Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: help! best antivirus software?

Quote Originally Posted by Reggie View Post
    I never run scripts without personally looking the code over for dangerous commands.
    I can't do that, so I don't install untrusted things

Quote Originally Posted by king2005 View Post
    I don't install untrusted things
    That's the key right there. Most viruses/spyware come from people downloading things, file sharing, or opening suspicious emails. If all people would be so discriminating I don't think people would have nearly the problems with their cpu's as they do.

RIP Dusty July 2 2007 RIP Sabrina June 16 2011 RIP Jack July 2 2013 RIP Bear July 5 2016 RIP Pooky June 23 2018. RIP Josh July 6 2019 RIP Cami January 6 2022

Quote Originally Posted by Catlady711 View Post
    That's the key right there. Most viruses/spyware come from people downloading things, file sharing, or opening suspicious emails. If all people would be so discriminating I don't think people would have nearly the problems with their cpu's as they do.
    Unfortunately, people mainly around my age download whatever they think is pretty or cool and they end up clogging up their computer with trash and other malicious things. I end up helping kids decrapify their computers since I am one of the only kids that knows how to in my school .

Quote Originally Posted by Catlady711 View Post
    The funniest thing I've done is install XP fresh & then install spybot.. it always finds stuff & I'm not even connected to the internet.. funny eh?

Also that popular XP file downloader (name slips my mind) IS a virus.. I find it so funny that everyone thinks its sooooooooooo awesome, yet they are full of viruses >_>

My hubby says: Do never download a "free" antivirus program. Even if you want to get rid of it, it will NEVER let you !!

We have Kapersky now, and it is very good!
    I miss you enormously Sydney, Maya, Inka & Zazou Be happy there at the Rainbow Bridge

AVG is good, and is free.

Symantec and Norton are bastards to remove from the operating system, there are pages and pages of info on how to do it, but it's a PITA.

AVG has never posed a problem for me for removal.
    The one eyed man in the kingdom of the blind wasn't king, he was stoned for seeing light.

Heh, if something wont come off one of my Windowz computers, I personally root out and destroy what is related to it. That actually works.

Quote Originally Posted by Maya & Inka's mommy View Post
    My hubby says: Do never download a "free" antivirus program. Even if you want to get rid of it, it will NEVER let you !!

We have Kapersky now, and it is very good!
    Not true..

AVG & Avast are both free & they let you remove & add them as many times as you want. They don't care.

Best of luck removing Norton.. I tried & tried & tried on someones box & no matter what i did, it was always there to haunt them.. I got annoyed & just formatted their computer & redid everything properly.. love msconfig

Not true..

AVG & Avast are both free & they let you remove & add them as many times as you want. They don't care.

Best of luck removing Norton.. I tried & tried & tried on someones box & no matter what i did, it was always there to haunt them.. I got annoyed & just formatted their computer & redid everything properly.. love msconfig

What is "not true!" ?? My hubby once downloaded a free 3-months trial. After 3 months he decided he didn't want to purchase it, so he tried to delete it!
    IS IT DELETED? NO............ . It even keeps interfearing with our other program we have now!
    I miss you enormously Sydney, Maya, Inka & Zazou Be happy there at the Rainbow Bridge

This has been my experience, too. My computer guy (thank goodness for him) had a devil of a time w/removing Norton and he's an expert. As it turned out, the Norton application itself was corrupt and really messed things up for me. After it occured twice, I said 'no more Norton'. I have Trend Micro right now and it hasn't protected my computer any better than AVG which is free.
    Blessings,
    Mary

"Time and unforeseen occurrence befall us all." Ecclesiastes 9:11

Quote Originally Posted by Maya & Inka's mommy View Post
    What is "not true!" ?? My hubby once downloaded a free 3-months trial. After 3 months he decided he didn't want to purchase it, so he tried to delete it!
    IS IT DELETED? NO............ . It even keeps interfearing with our other program we have now!
    Thats different.. Thats a trial version.. not a free version.. Trial versions are just as evil as the paid ones hehe

Quote Originally Posted by Medusa View Post
    This has been my experience, too. My computer guy (thank goodness for him) had a devil of a time w/removing Norton and he's an expert. As it turned out, the Norton application itself was corrupt and really messed things up for me. After it occured twice, I said 'no more Norton'. I have Trend Micro right now and it hasn't protected my computer any better than AVG which is free.
    Give Avast a try. Its always been my fav & hasn't failed me yet

I´ve used avast.. but lately it had soem weird virus... that supposedly was for avast and i tried and in never took it away... so i got search & destroy and apparently worked...

but now I´ve changed mouse´s because the older one when used.. well... it was like if was clicking like mad at other stuff.. and only by moving the mouse... now changed (usb mouse) I´ve had no problems
    Corinna´s Christmas Card Swap ´06
    dedicated to a lovely woman who won many hearts along her life...........
    she will be deeply missed.......Thank you for letting us be a part of your life, you will surely remain in ours FOREVER........R.I.P. Dear Corinna

Best Fireman in da House´10
    dedicated to the kindest,loveliest and always helpful dude that one would be honored and proud to know........R.I.P. Dear Phred

notes-to-my-husband blog

http://365project.org/isabelle/365

which would be best AVG, Panda, Avast or Search & Destroy... I ask because I intend installing one of those to the work comp...

it has windows 2000 service pak 4
    Corinna´s Christmas Card Swap ´06
    dedicated to a lovely woman who won many hearts along her life...........
    she will be deeply missed.......Thank you for letting us be a part of your life, you will surely remain in ours FOREVER........R.I.P. Dear Corinna

Best Fireman in da House´10
    dedicated to the kindest,loveliest and always helpful dude that one would be honored and proud to know........R.I.P. Dear Phred

notes-to-my-husband blog

http://365project.org/isabelle/365

Quote Originally Posted by Husky_mom View Post
    I´ve used avast.. but lately it had soem weird virus... that supposedly was for avast and i tried and in never took it away... so i got search & destroy and apparently worked...

but now I´ve changed mouse´s because the older one when used.. well... it was like if was clicking like mad at other stuff.. and only by moving the mouse... now changed (usb mouse) I´ve had no problems
    Search & Destroy isn't an anti virus program, thats a spyware remover program.. It best to run those both together as they'll catch what the other wasn't designed to do

Search & Destroy = Spybot
    Unless its a new program or something

All virus programs will be targetted at some point.. but the lower key ones like AVG & Avast will be targetted a lot less as they are free. But more so Avast as I find AVG adertizes too much, so coders target it more.. which is still rare regardless...