Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Need help re: Dog Collars

Let's see for normal wear around the house Zoey and T.j have Lupine dog collars, and Sage has a green studded collar. I go for cute, but it can't be cheap because then it worries me about the quality.

For Zoey's therapy work she wears her collar but also her thearpy jacket.

For Sage's work at agility he wears no collar and walks with a fancy slip leash and for rally and obedience he wear a show chain, we never use it but it's looks really pretty with his coat.

For T.j when he goes hunting he wear a old buckle collar with a large cow bell on it.
    Thanks so much Ashley for the siggy!
    Zoey Marie NAJ NA RN (flat-coated retriever)
    Wynset's Sam I AM "Sage" RA (shetland sheepdog)
    T.j (english setter)

I have plain flat nylon collars because they can be thrown in the wash when they get dirty.The only time my dogs wear a collar is when out on walks because they need their I.D. . I never leave a collar on in the house or in the car. They wear the same flat collar to do any training also.

I don't use collars, as bichons are prone to collapsed tracheas. So I use harnesses. The girls wear red ones, the boys wear blue ones. From Pet Edge, the step in aka two step harness. I also find this type at Target. Mostly I just have the 4 harnesses, once in a while if Target had a sale I'll have a few extras. I have a bad habit of stepping on (and crushing) the plastic buckles.

That said, I have a huge assortment of collars! I haven't ever bought a collar, and yet some how, I have over a dozen! Fancy and plain, buckles and clips. (None are rolled, which are mainly for long coats. In a proper cut, a bichon has a long coat. Go figure!) I can't even tell you where most of these collars came from, they just seem to multiply in my closet!

I try to buy "cute collars" that are sturdy, especially with Eli. I do not want a collar that may break.

With eli it's fun to buy collars with nice designs because he's short haired so you can see the collar and a cute collar can make people less afraid of him (being a pit bull and all).

My other dogs are all long haired but i still try to buy them cute collars too

I try to but cute collars for the girls.... I love dog collars.
    Rits is wearing a rolled leather collar at the moment... and Sadie is wearing a cute nylon collar.

Kaitlyn (the human)
    Sadie & Rita (Forever in Our Hearts) (the Labbies)

I buy collar based on fur type so they don't rub the fur off or get tangled or anything like that.

I also buy cute collars and seasonal collars. Autumn has tons of collars and Naylee already has 4 and I've only had her 2 months. I buy the cheapy $1 collars from Target that come out every new season. They have haloween collars on right now.

As far as working or walking, my dogs have harnesses. I do not hook leashes up to their necks very often.
    "There are two things which cannot be attacked in front: ignorance and narrow-mindedness. They can only be shaken by the simple development of the contrary qualities. They will not bear discussion."

Lord John Emerich Edward Dalberg Acton

Quote Originally Posted by wolf_Q View Post
    I buy rolled leather collars for the huskies. I buy them for functional purposes. They are hardy, strong, and durable and they don't tangle the fur as much as some other collars. You can't see collars under all their fur anyway so I don't bother buying "cute" collars.
    Same here. Roxey and Huney have had the same collar for the last 6 years!
    Simba also has a rolled collar.

The only one that ever gets new a new collar is Bon.
    Since he's a big dog (170 plus lbs) I like to buy ones that are strong and sturdy and also cute He's gotten 2 this year.

Huney, Bon & Simba-missed so very much
    Remembering all the Rainbow Bridge Pets

Well, Rusty's collar is a leather one which he has had for a long time.

He use to wear the ones that you fasten, but they'd break easy since their plastic when he pulled.

But, if i had a little dog I'm sure i'd get the cute collars.

Nova and Konnor both have collars that I picked out because I liked the pattern and thought they would look good in it. They also have matching leashes. Sitka also has a collar (black with pink hearts ) that I also got because it was cute. Her leash is all black though. I have to say that I get some strange looks now that I've moved back to Haines. Dogs here mainly were plain collars and if they have leashes the "leash" is normally rope. My poor "city dogs" probably get laughed at by the "rugged dogs" for matching.

Ashley
    Dogs: Nova, Konnor and Sitka

Thank you everyone!

Your responses are invaluable and I really appreciate you taking the time to answer my questions

I look forward to letting you all know the reasons for me asking but it might still be a while away. In the meantime, I may need help on a few other things and will start a thread if necessary asking you more questions!

Lots of kisses and cuddles to your lovely pups as well for being so obliging with your collar choices for them

Enjoy the rest of your day!
    Watch out over the coming months for my brand new website: www.vetnurse.co.nz - currently being constructed (nothing there ATM!) - will update when I can

Heavenly Pet Care

Don't make someone else pick up your litter - have your cats/dogs/rabbits desexed!!!

Yay! I've been boo'd!

Actually ...

Can someone just clarify for me what a Martingale collar is? I have read that over and over again in your responses but don't think I'm familiar with it (at least with that name for it!).

Thanks again
    Watch out over the coming months for my brand new website: www.vetnurse.co.nz - currently being constructed (nothing there ATM!) - will update when I can

Heavenly Pet Care

Don't make someone else pick up your litter - have your cats/dogs/rabbits desexed!!!

Yay! I've been boo'd!

I am attaching a link to the sizing page because I think it gives you the best idea of how a martingale works, pourlechien.net. But basically, a martingale is made for two loops, the larger loop that slips over the dogs head and goes around her neck, and a smaller loop that attaches the ends of the larger loop togeher and tightens when pulled on by the leash (thus, closing the collar closer around the dog's neck). It works sort of the same way as a choke collar (by that I mean the way it tightens), but it doesn't pinch the dog, because the two ends are never pulled conpletely together. It was originally developed for sighthounds that have delicate necks and very slender heads, but have become popular for all breeds now because they are much less stressful to the dogs then choke collars or half-chokes (rather than all chain, it is a nylon collar with a chain on the end, which works similar to a choke). I hope that made sense.

Thanks Ginger's Mom!

I do know what you mean, I've seen those collar types before but didn't know that they even had a name, let alone what they were called!

Thanks again everyone, your answers have been really helpful

Heavenly Pet Care

Yay! I've been boo'd!