Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Something is wrong with Taz, New Question Post #39

Well, we just got back from the cardiologist. And the news was good. By that I mean he is exactly as my regular doctor thought; he has a valve that is not working properly, but his heart is only slightly enlarged and it should really not be effecting him at all. She said he doesn't need any medications and has no restrictions on any activity or surgeries whatsoever. The only sort of down part of that is that I do not know what is causing him to stop eating, become lethargic, and shake. What we do know is that it isn't his heart, lungs, liver, kidneys, parasites or tick-borne illnesses. The cardiologist suggested that if he does it again, I should request that my doctor x-ray or ultrasound his stomach for a bleed. She said some sort of stomach infection (okay she said cancer) can cause a small bleed, and it could be absorbed back into the system in a few days and the symptoms would improve. But she is just sort of grabbing at straws, because we haven't found a reason for his behavior. So at this point, I am just going to be happy that I have a healthy little boy, and hope that he doesn't become ill again.

Quote Originally Posted by Ginger's Mom View Post
    I am just going to be happy that I have a healthy little boy, and hope that he doesn't become ill again.
    so are we... let´s hope he stays healthy and doesn´t worry you again...((hugs))
    Corinna´s Christmas Card Swap ´06
    dedicated to a lovely woman who won many hearts along her life...........
    she will be deeply missed.......Thank you for letting us be a part of your life, you will surely remain in ours FOREVER........R.I.P. Dear Corinna

Best Fireman in da House´10
    dedicated to the kindest,loveliest and always helpful dude that one would be honored and proud to know........R.I.P. Dear Phred

notes-to-my-husband blog

http://365project.org/isabelle/365

Good news! Stay well Taz!
    http://petoftheday.com/talk/signaturepics/sigpic9646_1.gif
    Forever in my heart...
    Casey.Ginger.Corey.Mandy.Sassy
    Lacey.Angel.Missy.Jake.Layla

Good news!! Glad things went well and sure hope Taz will stay feeling well!

Pawsitive healthy thoughts and prayers, Taz. Be well!

What a relief all Taz' test came back good. Lots of good vibes on the way for the little man, here's hoping the Vets can figure out whats going on.

{{Hugs}}
    Rhi *Hooman* Clover *Rottie x ACD* (RIP to my BRD) Elvis and Tinny *The BCs* & Harri *JRT* Luna *BC x*

Glad to hear the results were good.
    Just thinking here, but I wonder if Taz might be having petit-mal seizures. That is what Zoee has and when they first started her symptoms were shaking (like she was scared), rapid heart rate and drooling. Then more symptoms began to appear each time she had one. She then began to be disoriented and this year developed a twitch of her head.
    One big difference is Zoee would actually still eat during her seizures. But most of the other things are very similar. I don't want to scare you, but we go through them at least once or twice a year. There's really nothing to do about it while they are petit (I guess). If they progress I'd eventually have to put Zoee on a daily medicine.
    Again, this is just my thinking. I could be totally wrong.

Anyway, hugs to you, Taz and Ginger!
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

Great to hear! Lots of love for Taz.
    ~Kimmy, Zam, Logan, Raptor, Nimrod, Mei, Jasper, Esme, & Lucy Inara
    RIP Kia, Chipper, Morla, & June

Okay, I know that a number of Pet Talkers have some experience with this. Could it be pancreatitis? I really think it is an abdominal related issue. I know that doctors have pressed and pushed and he hasn't reacted. But he isn't eating or drinking, and he stands hunched over and shakes. I took a look online and it looks like it should have shown up in his blood tests, and it didn't. I don't know if that means it definitely cannot be that. Also I have been doing everything possible to make him eat, but maybe I shouldn't do that and see if he feels better. I don't know. I am still trying to find ways to make him feel better. Thanks for listening fellow PTers.

I'm glad to hear that his heart is fine but I'm sorry to hear that he's not eating or drinking again. I don't know what it could be but hopefully your vet will be able to find out what's causing this and will be able to easily treat it. Taz will remain in my thoughts and prayers.

Joyce, I know nothing about the symptoms you're talking about. I do know the pain and worry of having a sick pup. Both you and Taz will be in my prayers.
    http://petoftheday.com/talk/signaturepics/sigpic9646_1.gif
    Forever in my heart...
    Casey.Ginger.Corey.Mandy.Sassy
    Lacey.Angel.Missy.Jake.Layla

Addison's disease causes shaking and not eating as well. Our labradoodle died suddenly from it. But those were the beginning symptoms. My best to your pal.

Cincy had an unconfirmed bout of pancreatitis a few years back (ER vet thought is is what is was, our vet wasn't sure based on lab results, but she was feeling better quick so we never looked into it any further). In that cse, she was vomitting a great deal, but never had the shakes.

Mom's Snoopy also had some serious bouts of pancreatitis. His was caused by high fat content in his blood. The poor boy had so many health issues it is hard to keep the symptoms of his problems staright, but I don't recall any shaking with that, just vomitting a great deal of bile.

I do remember one vet telling us the hunching and also trying to strecth the abdominal area a lot that might be an indication that there is pain.

Sure wish Taz was feeling better

Awww Joyce, I'm just now seeing this. I hope Taz will be fine. No matter what, he sure is lucky that you're his mama as we all know he will get the best care there with you!

Thank you sooo much everyone for your continued concern and support. Okay, so from the posts above, definitely not pancreatitis, because there has been no vomitting (thank goodness). However, I am still pretty sure it is a reaction to something he ate, something I gave him to eat. I think I may now have an idea what it may have been. So I will see how he does if I keep him away from those treats anyway.

ETA: I just checked out a website on Addison's, very scary. And if Taz didn't have some of the spark back in his eyes last night I would be very scared right now. But I think for the moment, I will just keep an eye on him and see if he improves if I keep him away from the beef jerky. But thanks for bringing it to my attention Chermes, it is something to be aware of if this is a continuing problem.
    Last edited by Ginger's Mom; 11-14-2008 at 01:50 PM.