Page 1 of 11 12345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Positive thoughts for Haggis:hyperthyroid+tongue lesion

Positive thoughts for Haggis:hyperthyroid+tongue lesion

I was doing research and came around your site. A nice place for moral support! *sigh*

We took our kitties (Haggis & Hamish, 10 years old, half brothers, indoor only grey/black white spotted) to the vet on Friday to get their teeth cleaned. We found out that they both have hyper-thyroidism. So, they have to be on meds for the rest of the lives. Haggis had a lesion removed under his tongue and we won't know till Wed. if it is benign or malignant-although the vet didn't think it looked good because it was spreading. It was operable and he is 99% sure he got it all with the warning that he doesn't know what is going on in a micro level-so Haggis has to be watched closely.

Anyway, stressful and sad. Thankfully, Hamish is finally over his "Haggis amnesia" and no longer hisses and growls at his brother.

Anyone have any experience with hyper-thyroidism? Tongue lesions?

I'm feeling a bit panicked. They are the best kitties.
    Thank you for listening.

Aww, no experience with it, but your boy will be in our prayers.

Welcome to Pet Talk! I've not had experience w/these things either but just wanted to lend you my support and assure you that prayers are going up right now for your furkids and that all will be well. Pix would be nice when you get the chance.
    Blessings,
    Mary

"Time and unforeseen occurrence befall us all." Ecclesiastes 9:11

Name:  HandH.jpg
Views: 409
Size:  67.4 KB

Here is photo...I think it's attached. I'm not very good with these message board things. I don't have a photobucket account or anything.

Thank you for all the positive thoughts. I grew up with kitties all who lived to be 17 and 18 years old. I am hopeful this will turn out okay.

(Oh! Haggis is in the foreground, grey & white and Hamish is in the back, black & white. They love to lay on the stairs when it's a sunny day!)

Aw, what pretty kitty kats. I have one, Boo, who is 17 and another Pigeon, who is 18 1/2, so I'm w/ya on that one. I'm used to cats living a long time, too. My Puddy went to the Bridge last month at age 14 and my Peeka before her at the same age, both from renal failure but I'm hopeful that the rest of my Fur Posse of 6 will live a looooong time. Hopefully, we'll hear more about your two that everything is just fine. And don't feel bad about posting photos, etc. I'm w/ya on that one, too. LOL
    Blessings,
    Mary

Last night and this morning so far Haggis doesn't act like his jolly self. He has 6 stitches under his tongue, maybe they are bothering him, I don't know. He seemed to be doing better the day after his surgery than now. He gags a little and is staying away from his food. I fed him some food from a spoon and then he walked away...oh kitties! He has me worried.

Poor guy, I am sure the stitches are bothering him. I think hand-feeding him - and making sure he gets fluids - is all you can do right now. Poor guy! Oh, and which kitty is which in the photo? Their markings are remarkably similar!

Yes, it does sound like perhaps his stitches are bothering him. If you can continue to hand feed him, I'm sure he'll improve w/time. Keep your vet informed, though, just in case there may be something else going on. Prayers still continuing......
    Blessings,
    Mary

Welcome to Pet Talk & enjoy all the talks & pics..

Your babies are so Adorable.. I would bet its the stitches that is bothering him.. Hope your babies Get Well Soon.. No I have never heard of what they have.. Sending Lots of Prayers

~~~Thank You Very Much {Kim} kimlovescats for the Grand Siggy~~~

[[ Furr Babies are Like Potato Chips **** No One Can Have Just One ]]
    ****** Kindness, Mercy & Justice to All Living Creatures ******
    {{{{{Everyday is a Gift = That's why it's Called the Present }}}}}
    ((( Each Day With Our Pets is a Surprise Package Waiting to be Opened )))
    <Sunsets are God's Reminder to Us That At The End of the Day We're All In This Together>

Haggis is the kitty on the front step, he is gray and white. Hamish is in the back and he is black and white. They are half brothers but I don't know if it's the same mom or the same dad. I got them at a no kill cat rescue shelter 10 years ago.

Poor Haggis always seems to have the bad luck. When he was a kitten he had a bump removed from his paw that the vet couldn't determine what it was. It wasn't benign and it wasn't entirely malignant- it had all kinds of different bad cells in it and hadn't decided what it was yet. About 3 years ago he had bladder crystals and had to have emergency surgery. So, now, poor kitty has stitches in his mouth!

Thank you all for your good thoughts!

Sorry no experience with this. but Welcome to pet talk and the CREW's prayers are with your babies and you.
    GILL & Crew;

Welcome!! I have a 17 yr old with hyperthyroidism, byt never had a cat with a mouth lesion. Sending prayers for your boy....
    Nine is Fine!!

:(((

We got the worst possible news. Haggis has squalimous cell carcinoma. The vet said we have the option to treat it aggressively and go to an oncologist. I just don't know what to do.

Do go and talk to the oncologist. They have made huge advancements in treating cancer in pets. Ask for a second opinion if you are not sure of the answer from the first vet, okay?

I'm really sorry to hear this but, as Karen said, they've made huge strides in treating cancer in pets. Your PT friends will be here to encourage you and you and Haggis will be in our prayers. We pray w/out ceasing here in Ohio. Keep the faythe.
    Blessings,
    Mary