Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I made a little red penguin. *AND A MOUSE*

I hail from South Carolina, but Texas is where I hang my hat :)

I made a little red penguin. *AND A MOUSE*

Yeah, I just got kind of a wild hair this past weekend and really wanted to start creating stuff. I love making things, it always makes me feel good. But, I really have no idea how. Sooo....

I went to Hobby Lobby and bought a bunch of different colors of felt squares, and a yard and a half of pink, black and white felt. Bought some needles, thread, glue, etc...

I got really frustrated trying to figure out how to make stuff just looking at photos online, but I managed to make something that is recognizable. I made a little penguin. Of course, I didn't know that's what I was making at first, so he's RED, hahaha. But, he's still cute, and very obviously handmade!

Can anyone give me any suggestions on how to clean up the stitching on him? What kind of glue works best for felt? I got "no sew fabric glue", but I read the bottle later and it states "temporary hold for basting and stitching" so I don't guess that's what I really need. I really need glue to attach little feet and wings, beaks, etc.

The biggest thing, though, is how to hide and secure the ends of the thread. I did an all right job, but it's a little messy looking. I had to sew the feet, beak and wings, too, because the glue didn't work...and I was using black thread. So, he's a bit of a patchy little thing.

I want to make a bunch of little guys at some point, and start dressing them in recognizable clothes (like characters from books, tv and movies...famous people, musicians, etc). I know a lot of my famiy and friends would like them.

So, any help would be greatly appreciated. This is the first time I've ever tried anything like this...well, besides a little knitting I did a couple years back, and a few things in elementary and junior high.

He's about three inches tall, and stuffed with polyfil.
    Last edited by finn's mom; 10-22-2008 at 09:05 PM.
    The idea that some lives matter less is the root of all that is wrong with the world. - Dr. Paul Farmer

there is this glue called UHU... but not sure you get it there... that´s what me, mom, aunts, etc, use to make felt decor for christmas...

well... I´ve been trying for like two years but never seem to finish.. LOL...

it does hold pretty well... and lasts ages...holding things together
    Corinna´s Christmas Card Swap ´06
    dedicated to a lovely woman who won many hearts along her life...........
    she will be deeply missed.......Thank you for letting us be a part of your life, you will surely remain in ours FOREVER........R.I.P. Dear Corinna

Best Fireman in da House´10
    dedicated to the kindest,loveliest and always helpful dude that one would be honored and proud to know........R.I.P. Dear Phred

notes-to-my-husband blog

http://365project.org/isabelle/365

I think he's to be your keeper penguin!

Next time, you'll know to use thread that matches the felt color. Good old Elmer's Glue works fine on felt, by the way. For next time, tie your knot close to the end of the thread, and leave the knot on the inside, where it won't be seen.

you can also use the thread to make it look "rustic".. I think it looks pretty good too...

or you can saw it from teh inside out then turn it over and close....

looking forward to pics of the lil red pengun.. I love penguins!!!
    Corinna´s Christmas Card Swap ´06
    dedicated to a lovely woman who won many hearts along her life...........
    she will be deeply missed.......Thank you for letting us be a part of your life, you will surely remain in ours FOREVER........R.I.P. Dear Corinna

Best Fireman in da House´10
    dedicated to the kindest,loveliest and always helpful dude that one would be honored and proud to know........R.I.P. Dear Phred

notes-to-my-husband blog

http://365project.org/isabelle/365

I made a few little owls earlier this year out of felt and hand sewing. I didn't really have a plan either, I just drew what I wanted them to look like, then I drew out a little pattern for the main shape, cut it out, and traced it on the felt. I sewed them together by hand because I don't have a sewing machine.

I've always hated the way glue works (or doesn't) on felt.

I wanted the stitching to be visible for the face and stuff, so I just approximated the shapes I needed and then cut them out and sewed them on.

Niņo & Eliza

Quote Originally Posted by Karen View Post
    I think he's to be your keeper penguin!

Next time, you'll know to use thread that matches the felt color. Good old Elmer's Glue works fine on felt, by the way. For next time, tie your knot close to the end of the thread, and leave the knot on the inside, where it won't be seen.
    Well, I used different color thread on purpose. So I could really see what I was doing and if the stitching looked halfway decent. Which some of it does, and some of it...not so much. I definitely need to figure out a way to get the ends of the thread on the inside.

The idea that some lives matter less is the root of all that is wrong with the world. - Dr. Paul Farmer

Quote Originally Posted by Husky_mom View Post
    you can also use the thread to make it look "rustic".. I think it looks pretty good too...

or you can saw it from teh inside out then turn it over and close....

looking forward to pics of the lil red pengun.. I love penguins!!!
    I like the look of that, too. I may try to make some that look like that, and some that look a little cleaner...

I will see if I can get a photo of him tonight to share.

Quote Originally Posted by Suki Wingy View Post
    I made a few little owls earlier this year out of felt and hand sewing. I didn't really have a plan either, I just drew what I wanted them to look like, then I drew out a little pattern for the main shape, cut it out, and traced it on the felt. I sewed them together by hand because I don't have a sewing machine.

I've always hated the way glue works (or doesn't) on felt.

I wanted the stitching to be visible for the face and stuff, so I just approximated the shapes I needed and then cut them out and sewed them on.

OOOO...I like it! My friend loves owls, I'm going to try to make at least one for her...

Here's my first little project, he's actually much darker, the flash made him look brighter...the lemon juice is for size reference, haha

Awwww, that's cute! I think you have a talent for this ... without even using a pattern. Good job!
    "We give dogs the time we can spare, the space we can spare and the love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made" - M. Facklam

"We are raised to honor all the wrong explorers and discoverers - thieves planting flags, murderers carrying crosses. Let us at last praise the colonizers of dreams."- P.S. Beagle

"All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost. From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king." - J.R.R. Tolkien

That is too cute!!

That might make a really cute catnip toy!
    Cat toys don't have to me little mice, my sisters oldest cat Spliff ONLY plays with her catnip froggie

Of put a weight in the bottom (the inside) & that'll make a super cute paper weight

I love art!

Aw he's cute! I love the little embroidered eyes. Now I feel like making some stuff and getting creative again!

Niņo & Eliza

That's just adorable!

Thank you!!! You guys are seriously too kind. I love him, though, haha. He's my little patchy penguin.

I tried to make something last night...yikes! It was terrible, hahaha. I'll try again tonight, though.