER AND SCRATCHY JR , MIGHTY MARINA, COSMIC CARMEN, SAMSON ,UNDER KITTY AND SUNKIST AUTUMN & PUMPKIN.
    MIA AND ORANGE BLOSSOM ANGELS HAVE ADOPTED TUXIE , TROOPER , SONGBIRD AND LITTLE BITTY KITTIES MIA-MI BLOSSOMER, TUXEDO AND DASH AS THIER ETERNAL KITTENS.
    PRINCESS JOSEPH AND MICHAEL ARE CELEBRATING 19 YEARS AS LUCKY FOUND CATS

Mollie Rose, who is 16, has lost alot of weight which I atttribute to her age. She had blood work done back in January and everything was normal.

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!