Thread: Fisters Journey - “Heaven on the first floor”

Fisters Journey - “Heaven on the first floor”

My first primitive attempt to get Fister to live with us entailed a few shrimps and a little wickerwork cage and ended in ignoble defeat. How naive can one be! We carefully placed the cage beside the back yard door, Randi placed some shrimps in it, and we waited with bated breath. Sure enough, his curiosity eventually got the better of him, and soon he was halfway into the cage. That was when I made my first big mistake. As I tried to push him in the last little bit, he of course immediately turned and was halfway out in a flash. That was when I made my second big mistake!
    Having had wild cats before, I thought I could subdue him by grabbing him by the nape of the neck and holding him down, so I grabbed him by the back leg. But he just did something very serious very quickly, and raced off across the yard and onto the shed roof in a second flat. I could feel nothing, but knew something had happened. I looked over at Randi and said “I think he got me” and then looked down at my hands. What a sight!
    The next morning, still feeling a bit woozy from the injections and my unpleasant visit to hospital, Randi easily persuaded me that this was not the most intelligent way to tame a cat, and that we would have to use lots of patience and all our cunning.
    So we started out enthusiastically on our little project, not realising quite how long (or how much patience!) it was going to take. Living on the first floor (second floor in America!) was a bit of a problem, so we used to wedge the back yard door half open, and began to try and persuade him up the stairway.

What on earth could there be behind
    that door?

He was, as all cats, extremely curious about the doorway, but also extremely nervous and suspicious. Randi would go down and call him, then lay a few shrimps on the bottom stairs. After much hesitation, he would creep up, hungrily consume the shrimps and race back down again. A few days later, same procedure, but moved just a couple of steps further up. This went on for several weeks, until one day, having got used to reaching our kitchen door so often, he actually dared to cross the threshold! We watched spellbound as he crept very cautiously across the kitchen floor to the plate of goodies, greedily munched away, and then fled instantly back down to his yard. I think that this was when he adopted what I call the bulldozer method of eating, just sticking his nose all the way in and scooping up anything that gets in the way. He got used to the kitchen and did this more and more, but great care was needed. We had to stand like two pillars of salt, immobile and silent, since the least little sound or movement would send him straight back down the stairs again at warp speed.

Lets get this lot onboard while I can! (Recent photo)

This went on for weeks, he would creep in, wolf down what he could as quickly as possible, and retire immediately. But there was another door! As he ate, his head would rotate back and forth like a radar antenna, constantly on the watch, like an antelope at a watering hole, afraid of any unusual sound or movement, but he would often sit for a moment, just staring at that door and speculating. What could there be out there?
    Finally the day came, and he plucked up courage and wandered out through that next door (the third one in his life!) and into the corridor. And what does he see? More doors! There was one that opened into the bathroom, one that opened into my office and from there another opening into our living room. He ignored the office, but after a couple of timid forays into the living room, he discovered - THE CARPET! This was absolute magic. Thick and soft and warm, and spread out as far as the eye could see. What heaven. What unspeakable luxury! He instantly fell in love with it, and began to roll and scratch and roll and scratch until he would suddenly realise that he was in foreign territory and flee again. As his mum probably taught him - you’ve got to be careful out there - and don’t forget to watch your back!

Sunbathing on his carpet

Unbeknown to us, it was probably already at this point that he made his decision to take over the place and become King of our Castle! From then on, it was just a matter of time, and he began to slowly but surely collect together a network of territories that would end up dominating our entire flat. But that’s another story!

John
    Last edited by Randi; 09-12-2002 at 01:14 PM.

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.

That is a great story I love hearing about Fister.
    I've been Defrosted!

Thanks for the great signature Kay!

That is so wonderful! What a suspenseful, yet very heartwarming story! I loved the accompanying photos, too.

I can just imagine Fister rolling and stretching out on the carpet happily, enjoying the feel of it (so different from dirt or concrete!).

Hooray for Fister for making the decision to be in the best, most loving home. Thanks for sharing such a great story!
    margaret

Saima and Miko

I loved reading Fister's story. I know how skittish stray cats can be. I recently made a breakthrough with a cream cat I have been feeding for a year. He's turning into the biggest pile of mush you've ever seen. Thanks for the wonderful story. John, I hope your hands healed ok.

I love hearing stories of how Fister took over the house and made it his domain.

