Thread: RIP Michael Crichton

RIP Michael Crichton

One of my favorite authors.

Michael Crichton, the million-selling author of such historic and prehistoric science thrillers as "Jurassic Park," "Timeline" and "The Andromeda Strain," has died of cancer, his family said.

He died Tuesday in Los Angeles at age 66 after a long battle with the illness.

Crichton was a brand-name author, known for his stories of disaster and systematic breakdown, such as the rampant microbe of "The Andromeda Strain" or dinosaurs running amok in "Jurassic Park," one of his many books that became major Hollywood movies.

"Through his books, Michael Crichton served as an inspiration to students of all ages, challenged scientists in many fields, and illuminated the mysteries of the world in a way we could all understand," his family said in a statement.

The 6-foot-9-inch author was also a screenwriter and filmmaker, earning producing and writing credits for the film versions of many of his titles. He also created the TV hospital series "ER" in 1994.

In recent years, he was the rare writer to get on well with President Bush, perhaps because of his skepticism about global warming, which Crichton addressed in the 2004 novel, "State of Favor." Crichton's views were strongly condemned by environmentalists, who alleged that the author was hurting efforts to pass legislation to reduce emissions of carbon dioxide.

A new novel by Crichton had been tentatively scheduled to come next month, but publisher HarperCollins said the book was postponed indefinitely because of his illness.

"While the world knew him as a great storyteller that challenged our preconceived notions about the world around us — and entertained us all while doing so — his wife Sherri, daughter Taylor, family and friends knew Michael Crichton as a devoted husband, loving father and generous friend who inspired each of us to strive to see the wonders of our world through new eyes," his family said.

From Decker with Love

Mine too. I was so shocked to see this on the news this morning.

RIP to a great author.
    ~Kimmy, Zam, Logan, Raptor, Nimrod, Mei, Jasper, Esme, & Lucy Inara
    RIP Kia, Chipper, Morla, & June

RIP to one of the best authors of our time. He was talented as not only an author but a screenwriter too *ER is a GREAT series IMO*

I think my favorite book of his was Sphere, followed closely by Andromeda Strain.

It was the movie The Andromeda Strain (the original, not the remake!)which really ignited my interest in becoming a scientist. RIP, Michael Crichton.
    I've been finally defrosted by cassiesmom!
    "Not my circus, not my monkeys!"-Polish proverb

I didn't know about this until now. I will admit that I have only read one book by him: Jurrasic Park... I always loved the book far more than the movie. I must have read it a dozen times or more over the years. It has been a favorite of mine since the first time I picked it up.

Rest easy, Mr. Crichton. Forever you will live on in the great works you have left behind.
    The Minions:
    {The Dog: Towser & Raiden} {The Cats: Khaith, Martha, Adelaide, Snowball, & Floki} {The Bird: Gir}

He was a favorite author of mine as well. I have read all of his books and loved them. "Terminal Man" and "Prey" are so exciting!!!

Another great loss.

I've been Boooo'd!

He was one of my favourite authors, too. Just read Jurassic Park again only a couple of months ago.

I was watching all the election reports on cnn yesterday when they suddenly brought the news. Really sad!

Kirsten

RIP...

One of the best authors ever.

Loved TIMELINE.

Quote Originally Posted by RICHARD View Post
    RIP...

One of the best authors ever.

Loved TIMELINE.

I really like that one too. I saw the movie - stinker! I never thought they did his books justice in movies except for Jurassic Park. I saw that movie first and then read the book so that may be why. That movie was what turned me on to his books. I think I've read them all except The Great Train Robbery, well I still have Prey and State of Fear waiting on my bookshelf to read. I will treasure reading those now.

From Decker with Love

Quote Originally Posted by jazzcat View Post
    I really like that one too. I saw the movie - stinker! I never thought they did his books justice in movies except for Jurassic Park. I saw that movie first and then read the book so that may be why. That movie was what turned me on to his books. I think I've read them all except The Great Train Robbery, well I still have Prey and State of Fear waiting on my bookshelf to read. I will treasure reading those now.
    State of Fear is good and I would love to see Prey done into a movie. You can never read the book before the movie. The movie always sucks. Any good book HAS to be a mini series- The Hollywood formula of making everything 90 minutes or less really bites.

I saw The Stand miniseries last weekend and -even tho the characters were not the people I would have like to see- it was passable and O.K.

The special effects today are pretty good and any sci fi/fantasy movie can be made into something a little better than what was produced before.

LOL, get a spare bulb for the reading light, just in case.