Thread: Pepto Bismol or Kaopectate??

Pepto Bismol or Kaopectate??

Do you give your dog Pepto or Kaopectate when they are vomiting or have diarrhea?

My parent's are out of town and Buddy Jr. has had diarrhea in his crate 2 days in a row!! (My uncle lives next door to them and is keeping an eye on him) So I'm going over today with rice and ground beef and I called Jr's vet to see how much he weights and ask how much I should give him and she said not to give it to him and just do the bland diet.

I know it contains a little bit of asprin, but the ones I use for my Buddy all the time are coated and have not upset his tummy.

I just wanted to know if anyone here uses Pepto.
    Thx!
    ~Angie, Sierra & Buddy
    **Don't breed or buy while shelter dogs die!**

I suffer from multiple Shepherd syndrome

I've given Zoee pepto before, but it was a mess!!! One time Zoee had diarrhea for 5 days and we gave her rice and cottage cheese. I'd probably just stick to the bland diet. I only have minimal experience with the poopy puppy problems. Sorry.
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

I've given Jasper Pepto before. The dose is one half to one mL per pound, and a teaspoon is 15mL. I dunno how much Jr weighs, but hopefully that helps.

Thank you Wolf_Q!

I´ve heard kaopectate is bette than pepto.. can´t confirm that though...

but stop feeding for a day, just fluids and then give him rice and chicken is small amounts...

other I heard is pupmkin
    Corinna´s Christmas Card Swap ´06
    dedicated to a lovely woman who won many hearts along her life...........
    she will be deeply missed.......Thank you for letting us be a part of your life, you will surely remain in ours FOREVER........R.I.P. Dear Corinna

Best Fireman in da House´10
    dedicated to the kindest,loveliest and always helpful dude that one would be honored and proud to know........R.I.P. Dear Phred

notes-to-my-husband blog

http://365project.org/isabelle/365

I believe the Vet just recommends a bland diet or no food for a day with
    plenty of water to replace fluids. I think my Vet also suggested a common
    human med, but I can't remember what it was. Poor baby, I hope he is
    doing better soon.
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

LizBud--did your vet mention Imodium? Our vet sometimes prescribes it .

I give the dogs in my boarding kennel Pepto Bismo tablets. No mess, and it works well. My vet recommended it.
    "We give dogs the time we can spare, the space we can spare and the love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made" - M. Facklam

"We are raised to honor all the wrong explorers and discoverers - thieves planting flags, murderers carrying crosses. Let us at last praise the colonizers of dreams."- P.S. Beagle

"All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost. From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king." - J.R.R. Tolkien

Pepto is kayshas friend : )
    When she gets an upset tummy she gets a small dosage and it calms her right down(keep in mind she weighs about 6 pounds! hence the small dosage haha), I don't change her food from what she gets because she has such a sensitive appetite anyways. Before horse shows she gets herself worked up pretty bad. She must be thinking she is going to be left and she gets her dose before we leave and keeps her settled for the weekend. If she doesn't get it she cries the whole way down and moans and I can hear her poor tummy skweeling! If the big dogs get into something or catch something they also get pepto and everything usually settles in about 12 hours.
    Hope the tummy calms down soon!!!

My one and only experience is with Pepto.
    RB Cody had a bad tummy and the vet recommended pepto, but never mentioned PILLS and not the liquid, and of course, being insanely upset, I didn't give it any thought.

3/4 of the bottle was on me, the floor, my mom, Cody's face and body.

Just remember PILLS!!!!!! Unless you want to wear pink for awhile!

I've been Boooo'd!

Hehe, yep, I too have had a pink dog (RB Peaches) and floor when a vet recommended Pepto. I haven't ever heard of a doctor recommending Kaopectate, but I think Pepto was a fairly common suggestion, so at least you know that it is safe for dogs. Also, haven't I read other PTers mention plain canned pumpkin for diarrhea? I hope Buddy Jr. is feeling better today.

I've heard repeatedly that Kao's been reformulated to be like Pepto, so you might want to watch your formulations, whichever you try.

Thank you all for your comments... and the laughs about pink dogs!
    I've never tried the liquid... I've alway given my Buddy the caplets!

Well... the mystery has been solved, we now know why he had diarrhea.

My grandma, who lives next door and has the begining stages of alzheimer's, picked up dog food accidently last week instead of cat food and she's been feeding him that!!!
    So it's just the different dog food that's upset his tummy!!!
    WHEW!!!
    Glad it wasn't worms or anything else like that.
    I spent the night there last night with him and made a bunch of rice and chicken for my uncle to feed him till my parent's get home tomorrow night.
    Thank you all again for the comments!
    ~Angie, Sierra & Buddy
    **Don't breed or buy while shelter dogs die!**

I suffer from multiple Shepherd syndrome

Whew! Glad you know what the culprit is and is well. And no pink dog. (except you're way smarter than me and use caplets anyway!)

I've been Boooo'd!

Quote Originally Posted by pitc9 View Post
    Thank you all for your comments... and the laughs about pink dogs!
    I've never tried the liquid... I've alway given my Buddy the caplets!

Well... the mystery has been solved, we now know why he had diarrhea.

My grandma, who lives next door and has the begining stages of alzheimer's, picked up dog food accidently last week instead of cat food and she's been feeding him that!!!
    So it's just the different dog food that's upset his tummy!!!
    WHEW!!!
    Glad it wasn't worms or anything else like that.
    I spent the night there last night with him and made a bunch of rice and chicken for my uncle to feed him till my parent's get home tomorrow night.
    Thank you all again for the comments!

Glad you solved the mystery as to the why.

How is Buddy Jr. doing today?

Just keep an eye on him the next couple days to make sure he's not vomiting, or the diarrhea continues or he stops eating altogether. Sudden changes in food can sometimes cause pancreatitis in some dogs and those would be signs to watch for.

I hope this all resolves itself and things go back to normal soon.

RIP Dusty July 2 2007 RIP Sabrina June 16 2011 RIP Jack July 2 2013 RIP Bear July 5 2016 RIP Pooky June 23 2018. RIP Josh July 6 2019 RIP Cami January 6 2022