Thread: Remedies for Allergies

Remedies for Allergies

Hello,

I have a 9 month old female Cocker Spaniel, Sophie. She has had the following: cherry eye, chronic anal gland problems, ear infections, urinary infections. Currently, we are experiencing an allergic reaction to something. The vet says it could be food, but it most likely is something in the environment or even grass. I am giving her two Benadryl a day, but she's not responding to this. She continues to bit her feet and scratch (especially bad in the morning). I am baffled by all the problems she has had. If she was a car, I would say we purchased a lemon. LOL! All kidding aside we do love her.

Does anyone know of any natural remedies that I could try? I have googled pet allergy relief, but numerous sites come up and everyone has something to sell.

Thanks!

Listen to your vet. Try a grain free diet.
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

Time to start what we call an "elimination diet." Try her for a few days on very simple food, maybe just chicken and some rice and see how she does. There are dog food that have very simple ingredient lists, look for those. After a few days on chicken and rice you can try adding more, like hamburger - but just add one thing per try, and be leery of treats - simple things like pieces of carrot are good and simple, and some dogs love them.

I am a human who has food allergies, and sadly have been through this myself. It's annoying and a pain, but life is so much more comfortable once you can avoid allergens!
    I've Been Frosted

Cincy, our youngest pup, has allergies. We did a blood test with her, and she is now on immunotherapy shots. Her allergies are dust mites, and they get worse in the winter. I give her the shots at home, about 1x a month in the summer, and every week-10 days in the winter. It has made a huge difference for her.

Diet change will probably be beneficial depending on what you feed. Grain free is the way to go. Elimination diet to find out what she is allergic to.
    Monica Callahan KPA-CTP *Woohoo!*

Every year starting in Aug. my dog gets allergy to something in grass, lasts for 2 mos, then goes away. Trim the hair on the paws, and wash his feet after being outdoors, vacuum frequently, try booties when outside, or a pair of socks attached over the shoulder by a ribbon. Smear cortisone cream/ointment between toes.
    Grain/corn free food definitely, raw is excellent, can be bought frozen. For anal gland issues try adding bran or pumpkin for additional fiber in food. Larger bowel movement can help keep glands expressed. Good luck!

You have received great advice, all I can do is echo it!

Pumpkin - canned, and NOT pumpkin pie filling which includes spices etc. - about 2 tablespoons in the food daily will help w/ anal gland issues. As mentioned, you need to bulk up the stool.

Grain free diet - your pup will be healthier all around, better able to fight off infections when she does get them. Any rated "6 stars" on here are great:
    www.dogfoodanalysis.com

What laundry detergent do you use? Many dogs are allergic to Tide. Use a "FREE" laundry detergent with no dyes, etc. as this may also help (and can't hurt!)

For the itch: use Gold Bond Medicated Powder. Not this is NOT a cure of the underlying issue, which you should continue to work on. This gives the doggie some relief from all that ITCH!

You said urinary infections, plural. In a dog of 9 months, this is worrisome. Consider using a supplement. Dr. Foster & Smith have Cranhealth which is advised for dogs who have had bladder stones. One of the common types of bladder stones starts with chronic UTIs, and the dog may have stones by age 4. This is a prevention measure:
    http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...m?pcatid=21560

Any dog with "drop" ears, like your Cocker and my bichons, need to have the ears kept clean. You can get an oti cleanser and use that once or twice a week to prevent the infections. This is the one I use (this is NOT the site I order from!)
    http://www.healthypets.com/oticlens.html

What is the remedy of Human feet fungus?