Thread: Over-grooming...I think one of my cats is...

Over-grooming...I think one of my cats is...

overgrooming. We have four cats, and lately I've noticed that one of them (one of my girls), seems to be over-grooming. The first time I noticed this was last summer when we came back from vacation. We were gone for two weeks, and while gone, a trusted friend who loves cats and has watched our gang before, took care of them for us. When we got home, I noticed that she (Baby) had a couple of small areas on her tummy that were almost bald. She hadn't chewed on her tummy, and I've never noticed her ever doing that (thank goodness). I watched her very closely after that, and didn't see her over-grooming or pulling her fur out. I suppose our being gone upset and stressed her, and once we were home, she relaxed and stopped doing it.

The last month however, I have noticed on a several occasions that she seems to be over-grooming...She bathes a lot, and takes forever to finish her baths. I don't see any evidence of skin irritation (like from an allergy), that might cause her to do this, all our cats are strictly indoor cats so fleas, etc., aren't a possible culprit, and she has always been healthy and seems so now. I've had cats all my life, but have never had a cat that has done this. Has anyone had experience with this? Any info would be helpful...

Judy
    "The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated."

Mahatma Gandhi

Any new changes in the household? This is often a stress response. I'd take her for a vet check to be sure, if it keep happening.
    I've Been Frosted

I have a foster who over-grooms to the point of creating bleeding sores. She developed the habit while at the shelter where for nearly 7 years she basically had half a window sill to herself from which she moved only to eat and use the litter box. Once she got used to my quiet, stable home with whole window sills (and armchairs, sofas etc.) for her sole use, she very gradually eased up on the over-grooming. It took about 6 months before the last sore healed over and was fur-covered. She was sent out for adoption and scooped up very quickly. However, she was adopted by someone who was not a natural cat person and by the time she came back to me, after about 7 weeks in her adoptive home, she had a dozen open sores again. Now, a month after coming back, there are only two and they are clear enough to be growing fur back on them.

So, in her case, it was purely stress related. Given her predilection for this behavior I have an awful feeling that I just acquired another life-time foster. I just can't imagine putting her through this again.

I've read only a little on the topic but it seems that some cats are put on mild sedatives and sometimes wear an e-collar so they can't reach the sores. I simply watched the sores carefully to make sure they stayed healthy and since they were always clean I let time heal them, and her.

We have a few that have the same thing, and it is food related!!! Tina and Hayley eat Royal Canin canned Duck. It seems to help!!! Good luck!!!