I have a question though, and I think I know what you mean, but maybe others out there are confused. Here in the states, the first floor is considered the one on the ground, the one you first walk into. Then the second floor is the first one off the ground. I think in Europe it's different and the ground floor is the ground floor, and the first floor is the same as our second floor. So when you say you live on the first floor, you're actually one story up, right? I was wondering because you mentioned you were on the first floor, but I kept thinking of Fister and steps, and that view looking down into the back yard, so I just wanted to make sure I was thinking right.

That Fister sure has made himself comfy after being so hesitant at first. I'm so glad he decided that you two were ok and he could trust you - now maybe he takes a little advantage of that? And he's such a beautiful orange kitty. I love that picture of him sunbathing on his carpet. What a handsome guy.
    Tubby
    Spring 1986 - Dec. 11, 2004
    RIP Big Boy
    -----------
    Peanut
    Fall 1988 - Jan. 24, 2007
    RIP Snotty Girl
    -----------
    Robin
    Fall 1997 - Oct. 6, 2012
    RIP Sweet Monkeyhead Girl

What is most fabulous about John's writing is there are all these gems...different ones which reach out to different ones of us...

For me it is....

As he ate, his head would rotate back and forth like a radar antenna, constantly on the watch, like an antelope at a watering hole, afraid of any unusual sound or movement
    This describes perfectly the eating habits of Elizabeth and the other stray cat who graced our yard briefly this summer.

And look at him in the photo. Eating off his smiling tray and with his water in a lovely glass! Is that the good china as well?

Oh, Fister...what a long way you have come from shrimp on the stairs!

Hola, John! Well, here we have another of your great posts-stories! You truly have a gift to grasp the spirit of the moment!!

I love the part when you say you "had to stand like two pillars of salt" - it´s soo true! When Sirocco came home I had to act like that, he wasn´t very trusting, he has his own ways, and you have to respect that!! When they finally get to trust you, you know it was worth it! That makes me love them cats more!

Thank you for such stunning stories!

Nita

Fister is definitely one handsome guy! What a wonderful 'rags to riches' story of a street cat turned King of the Castle! I just love stories like these!

Former User Guest
    Great story! What cracks me up is that pic of him eating and having a water glass next to him LOL LOL LOL! That's so cute!

Hi! Randi here! Can you tell John is getting addicted to PT?
    Only a few months ago, he said; Are you going to sit there much longer? Are we going to eat soon? - I must admit, I burned a few things in the oven, because of sitting here, and one time I had to throw a pan out.
    Last edited by Randi; 09-12-2002 at 02:41 PM.

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.

Originally posted by Randi
    Hi! Randi here! Can you tell John is getting addicted to PT?
    Only a few months ago, he said; Are you going to sit there much longer? Are we going to eat soon? - I must admit, I burned a few things in the oven, because of sitting here, and one time I had to throw a pan out.
    Sounds like Terry.

Then I told him "November 2nd we're going to a cat show at Navy Pier." He said "Oh, oh, are they going to have little ones for sale?" Meaning he better not go if they had little ones for sale because we might end up with a new friend for Tubby & Peanut. He's really such a softy inside. I told him they wouldn't have little ones for sale, but they might have all kinds of goodies for the two we got. He said he better leave his checkbook at home. He spoils them so bad.
    Tubby
    Spring 1986 - Dec. 11, 2004
    RIP Big Boy
    -----------
    Peanut
    Fall 1988 - Jan. 24, 2007
    RIP Snotty Girl
    -----------
    Robin
    Fall 1997 - Oct. 6, 2012
    RIP Sweet Monkeyhead Girl

nice story

This is a very nice story. Yeah, sometimes you just have to stop "breathing" in order not to make any noise that may scare a cat. I once tried to make a new kitten (Smokey) to jump to the bed and play with me. But I was unsuccessful until one time, he decided to jump on the bed himself. What I did was lying still and holding my breath for as long as I could. Then, he wouldn't trust me enough to stay any longer.

I'm glad that there are really a lot of people who have "a thing" for cats. My friends just started to label me "cataholic"

What a great story. You sure are a talented writer John. I also loved the pics. Fister is a very handsome cat. I'm glad that he let you into his life.

yes, that was a great story! Fister is so cute
    Faith in God

John, you have to collect these stories you share on Pet Talk and publish a book with the pictures you have. It would be an amazing best seller.
    Tell us more, more