Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: help! best antivirus software?

I have one laptop that is still running McAfee. I am going to cancel it, I think, because the daily search for updates is starting to take an eternity. That may, however be because the laptop is a few years old now, I don't know. It does everything else fast enough though.

I also use AVG on a different machine. I have never had virus problems with either of them.

I loved AVG. However, I updated to version 8 which included a lot of extras and it took almost 6 hours to scan my computer!

I switched to Avast, and use Spybot S&D. (If you Google Spybot S&D, there is a result that looks a lot like it....make sure it is the real one!)

Spybot removes spyware, which comes in through the computer's "back door", and tracks your surfing habits, as well as taking up extra disk space. Also...viruses CAN come in via spyware, though I've not heard of any cases in particular.

Norton was on a friend's computer that I was working on...what a PIG to uninstall!!! It's like removing a squid, and then searching for the tentacles that broke off in the process. It's a resource hog. One of my geek friends says Norton is a virus itself in the way it acts.

Avast and Spybot - that's my choice. Have had no virus damage at all in over 5 years.
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

I have avast in my home comp... but as it let in some spyware I used the spybot S&D... so I wondered if it would be better to go with AVG and S&D... for the work one.. but is AVG made for win 2000?.. or should I go with avast..

http://news.helpero.com/article/The-...rus-is_11.html

Avast Home Edition
    With a skin-based interface Avast! is the friendliest antivirus software from our test. This can be a minus because using sophisticated skins can affect the memory usage. It has an interesting feature "VRDB". The aim of VRDB is to help when, despite all the security measures, a virus gets inside the computer and the files are infected. With the help of VRDB, it is possible to repair infected files (return them exactly to their original state). It has detected only 1 of the 2 major threats on the test computer.
    You can download Avast home Edition from here.

AVG Antivirus
    Offering a rock-solid protection AVG is THE BEST FREE ANTIVIRUS from this test. It has a very good definition update system,uses little system resources and a full time protection utility with "on-access" file scanner and e-mail scanner. The program doesn't tax your system when scanning or when running in the background and always proved effective in our tests. This app's interface can't be described as beautiful, yet it is mostly simple to navigate. During the full system scan it has detected both of our major threats on the test computer.
    You can download AVG Free Antivirus from here.
    Corinna´s Christmas Card Swap ´06
    dedicated to a lovely woman who won many hearts along her life...........
    she will be deeply missed.......Thank you for letting us be a part of your life, you will surely remain in ours FOREVER........R.I.P. Dear Corinna

Best Fireman in da House´10
    dedicated to the kindest,loveliest and always helpful dude that one would be honored and proud to know........R.I.P. Dear Phred

notes-to-my-husband blog

http://365project.org/isabelle/365

ClamWin is a free and open source anti-virus solution, that I obviously put my full weight behind. It is pretty good, I have used it before. Oh, if you ever hear the term "Back Door" they mean either:
    A) A bug in the code in Windows (which it has a lot of)
    B) A open port (internet/virtual port, not the actual ports on the physical computer) or otherwise a security vulnerability which people can exploit. Having a open port is like leaving every door in the house open wide in a large city with a high crime rate, you really don't want that.

will this protect the comp and not slow it down as a snail.... is it easy to remove if needed... and can I still have spybot just in case along withthis one..

thanks
    Corinna´s Christmas Card Swap ´06
    dedicated to a lovely woman who won many hearts along her life...........
    she will be deeply missed.......Thank you for letting us be a part of your life, you will surely remain in ours FOREVER........R.I.P. Dear Corinna

Best Fireman in da House´10
    dedicated to the kindest,loveliest and always helpful dude that one would be honored and proud to know........R.I.P. Dear Phred

notes-to-my-husband blog

http://365project.org/isabelle/365

Quote Originally Posted by Husky_mom View Post
    will this protect the comp and not slow it down as a snail.... is it easy to remove if needed... and can I still have spybot just in case along withthis one..

thanks
    Heh, ClamWin is small as heck in my experience, my computer which is older than this 9 year old desktop plowed through running it, all open source software is easy to remove if needed (Firefox is an example, although I am ticked at them for putting a EULA onto something otherwise good) and as long as Spybot Search and Destroy does not detect this as malicious software, you will be fine .

Quote Originally Posted by Husky_mom View Post

thanks
    I had Spybot on my PII !!! So thats like what, 15yrs old? Its slow, but that was the only program that didn't crash on that box.. that box went through a fire so it has a lot of damge to the hardware. & Spybot & Avast were the only programs to run smooth.. open FF or IE, or play a game CRASH LOL It was ok 50% of the time with Pigon running, as long as 2 people didn't message me at the same time.. SO I would go invisible & talk to 1 person at a time.. tell them I'll brb in 5 mins & talk to someone else for 5 mins & repeat hehehe poor poor poor old computer.

I plan to turn that box into Linux now that I have a secure xp box that actually works! (loves her uncle for the awesome gift)...

If anyone has heard of Ubuntu & is willing to expiriment with OSs, give it a shot.. it functions a LOT like windows.. but remember it is NOT windows! Its easier to use it for surfing & downloading...

