Thread: torn third eyelid

torn third eyelid

My aussie has a torn third eyelid. Has anyone else ever experienced this type of condition in their dog?

We are told our only option is leave it (which means leaving a glob of membrane in her eye) or surgery to either (try to) re-attach or trim the edges.

Any advice on what has happened/what you did with your dog if you have experienced this would be greatly appreciated...?
    "An animal's eyes have the power to speak a great language." ~ Martin Buber

NO, I have never hear of a third eyelid. Is you Aussie in pain? Are you going to have the surgery?

Hope everything works out for your pup. Hugs!

Cincy had issues with her third eyelid when she was just a pup. When she was 2 1/2 mos old the thrid eyelid of her left eye prolapsed (Cherry eye). The vet was able to surgically reattach it with no further issues. When she was 3 1/2 mos. Cincy developed warts in her mouth partially from a weakened immune system from having undergone anestesia at such a young age. At that time her right eyelid prolapsed and it too had warts on it, so it couldn't not be reattached and was removed. So far so good (she will be 1 yr in two weeks) We will have to watch her for the rest of her life to be sure she doesn't not develop dry eye, because the tear gland was removed, but so far she has done fine.

Good luck whatever you decide

Re: torn third eyelid

poor thing, If she is in any discomfort I would
    opt for the surgery.
    What does your vet advise.

----<---<--<{(@

thanks for the info. Right now she is receiving BNP drops as there was a bit of infection in the corner where it tore. She has a piece of her eyelid floating in her eye now so I think the best thing to do would be to have surgery to trim it. The vet advised us that there is not much success in reattachment but said we could have it trimmed.

She doesn't seem to be in any pain from this...but her hair surrounding her eye is always wet so I think maybe her tear gland is overacting now...?? But because of the floating piece I think she could accidently tear it even more so at this point the best thing is to at least get it trimmed. After another week on the drops we will likely schedule the surgery.
    "An animal's eyes have the power to speak a great language." ~ Martin Buber

Working as a vet tech. I have found that surgery &/or triming has a slightly higher recovery results. Although some have good results with just treating it like you are doing. Good for you for opting for surgery! I hope everything tuns out ok. Keep us posted.
    Soar high & free my sweet fur angels. I love you Nanook & Raustyk... forever & ever.

I've never heard of a dog's third eyelid tearing before. I hope your dog isn't in too much pain!!!

Wow, I have never heard of anything like that.

Poor pup!! I'll be praying that the surgery, if needed, is a complete success What a great Mom you are!! Hugs to your baby!

Star,Tigg'r , Mollie and the10 Gallon Gang!

And my Rainbow Bridge Furangels...Jingles, Cody, Fritz, Chessa, Satin, Buddy, Lizzie, Oliver, Squeaker, Moonbeam, Rosie, Ruby~