Page 1 of 44 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Barney is an Angel Now.

Barney is an Angel Now.

This little cat just breaks my heart.
    I posted a thread a few days back regarding Revolution dosage because I was trying to help this woman who was caring for a stray cat. Well, I gave her the Revolution to treat the cat and today she asked if I could come over to see the cat and to look at it's ears. She said they were all bloody and she wasn't sure if she could take the cat to the vet due to finances.

So I stopped by after work tonight and I was so shocked by the condition of this poor little cat. It turns out the cat is a male and he is so tiny and thin. My coworker rents the cottage that this cat has been hanging around and she has named him Scrawny. She had to go across the country to Ontario last week for family reasons and a death in the family so her good friend has come all the way from Ontario to house sit for her and has kind of taken over the feeding of this little guy. My coworker won't be back until November 15th and Angela has to leave at somepoint in the near future but she is trying to get this guy on his feet before she leaves.

I think my co-worker thought he might be young because of his size but as soon as I saw his eyes I knew he was a senior. I checked his teeth too and they were the teeth of an old cat. I'm guessing he might be around 13 or 14?

This poor cat has been hanging around this property for a year. The house she rents is actually a little cottage on an acreage that is owned by another family. The family have never been able to touch him and it's only now that he has reached out for help and allowed people to comfort him. He is so sweet and was purring the whole time we handled him tonight. I think he must have been someone's cat at some point in his life because he does not act feral.
    Here is a few second video of him when I first arrived.

I gasped when I saw him because I wasn't expecting him to be in such bad shape. He is skin and bones and he is filthy. His ears are a mess and he is deaf. Angela held him while I trimmed the scabs back. One was half an inch thick!! We put hydrogen peroxide on the scabs on the exterior of his ears and they foamed up like you wouldn't believe.

The rest are just pictures:

We filled a sink with warm water and some hypoallergenic soap for pets. We didn't want to freak him out so we used a cloth and gently washed him with that. We tried to wash his feet but he got angry when we tried so that will have to wait until later. Once he was washed we used a hair dryer on warm with a diffuser to dry his fur. He couldn't hear the dryer so thankfully it didn't scare him. He even ate a plate of food while we dried him. So sweet.

I'm going to get some antibacterial soap from a friend of mine who used to work at a vet clinic and has a large supply. We'll use that to continue cleaning his scabby ears. I'll bring some nail trimmers over as well to trim his long nails. He needs to go to a vet but I can only pitch in a bit and Angela doesn't seem to have much money either nor does my coworker. My plan is to try and find a way to get this guy on his feet so he's healthy enough and handsome enough that when my coworker gets back she won't be able to resist him and she will give him a home. She already wants to but her partner is not too keen on the idea.

My hope is to get him examined. He is such an older guy that I wonder if putting him through surgery for neutering would even be worth it. He has a set but I don't think he's interested in using them. He's just trying to survive right now. It sure made me realize how fortunate my own cats are to have a warm home. I can't believe Scrawny has been out there on his own like this. I'm so thankful though that my coworker and Angela want to help him. I will do everything I can too. I'll post an update as things progress.
    Last edited by Emeraldgreen; 01-09-2009 at 10:41 PM.

Oh my god. That poor old guy! I was sitting here, reading your post, looking at his pics, and was just gasping out loud. I cannot believe how skinny and sickly he looks. That poor, poor thing!!

You are wonderful for what you are doing to help him. I hope that he can get to a vet and get a checkup and some treatment.

Gentle pets to Scrawny, and hope that he will get to feeling much better.

Poor guy! I'd consider neutering when he's stronger, mainly because that would be an ideal time to give his ears a GOOD cleaning and medicating, and to see what's going on in them. I can't imagine he'd let somebody do too much with them awake.

He may be deaf because his ears are in such bad shape w/mites or whatever. If the vet can get his ears cleaned up, he may be able to hear again. It's so dangerous to have him stay outdoors if he can't hear because he may not know when danger is upon him. This is just heartbreaking, just heartbreaking. Poor sweet little guy. Thank you, Lara, for having such a kind heart. I'm fairly selective as to where I contribute but this guy makes my heart ache. If you take him to the vet, I'll be happy to contribute towards the bill. I'd be curious to know how old he is and if the vet feels he should be neutered yet. You can PM me w/details. His face is just haunting me. He looks so much like my RB Peeka and by the time I rescued her, she was bone thin like that, too, and kids had tried to skin her alive; all the fur was missing from her tail. She survived and lived for 14 years so there's hope for Scrawny. (I believe that pets live up to their names, so I wish he had a different one. Rocky, maybe, because he's managed to survive this long. I'm just sayin'...)
    Blessings,
    Mary

"Time and unforeseen occurrence befall us all." Ecclesiastes 9:11

Oh Lara, it's heartbreaking to see the condition poor Scrawny is in, and yes, I'm sure he's an elderly cat. What luck for him that you came round to help care for him. I really hope you can get him to a vet soon. I'll be glad to give a contribution towards the bill. PM me!