Reggie do you know if they have fixed the DVD movie issues with Ubuntu or Linux in general? for 2yrs I couldn't get it to work.. but that could have been related to my box being broken... but still.. any news on that?

Quote Originally Posted by king2005 View Post
    I had Spybot on my PII !!! So thats like what, 15yrs old? Its slow, but that was the only program that didn't crash on that box.. that box went through a fire so it has a lot of damge to the hardware. & Spybot & Avast were the only programs to run smooth.. open FF or IE, or play a game CRASH LOL It was ok 50% of the time with Pigon running, as long as 2 people didn't message me at the same time.. SO I would go invisible & talk to 1 person at a time.. tell them I'll brb in 5 mins & talk to someone else for 5 mins & repeat hehehe poor poor poor old computer.

I plan to turn that box into Linux now that I have a secure xp box that actually works! (loves her uncle for the awesome gift)...

If anyone has heard of Ubuntu & is willing to expiriment with OSs, give it a shot.. it functions a LOT like windows.. but remember it is NOT windows! Its easier to use it for surfing & downloading...

Reggie do you know if they have fixed the DVD movie issues with Ubuntu or Linux in general? for 2yrs I couldn't get it to work.. but that could have been related to my box being broken... but still.. any news on that?
    If you are talking about dvd encryption problems, libdvdcss is the solution to that. If you are talking about problems with the actual playback of the dvd, any that have been are solved. Ubuntu is the best operating system for beginners, Fedora trailing second. For a PII, something more around Puppy Linux would work better than something that is huge in comparison. My PIII plows thorugh most any job what I do throws at it, and with the GeForce 6200 graphics card inside of it, games too. Linux is a pain to competely take down, I tried taking down my own computer remotely from my laptop, Linux blocked every counter-measure I knew to its defenses, every hole I knew to exploit, and every other security vurneribility that I might use. It is also the most customizable operating system I have seen in my life. Windows is like a puppy compared to how powerful Linux is.

Quote Originally Posted by Reggie View Post
    If you are talking about dvd encryption problems, libdvdcss is the solution to that. If you are talking about problems with the actual playback of the dvd, any that have been are solved. Ubuntu is the best operating system for beginners, Fedora trailing second. For a PII, something more around Puppy Linux would work better than something that is huge in comparison. My PIII plows thorugh most any job what I do throws at it, and with the GeForce 6200 graphics card inside of it, games too. Linux is a pain to competely take down, I tried taking down my own computer remotely from my laptop, Linux blocked every counter-measure I knew to its defenses, every hole I knew to exploit, and every other security vurneribility that I might use. It is also the most customizable operating system I have seen in my life. Windows is like a puppy compared to how powerful Linux is.
    SWEET!! I was sooo annoyed to loose the ability to watch DVDs cause I don't have a TV.. it was a very boring year sitting on my bed everyday after work staring at the ceiling... FB can only entertain a human for so long lol & there is only so much surfing you can do/day.. so thats 1 reason I went to XP cause I couldn't get DVDs to work any longer...

also its easier to code a website/php in Linux... + all my programmer buddies use Linux (not ubuntu, so they are no help when I run into OS issues).. they are Gentoo adicts lol Can't wait to get back into php!!

Quote Originally Posted by king2005 View Post
    SWEET!! I was sooo annoyed to loose the ability to watch DVDs cause I don't have a TV.. it was a very boring year sitting on my bed everyday after work staring at the ceiling... FB can only entertain a human for so long lol & there is only so much surfing you can do/day.. so thats 1 reason I went to XP cause I couldn't get DVDs to work any longer...

also its easier to code a website/php in Linux... + all my programmer buddies use Linux (not ubuntu, so they are no help when I run into OS issues).. they are Gentoo adicts lol Can't wait to get back into php!!
    Gentoo is the biggest pain in the rear end you will ever encouter using linux, you have to compile every single package that goes into Gentoo, so basically you make your own distribution. I use Ubuntu, Fedora, Debian (for my server), CentOS, and Windows. Ubuntu I use the most, I do not understand your coder buddies using the hardest distrobution ever unless they want to show off. I know HTML and CSS, nothing more on the web side. I know Bash and Python scripting languages, Python I am still working on.

Quote Originally Posted by Reggie View Post
    Gentoo is the biggest pain in the rear end you will ever encouter using linux, you have to compile every single package that goes into Gentoo, so basically you make your own distribution. I use Ubuntu, Fedora, Debian (for my server), CentOS, and Windows. Ubuntu I use the most, I do not understand your coder buddies using the hardest distrobution ever unless they want to show off. I know HTML and CSS, nothing more on the web side. I know Bash and Python scripting languages, Python I am still working on.
    My coder buddies need something that is 100% flexable. Several of them are known world wide. Tom gets free trips all over the world & makes sick amounts of money to do a small project. He was shipped to Paris & stayed a month 100% free! He ate like a king & travelled all over meeting so many more people. He is the creator of libtom & peekboo 1~3 (I don't remember if 3 was actually released, but I made the icon for it hehehe). Hes written books, & is known as the best in the world for cripto...
    I don't know much about that stuff :P