Thread: What is he howling for?? Please help...

What is he howling for?? Please help...

Hi,

In May this year I adopted a cat from a cats home called Bobby. He is a very affectionate cat who generally loves attention.
    When we first got him he only squeaked then he developed a meow. But now he just howls. The strange thing is he doesnt sit and howl he sort of slowly walks around and acts as if he is searching for something.This can go on for hours on end, I know he isnt asking for food as he has a different way of asking for it. He also doesnt really want attention while he is doing this, we call to him and try to make a fuss of him but he ignores us. Is this normal for cats to do this?? Dad thinks he might have had a compainion in his old home and he might be lonely but i am not sure! Is this possible. Our previous cats never did this!
    Please help
    Thanks

Thanks for the great sig ellie!
    Sophie xoxoxo

My cat Pigeon and I were separated for a while, she lived w/a friend, and when she came home, she paced the house and yowled like that for a while, a couple of days at best. Once she got used to being back at home, the yowling stopped. I would think, though, that if your cat was missing a companion, he would've yowled right from the start. You say that you call to him when he yowls but do you actually go to him, pick him up and check him over? When was the last time he was checked out at your vet's? I think maybe I'd feel better if I were you by taking him to my vet and having him thoroughly checked out. I will say, however, that my Siamese Coco Puff can be very vocal and he walks through the house sometimes vocalizing but certainly not for hours at a time. I also have a deaf cat, Creamsicle, who does that on occasion when she's looking for me and she's exceptionally loud because she can't hear herself. One last thought: are you sure that your kitty is male? Females will do that when they're in heat. I wish you well and hope to read that your kitty checked out just fine and that he just likes to hear his own voice. Prayers going up for your kitty and you.
    Blessings,
    Mary

"Time and unforeseen occurrence befall us all." Ecclesiastes 9:11

Thanks,

We had him checked over at the vets a couple of weeks ago and he is sound. The howling stared about three weeks after having him. He was next door to a cat at the cats home and when he came here there would have been cat smells everywhere from our old cat so could it be a companion problem?

Sorry i seem like a complete novice on cats but i am only 14 so i dont really know whats wrong with him!

Sophie xoxoxo

One of mine does the same thing. He sounds like he's lost his best friend. His best buddy left almost three years ago, so I don't think that's the cause. He will wander through the house crying every night. I've never figured it out. He certainly can't be lonely with 11 other cats in the house!

It may not be another cat or dog he is missing; it could be his previous care takers he is missing..

~~~Thank You Very Much {Kim} kimlovescats for the Grand Siggy~~~

[[ Furr Babies are Like Potato Chips **** No One Can Have Just One ]]
    ****** Kindness, Mercy & Justice to All Living Creatures ******
    {{{{{Everyday is a Gift = That's why it's Called the Present }}}}}
    ((( Each Day With Our Pets is a Surprise Package Waiting to be Opened )))
    <Sunsets are God's Reminder to Us That At The End of the Day We're All In This Together>

Is the kitty spayed/neutered?
    Cathy loves Cocoa Kitty.
    http://cocoakitty.net

can he hear???
    Nine is Fine!!

Quote Originally Posted by KitCat View Post
    Is the kitty neutered?
    I was going to ask that myself, but you beat me to it.

RIP Dusty July 2 2007 RIP Sabrina June 16 2011 RIP Jack July 2 2013 RIP Bear July 5 2016 RIP Pooky June 23 2018. RIP Josh July 6 2019 RIP Cami January 6 2022

Yeah hes neutered. I am hoping its not his previous owners hes missing. Bobby was found when he was very young. probably only a couple of months old. He was found in the road stray with a paw injury. He hates any1 touching the paw. He was in the cats home for months and months. I was just thinking it might be a companion problem as he had loads of cats around him. oh and 1 more thing. He has got really friendly with another stray male cat that hangs around our house. Could it be him he is calling for? The other male calls for bobby sometimes. We would take this male in but he is scared of humans.

Yes bobby can hear!
    Thanks for all your help. His howling really is quite strange.

keep posting...

Sophie xoxoxo

I have this problem with my 8 year old cat Sunny but it's because he wants one of the other cats to play with him. He's been howling in the early morning hours or late at night. He'll get a toy and sit in the hall way and start howling and howling hoping that one of his siblings will come play with him. It's been driving me nuts. They ignore him and I have to go out and throw his toy mouse and tell him to be quiet.

It does sound like your cat wants a cat companion. Maybe you should try adopting another cat and hopefully his howling problem will stop. Good luck.

We adopted a cat a year ago named Paddy and he seems to be very happy here but he too yowls on the deck multiple times a day. He doesn't seem upset when he's doing it and I think he's calling for other cats. A few times our only outdoor cat has come to the screen door of the deck when he does this and otherwise they are never together because she doesn't like him. But I think he's calling her when he does it.
    My guess is that Bobby is calling the other male as you said and might be looking for a friend. That would be so cool if you could slowly befriend this other cat and maybe adopt him too. Are you able to offer him some food? He might be less scared if he knows that he can get food from you.

Thanks everyone

I am almost sure it is a companion problem now. He is just like in with this other cat I am going to try and tame him a little (the stray cat) If anyone has any advice on taming a stray cat i would very much appreciate it. The stray is in such a bad way... he has a limp and part of his tail is wonky so i would really like to tame him enough to get him to go to the vets.

Thanks for all your help.

Sophie xoxoxo

MY method for taming a stray cat:

Make a note of the time of day the stray shows up. Put food out in time for his arrival.

Sit near the food, but not so far that the cat is afraid to eat. Start far away (10 feet) and sit absolutely still while the cat eats. Don't move even if a bug bites.

If the cat eats, sit closer by a foot each day. If he acts afraid or won't eat, back up.

If the cat comes up to you or you are within reach, very, very slowly extend your hand.

Judge the cat by his reactions to you. Some cats will let you pet them in a day or two. Others will take a lot longer.

One of my porch cats has been coming to dinner since January third of this year. Last week he let me pet him and now comes for attention every morning and evening. He still won't come inside with the rest of the cats to eat. (I prop my front door open and feed 5 strays in my living room every night. They feel safe if the door is open. A couple have explored the rest of the house). Of course I haven't been working on it steadily.

A humane trap will work, too. But I would recommend that you keep him in a large cage inside for a while if you decide to go that route. He will get used to your sounds and smells.

Good luck. It sounds like this little guy needs some help. Let us know how you do.

My male cat Neko (who is neutered) will holler if he smells another cat who has sprayed. We visited my mother once, and he found a place where my sister's cat had sprayed in her house (she didn't know it). He caterwauled the rest of the time we were at her house and for a couple of days after we got home.

Shortly after we moved last year, Neko got out of the apartment and into a common hallway area where a neighbor's cat, who allowed to wander outside during the day, had sprayed. We scooped Neko up and brought him back in, but he hollered again for a couple of days after that. He would also get out of sorts whenever that cat felt the need to mark the hallway (thanks neighbor!) and holler for a couple of days.

Chances are, even if your cat is neutered, his friend outside is not. That may be why he's howling -- it's his natural reaction to cat smells called pheromones. Mruffruff gives good advice for how to get a feral cat to warm up to you. Most of all, be patient. And when you earn his trust, get him vetted. You don't want him getting your cat sick with something.

It's good that your parents are willing to invest in this health and take in another cat as well. Good luck and keep us posted.
    my massage blog: Fingertips