Thread: Bart - Rest In Peace my sweet boy

Bart - Rest In Peace my sweet boy

On Friday November 8, 2008 I euthanised my 11 year old German Shepard/Greater Swiss Mountain Dog, Bart. Bart went downhill VERY quickly. There were very small signs that I had dismissed and the vet and I both thought it was just his age and size playing parts. Every few months Bart would have trouble switching sides while lying down. He would get "stuck". The vet attributed this to arthritis in his hips. On Monday I woke up t find that Bart could not move his back legs at times and he had urinated on the carpet. When I took him out he wobbled around as if he was drunk. The sad part was the front end was fine. He was happy and licking us and sitting and giving his paw. As long as he didn't have to move anywhere. The next day was worse. I put him in the laundry room in case of accidents and so he didn't try the stairs while I was out. Wednesday was awful...my husband went upstairs and Bart followed him. Then Bart tried to come back down. He fell half way down and then urinated all over himself and the stairs. My husband had to lift his 120 lb. body down the remaining 8 stairs. He again wobbled til he was steady or fell down. I found this group that night. The vet thought arthritis, pulled back muscle, degenerative joints in his back, herniated disc, etc. No one ever mentioned DM. When I read the symptoms and watched videos...I knew. He had an uncontollable thirst which puzzled us since all of his tests and lab work was normal. My husband and I cried...Bart had helped us raise our two daughters, 9 and 3. He was that dog that you have once in a lifetime. He loved kittens and was an excellent surrogate father. He loved all kids and would cry pitifully if he couldn't meet them. He would "talk" to us as our cars pulled up to the house to welcome us home. He loved to catch snowballs in the winter and was always excited on the first day of snow. I wish I had learned of this terrible disease sooner...I would have done anything to help my sweet Bart. We will receive his ashes back this week and have a memorial service. It just breaks my heart that he was still so alert and happy to go on that fateful car ride to our vets on Friday. I will let everyone I know who owns dogs that are prone to DM about the warning signs and hope that they will not have to experience what our family went through.
    Goodbye my prince......
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	anna and bart Halloween 2002.jpg 
Views:	113 
Size:	69.3 KB 
ID:	40761   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0023.JPG 
Views:	119 
Size:	67.9 KB 
ID:	40762   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0031.JPG 
Views:	122 
Size:	64.7 KB 
ID:	40763  

I'm so very sorry for your loss.
    ~Kimmy, Zam, Logan, Raptor, Nimrod, Mei, Jasper, Esme, & Lucy Inara
    RIP Kia, Chipper, Morla, & June

So very sorry to hear the loss of Bart.... he is now painless and happy, being able to run again at the Rainbow Bridge..
    You're the one sure thing I've found so you better stick around...
    Best Fireman in da House´10
    dedicated to the kindest,loveliest and always helpful man that one would be honored and proud to know........R.I.P. Dear Phred

Awww, I am so sorry. Such a sad story. But Bart is pain free and is able to run around and play again at the bridge.

RIP Bart
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

Unhappy

Oh my. I'm sorry for your lost. Rest in peace, Bart.

I'm sitting here crying like a baby. What a sad story. I'm so very sorry. I know you're missing him terribly.

Rest in Peace Handsome Man Now you can run and be free at the bridge, Bart

I've been Boo'd...
    Thanks Barry!

I am so very sorry for your loss. I can tell Bart was much loved. RIP, sweet boy. Send your family a message...

I am so very sorry for your loss, your family will be in my prayers.
    I have been Boo'd!!!!!

My heart breaks for you and your family. DM is devastating. RIP, Bart.
    Save a life, ADOPT!!
    Sue

Rainbow Bridge Angels: Thor, Shiloh and Killian, Avalanche and Wolf
    (RB Gaylord and Bandit, fosters who have touched my heart)