Thread: Bed Peeing II - Male Cat

Bed Peeing II - Male Cat

My male cat, who is a neutered 7-year old, has been peeing on my bed every day for 2 weeks now. It is covered by a plastic sheet, but that doesn't seem to phase him at all. He does it mainly when I'm not home, though I have spent whole days at home with him, and he'll pee when I'm asleep, or when I leave the room. I've only caught him once and a I threw a fit and yelled and screamed and then I felt like a big jerk.

He only does it once a day, and uses the litterbox for all of his other business. I've read the other posts and I don't know what to do. Any other suggestions?

Have you tried putting tinfoil on the bed? It could be a little expensive, but maybe it worth a try. Cats don't like walking on tinfoil, or at least that's what I've heard.
    I've been Defrosted!

Thanks for the great signature Kay!

I've heard that, but it didn't work for my landlord's cat, who has been peeing in the hallway -- we put down tin foil and he just peed on it! When I saw that, I figured it wouldn't work with my cat either. Thanks anyway, though!

I'm assuming you have taken him to the vet and he doesn't have a UTI? You might try some of the sprays they have to keep pets away. I know you can buy them at Petsmart and such. Usually something with a citrus smell will work. Maybe if you crinkle the tinfoil up a little so it's not just flat tinfoil. Maybe it will make more noise or something that he might not like. Can't think of anything else right now, but I'm sure someone else will have more suggestions. Good luck!!!
    Tubby
    Spring 1986 - Dec. 11, 2004
    RIP Big Boy
    -----------
    Peanut
    Fall 1988 - Jan. 24, 2007
    RIP Snotty Girl
    -----------
    Robin
    Fall 1997 - Oct. 6, 2012
    RIP Sweet Monkeyhead Girl

I agree that a vet visit sounds like its in order since this is such new behavior.

The last thing I would do is to put plastic on my bed since that is Sidney's favorite thing to pee on (he's normally such a wonderful kitty )

Was there a change in routine in your house in the past couple of weeks? It sure sounds like he's trying to tell you something.

Or, maybe try giving him cat food treats on the bed? I've heard that cats don't like to eat and pee at the same place.

Good luck and welcome to Pet Talk (love your name )

After a clean bill of health at the vets...and you can be taught a way to check for a blockage (at least with males)...probably best done in person by the vet....think if there is anything different/strange/upsetting in your life right now. Maybe he is reacting to something, and now is in a pattern??? I think retraining is always helpful with a cat (or dog or child)...maybe a week of a dog crate with the box in there? Or locking your room? Are you washing away as much of the scent as you can? I have heard good things about the spray (feliway, I think).

There is a reason it is happening, most likely, and you just have to figure it out. There is supposed to be some theory behind putting the food on the bed...he won't go where he eats. I don't know if that really works. Stick with it! and good luck.

Boo did this twice...

so I just keep the door to my bedroom closed when I leave. The smell of cat urine is very hard to get out, and they'll continue to use your bed if they smell it. Just block his access to it.

Hello Everyone! Thank you all for the warm welcome and all of your good advice. The saga continues!

I haven't yelled at him at all the past few days and have been giving him lots of extra attention. When I see him using the litterbox, I give him catnip. (Positive reinforcement couldn't hurt!)

I moved the food onto the bed and moved the litterbox into the bedroom, and that lasted one whole day. Then this morning, a lovely wet surprise (though not a *big* surprise) on the plastic sheet again.

I cleaned the plastic sheet with vinegar, and moved the food back to where it was, so that Jiji, my female kitty, won't have to suffer for Puck's (the naughty pee-er) bad behavior.

We have an appt. at the vet for this evening, so I will update you guys when I know more. (We would have gone sooner, but I just got paid!)

Soledad, I *would* close the bedroom door, but my apartment set-up has my bedroom and living room attached (no door)--and the kitchen and bathroom are on the other side of the apartment --which is where my roommate's cat Johnny lives.

Unfortunately, the last time Puck and Johnny tangled, lots of hissing and yowling and fur flying! Puck ended up with an abscess and a vet visit. I actually had to throw water on them, because the last time I tried to just grab Puck to stop him he attacked me! (And another time, my roommate!)