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.

Thank you Jenn, Mary, Randi and Critters so much for your posts and support!! I'm heading over there again after work. I do think he should get to a vet too. My only concern is that Angela indicated that if his blood work does show kidney failure then it would probably be best to put him down. I told her that my cat Jade went on to live for 4 good years after her diagnosis with fluids and care. The thing is that she will be leaving my coworkers house soon and I don't want her to put him down before she leaves. My hope is to get him feeling and looking better so my coworker won't be able to resist him when she gets home and then when he gets bloodwork, she will still want to keep him despite the results.
    I know this sounds like a stupid plan and maybe it is. What do you guys think?
    It's kind of a weird situation because this cat isn't mine to make the calls and I'm not able to take him in myself (hubby would absolutely kill me) but I want to try and do everything I can to help him stick around and have a good life.

I absolutely appreciate the wonderful offers for some donations and Jenn is sending some Revolution in the mail for his next treatment, which is so great.
    I would want him to go to my vet as they are such good people and so good at what they do. I could call them and see if people could call them to make a donation on his behalf? I don't have a paypal account. I did set one up a long time ago and I just used it to send a donation to someone but it's not set up to receive anything. I'm kind of nervous about connecting it to my bank account. That's probably stupid too.

I guess the main goal right now is to get him examined and get a geriatric panel done on him and maybe dewormed. I know my vet charges around 60.00 (Canadian) for an exam. I'm guessing that bloodwork would be about 120.00 but I need to call and find out for sure. One drontal tab is probably about 15.00 but I'll find that out too.

Medusa wrote:
    He may be deaf because his ears are in such bad shape w/mites or whatever. If the vet can get his ears cleaned up, he may be able to hear again. It's so dangerous to have him stay outdoors if he can't hear because he may not know when danger is upon him.
    That would be so great if he could hear again. We figured that the loss of hearing was probably from all the mites/infection and debris but I didn't even think to hope that he could get some hearing back. That would be so awesome. I'll start praying about that ASAP!
    Thank you for your offer to help. I know it is so hard to choose sometimes who to help as there are so many in need and times are as hard as they get right now. This guy sure is in rough shape though and I appreciate so much that he has touched your heart.
    Thank you Randi as well!!

Critters wrote:
    Poor guy! I'd consider neutering when he's stronger, mainly because that would be an ideal time to give his ears a GOOD cleaning and medicating, and to see what's going on in them. I can't imagine he'd let somebody do too much with them awake.
    You wouldn't believe how tolerant this guy is with regard to his ears. He does pull back when he's had enough but I spent a good 5 minutes straight trimming away at this scab that had scabs built on top of that etc.. We didn't attempt to clean inside his ears though yet and that might be a different story.

I received some advice via PM regarding Ivermectin and using that to clean his ears but now I'm wondering if we shouldn't mess with them too much and let a vet have a good look and steer us in the right direction. It might be something that requires Surolan or something like that. We're just guessing it's mites but that could be wrong.

Lara, I just sent you a PM, but forgot to say...

Any chance you could call your vet and ask what might be the right thing to use for his ear - something that won't be harmful, whatever the problem is. Scrawny must feel awful with that ear.

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.

Quote Originally Posted by Randi View Post
    Lara, I just sent you a PM, but forgot to say...

Any chance you could call your vet and ask what might be the right thing to use for his ear - something that won't be harmful, whatever the problem is. Scrawny must feel awful with that ear.
    Hi Randi, got your PM, thank you.
    I just called my vet and explained the situation. They said they are not taking any new clients so the only way to get Scrawny in is to put him under my file, which I did. I asked them if they would be willing to accept any donations over the phone from my friends () and they said that would be fine. I spoke with a receptionist named Anna and she said she would post a note at the front desk so everyone would know what it was about if someone called.
    I have the vet info and will PM it to those interested. Thanks again.
    We'll try and get him in to the vet soon.

p.s. I agree that Scrawny should have a new name. He is currently under that name at the vet because I couldn't come up with one but we should change it. Any suggestions?

That kitty just breaks my heart. If you get vet info about making donations, please let me know. I may not be able to contribute very much, but I know every small donation helps alot. Thank you so much for helping him.

I'm in red.
    Quote Originally Posted by Emeraldgreen View Post
    I don't have a paypal account. I did set one up a long time ago and I just used it to send a donation to someone but it's not set up to receive anything. I'm kind of nervous about connecting it to my bank account. That's probably stupid too. You don't have to do anything special to get $$ via PayPal, and to get your $$ out you can ask them to send you a check. Slow, but effective.

