Thread: "Presents"?

"Presents"?

Early on in the day on Sunday, we noticed a large squealing sound coming from outside. I jumped up to investigate through the sliding glass back door. What did I see?

Our dear old Milo had caught a squirrel! It was flailing, he would let it go, it would run a few steps, he would catch it and play with it, repeat a couple of times before I gathered my wits. I wanted to help the little squirrel man. The squirrel then hid behind some boxes that were right next to my back door. In order to avoid having the little guy run inside my house (where there are more cats!), I went through my front door and around the side of the house.

Milo was showing some interest in the boxes and the squirrel was giving loud, low, screeches. Eventually, Milo lost interest and the squirrel was quiet. The boxes were wedged against a corner so he was pretty snug, plus, he could jump in the boxes as well. I tried to nudge the box with my toe a wee bit, he wouldn't run out. I tried to squirt some water, he wouldn't run out. Not wanting to provoke him any further, I decided to go back inside and watch the back door for a while. No real further interest from Milo and no peeps from the squirrel. Milo came in and out of the house throughout the day, as he does, and still no sight of the squirrel.

In the evening, we went out and nudged the box around and made some noise. No peeps. At this point, we believed the squirrel to be gone and victorious.

Fast forward to yesterday. I go to open the blinds on the back door. What do I see? Little tufts of fur everywhere, a furry little tail, and a back foot. I don't know if it was the same squirrel or really how he even managed to catch a squirrel. He just left the "leftovers" on the porch. DH is removing the little bits that are left. I feel bad for the little squirrel. Hubby says it is nature and the circle of things. I sincerely hope it is not the squirrel that I had "adopted". (There is/was a squirrel that has been the subject of several of my photography assignments. He was good about staying still for several photos, poses, and slower film speeds.)
    R.I.P. Little Squirrel

Has anyone else had "presents" like this before?

Luckily my kitties are indoor only. So I don't have to worry about those kinds of presents.
    But when Taz and I were living at my parents house (in the country) a poor mouse found its way into Taz territory and didn't make it. I almost stepped on it with my bare feet!!
    However, Zoee likes to chase the squirrels in the back yard (and the front). She's never caught one and I have no idea what she'd do with it if she ever did catch one.
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

RIP squirrel. Very likely IS the one you had "adopted," as it was learning that waiting in the presence of danger was "safe." So it wasn't working on getting away from Milo in quick time.

Been the recipient of presents? Oh yeah.

When I lived in the apartment, I was on the 3rd floor. Had a balcony, and put up a bird feeder. Sparkle would try to catch them once in a while; never expected that she WOULD! Then she proceeded to bring it INSIDE, where of course it got away from her!

I had 3 cats at this time: RB Amber, Sparkle and Vita.

I had gone home for lunch that day (I forgot something), and arrived in time to see her charge in through the cat door and lose her grip on the bird.

The next few moments must have looked like something from Keystone Cops. There goes the bird followed by 3 cats and then me. I'd grab the rear most cat, stick it in a room and slam the door, return to the chase. Only after I had all the cats removed from the scene could I focus on catching the bird.

It had been skittering along at floor level. I took it to a vet licensed to do wildlife, but Sparkle had broken its leg so they had to euthanize it.

Here at the house, I allow 4 of them out in the back yard with us, supervised: Sparkle, Vita, Chestnut and Crystal. They do catch the odd mouse, vole etc. Can still remember 2 years ago, Chestnut caught his FIRST EVER, he was 8 years of age! He was so PROUD of himself, he just strutted up and down the lawn, tail held high. Then he wanted to bring it in the house! Dad cornered him in the garage, where the mouse /vole got away from him. We hurried all the cats inside, left the garage door open, and assume it left in its own time.

THE ODD TIME I WILL FIND A MOUSE OR BIRD, A FRESH KILL BY ONE OF THE PORCH CATS OR ON THE PORCH OR EVEN UPSTAIRS A VICTIM OF THE KITTEN TRIO, PROBABLY SCRAPPY 2 WHO ONCE HHAD TO HUNT, OR TUBSTER PANTHER.
    I FEEL SORRY FOR THESE LITTLE ONES , AND AM GAD TO KNOW THAT THEY TOO HAVE A PLACE IN OUR ANIMAL ANGEL ARMY.
    POOR LITTLE SQUIRREL, AMY YOU HAVE SHORT TREES , JUST LADEN WITH NUTS.
    THE RAINBOW BRIDGE FOUND HOTEL ANGELS HAVE A NEW FRIEND IN CORINNA.

ALMOND ROCCA BATON AND ELLIE ANGELS ARE GUARDIANS TO ETERNAL KITTENS ROCC-EL AND T TEEN ANGEL, ALMOND ROCA , VLAD , PAWLEE , SPRITE. LITTLE HEX, OSIRIS AND ANNIE ANGELS.
    EBONY BEAU TUBSTER AND PEACHES BW SPIKE & SMOKEY

NOW PRECIOUS AND SAM ARE TOGETHER WITH ETERNAL KITTENS SAMMY ,PRESLEY, SYLVESTER AND SCRATCHY JR , MIGHTY MARINA, COSMIC CARMEN, SAMSON ,UNDER KITTY AND SUNKIST AUTUMN & PUMPKIN.
    MIA AND ORANGE BLOSSOM ANGELS HAVE ADOPTED TUXIE , TROOPER , SONGBIRD AND LITTLE BITTY KITTIES MIA-MI BLOSSOMER, TUXEDO AND DASH AS THIER ETERNAL KITTENS.
    PRINCESS JOSEPH AND MICHAEL ARE CELEBRATING 19 YEARS AS LUCKY FOUND CATS