He's really living up to his name, isn't he? But he's a huge sweetie most of the time, a real lap cat and snuggler.
    I will have to get some pictures scanned so I can share them.

There is actually a lot more to this situation; my routine has changed since I started school, but also the weather has cooled off and Puck is a lot more active -- he seems to want to go outside but of course I can't let him out there on the streets of Brooklyn alone. I just moved here in April and my last apartment was a lot bigger; but he didn't seem to mind so much initially.

I've taken him out to the front yard and sat with him but he just cries to be let back inside. And then, I *could* let him out to the back yard, except my landlord's cats are out there and they have EIGHT cats! So we're an 11 cat house, and Puck feels like a prisoner...or maybe he is mad that I'm not home enough (but really, I *have* spent extra time with him, and he is still peeing).

Soooo, we will see what the vet has to say.

Again, thank you all for your help!!!!

Cat-astrophic >*<

Hi,

One other thing that you might try is the plastic bubble wrap. Most cats don't like to walk on plastic (although that doesn't seem to stop Sindey ). Some cats don't like the feel of the uneven surface and the potential for the bubble pop. You can buy this stuff in bulk (so it is cheaper than tinfoil) at most places that sell office supplies (e.g. Office Depot etc).

Maybe this will help if the vet says that everything else is okay.

I've got a similar situation with my female Maya. She has been peeing in my bed,and Sunday morning peed on my legs in bed. This morning again she peed on the couch where I slept last night because the bed was wet with the enzymatic cleaner that I treated it with to get ride of the odour.Fortunatley I was not on the couch at the time. Like you I'm back at school,a major change in her routine and she is very possesive of me. Her littermate Bodhi had the nerve to sleep at my feet last night, hence the marking with peepee. She is at the vets overnight to be tested. There is a spray called Feliway and an anti-anxiety medication that the vet will give me if she has no health problems. I love her dearly and lavish attention on her but it doesn't seem to be enough. Good luck with your guy, I'm hopeful that this situation can be remedied with time ,patience and enzymatic cleaners.
    Fresh lemon peel placed on the spots are also supposed to be deterrants.

The Verdict Is In:

No UTI, No Blockage.

Which was what I feared/suspected/hoped. I don't want Puck to be sick, but it would certainly be easier to fix! My vet said it's definitely a behavioral issue, and told me that Puck is "one pissed off cat," and that is the only way he can tell me. :P

He gave me the number to a pet behaviorist who will make a 1-3 hour house call for a hefty fee. I'm going to keep trying, but if this continues I will have to have him over as an early Christmas present to myself! (After I get my student loans!)

Thank you to lailamara and emily_the_spoiled for the bubblewrap & lemon peel suggestions -- I'm going to go empty out the lemon bin in the fridge! And until I get bubblewrap some aluminum foil probably won't hurt either. (Thanks guys for the crinkled suggestion.)

Oh, our fragile-feeling-felines! What cartwheels we do just to hear that sweet purr beneath their silky fur -- who is sillier? The cat or the catlover? (Bedtime for this student and her kitties...)

Cheers,

--Cat-astrophic >*<

Cat astropic, Same verdict here. No health problems, it's a behavoural issue too. She's coming home with meds and the lemon peel is keeping my other cat away from where I've put the stuff. Good luck and keep me posted on how it goes. Remember you are not the only one going through this and we will retrain them. We will. We will!!!!

I have had this problem with my cat, Luna. She's female and was 7 months when it started, getting spayed did not help. She's doing it to show me that she disagree with things, for example when I'm coming home late or that she thinks her litter boxes have to be cleaned (I had to set up a second litter box and I have to clean them twice a day; by peeing on my bed, she taught me that she wants it that way).

What I try to say is that - when there is no medical reason for this - a cat often choses this behavior to tell us that he/she is not happy with a situation. We "only" have to find out what it is and then try to avoid the problem if possible.

However, apart from this, my vet also recommended to use a spray called "Feliway", made of synthetic facial pheromones of the cat, the pheromone P3 to be exact. Since a cat associates a comfortable place with that scent or its "nest area", it won't pee there. I've tried that, and it worked.

Kirsten