I guess the main goal right now is to get him examined and get a geriatric panel done on him and maybe dewormed. I know my vet charges around 60.00 (Canadian) for an exam. I'm guessing that bloodwork would be about 120.00 but I need to call and find out for sure. One drontal tab is probably about 15.00 but I'll find that out too. You can get 3 Droncit for $10 at KV; they add a little, $5, I think, if you don't make their minimum purchase.
    Critters wrote:

You wouldn't believe how tolerant this guy is with regard to his ears. He does pull back when he's had enough but I spent a good 5 minutes straight trimming away at this scab that had scabs built on top of that etc.. We didn't attempt to clean inside his ears though yet and that might be a different story. I'd be concerned about using anything in them until he's on antibiotics and all because of the likelihood of making him dig more.

I received some advice via PM regarding Ivermectin and using that to clean his ears but now I'm wondering if we shouldn't mess with them too much and let a vet have a good look and steer us in the right direction. It might be something that requires Surolan or something like that. We're just guessing it's mites but that could be wrong. Ivermectin is effective ONLY for mites, and it irritated Spunk's ears something terrible; luckily, she was out of it from being spayed. I'd say he also has at least bacteria because the front of his L ear looks gooey & pus-y in the pic. He may well have fungus too.

Quote Originally Posted by Emeraldgreen View Post
    That would be so great if he could hear again. We figured that the loss of hearing was probably from all the mites/infection and debris but I didn't even think to hope that he could get some hearing back. That would be so awesome. I'll start praying about that ASAP!
    In the last litter of kittens that I rescued, one of the them had ear mites so badly that I and the person who adopted her both wrongly assumed that she was deaf and I mean stone deaf. As it turned out, she had ear mites so badly that she couldn't hear but once that got taken care of she could hear just fine. If Scrawny does have an ear fungus, that's certainly treatable. Yodie has had that problem ever since the polyp was removed from her ear but I have her on drops and salve and she's doing aces.

Thank you again, Lara, for doing this for the little guy. I PM'd you, too.
    Blessings,
    Mary

Hi guys, I'm at work so can only log on for a minute but Angela has the cat in the car and just showed up here. She was going to take him to another vet and was racing to catch the ferry. This other vet is a horrible mean man ( I know firsthand because I briefly worked for him, very briefly!) so thankfully she stopped in to talk with me first! She hadn't gotten my message about my vet yet. So I just called my vet and they said that they will try and squeeze Scrawny in today if she drops him off at 3:30. She just got on the ferry now. She said that he wasn't doing well and peed on his blanket and is acting kind of strange.

Thanks again for all the posts and support! This thing is moving a little faster than I had planned but maybe that's a good thing.

Oh, I hope he can hold on until the vet takes a look at him. You're right, Lara, maybe it's a good thing that it's moving quickly. Time may be critical. Prayers going up for this sweet boy.....
    Blessings,
    Mary

Okay, just got off the phone with the vet. She is really great. Poor Scrawny has ALOT going on. He has hyperthyroid which is why he is so hungry and so skinny. He has diabetes which is why is peeing inappropriately. He has a high white blood cell count so is fighting an infection of some kind. She is wondering if he has FIP but said there is no way to know for sure. He also has a growth in his ear that is either a polyp or a tumour that bleeds easily. She said she would normally treat it with steroids but because of the diabetes she can't right now. They did a urinaylisis, blood work and a physical exam.
    She said she is not convinced that he has FIP though because she said there is no fluid build up though she did say there was a dry version.

I asked the vet if the diabetes was the type that required insulin shots and she said there is insulin dependent diabetes and there is non-insulin dependent but she doesn't know if this is a result of his being starved for so long. She said we could try a low carb diet and see if things improve. If things do improve and the diabetes is just temporary, then she said she could administer a steroid to try and shrink the polyp if it is a polyp. Otherwise he would need surgery which is not an option due to finances.

She put me on the phone with Angela who was there and we had to decide in that split second whether he lives or not, it was so *&^%$ brutal. I could not let him be put down without trying so I gave them my credit card number and asked them not to call my house because I need to keep this a secret from my husband. I shouldn't have done it but it felt like the right thing to do at that moment. I'm writing this while at work because hubby is usually sitting right behind me in the den!

I asked the vet if she could give him the Convenia injection instead of pills because my coworkers partner stopped in today and said that Angela is leaving tomorrow. I have to confirm this with her because I thought she was staying a bit longer. I know he will give the cat food but meds might be a challenge. The vet said that she would give Scrawny the Convenia injection and send him home with a month's supply of hyperthyroid pills. I'm hoping that my coworkers guy will be okay mixing the tablet in with the food. I might pick up some pill pockets tomorrow. Not sure if he can have the pill pockets with diabetes though.

Scrawny needs to be on a low carb diet. I told the vet I had about a 1/3 of a bag of Taste of the Wild which is very low carb but it's dry. So she is sending him home with some cans of Hills W/D that the pills can be mixed with.

Well, that's the scoop. My head is spinning. Angela is bringing him home and I'm going to head over there after work to see how he's doing. I'll take another pic or two. The vet cleaned out his ears and Angela said you wouldn't believe how much stuff came out. Poor guy.

Did they give any indication as to the kitty's age?