Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: help! best antivirus software?

help! best antivirus software?

all right, i need some computer advice. i have windowsxp, i have the free versions of AVG8.0, ad-aware, spybot search&destroy. should i get the norton or mcafee, the hardware and install that? i'm using my computer to check my finances, i'm getting more worried about virus', spyware and other internet security issues. thanks joyce
    joyce who has princess peanut, spokesdog for the catpack, mojo, magic, kira and squirty, members of the catpack, angel duke, a good dog who is missed and angel alex the wonder dog, handsome prince.

I've had every virus protection you've named and then some and still viruses were able to creep in. I talked to my computer guy about it and he said none is better or worse than the other, so you may as well go w/the free stuff.
    Blessings,
    Mary

"Time and unforeseen occurrence befall us all." Ecclesiastes 9:11

As Medusa said, they are all next to identical, so just layer lots of free ones on unless you want to be like me and run Linux as your primary operating system .

Symantec is the best for me.

I as well have tried all & then some.. Now I really like WebRoot & keep going back to it..

~~~Thank You Very Much {Kim} kimlovescats for the Grand Siggy~~~

[[ Furr Babies are Like Potato Chips **** No One Can Have Just One ]]
    ****** Kindness, Mercy & Justice to All Living Creatures ******
    {{{{{Everyday is a Gift = That's why it's Called the Present }}}}}
    ((( Each Day With Our Pets is a Surprise Package Waiting to be Opened )))
    <Sunsets are God's Reminder to Us That At The End of the Day We're All In This Together>

I used Norton/Symantec for years and never had problems until they started combining the firewall and antivirus on one disk, then it was crash city and slowed my cpu to a crawl.

I tried a free trial download of mccaffe once and got nailed with so many pop ups (that one had no popup blocker) that it was impossible to surf the web.

I have to use the free stuff on hubby's cpu because it's a win 98 and none of the newer antivirus/firewall software will work on his and he's had two things get through it (and that's with spybot, and avg to boot).

I recently got the TrendMicro for my cpu and it seems to work fairly well. The only problem I'm having is an issue with my keyboard and mouse sometimes, but I just replaced my mouse so I can't be sure that isn't the problem not the TrendMicro. So far I'm happy with TrendMicro. Plus they had a Staples deal if you were switching from another antivirus company to theirs and bought at Staples you'd get a rebate. After the rebate the software only costs me $30.

RIP Dusty July 2 2007 RIP Sabrina June 16 2011 RIP Jack July 2 2013 RIP Bear July 5 2016 RIP Pooky June 23 2018. RIP Josh July 6 2019 RIP Cami January 6 2022

Quote Originally Posted by Catlady711 View Post
    The only problem I'm having is an issue with my keyboard and mouse sometimes, but I just replaced my mouse so I can't be sure that isn't the problem not the TrendMicro.
    Do you have Bluetooth on your computer by any chance?
    Blessings,
    Mary

Quote Originally Posted by Medusa View Post
    Do you have Bluetooth on your computer by any chance?
    No, it's just a normal desktop with nothing fancy on it.

RIP Dusty July 2 2007 RIP Sabrina June 16 2011 RIP Jack July 2 2013 RIP Bear July 5 2016 RIP Pooky June 23 2018. RIP Josh July 6 2019 RIP Cami January 6 2022

There are differences between anti viruses!

The one you pay for are usually the ones that have viruses made for them to take it down. So using free ware thats NOT a resource hog is is the way to go.. I strongly recommend Avast. I have yet to get a virus from it. Its always stopped them before infecting my computer.. well my windows computer anyways.. No viruses for my linux computer, so loads of save downloading for me, WOOT!

Quote Originally Posted by Catlady711 View Post
    No, it's just a normal desktop with nothing fancy on it.
    Ok, just wondering. I've had the same problem w/my maus and keyboard and it's the Bluetooth that keeps messing things up and I have the same virus protection that you do.
    Blessings,
    Mary

Quote Originally Posted by king2005 View Post
    There are differences between anti viruses!

The one you pay for are usually the ones that have viruses made for them to take it down. So using free ware thats NOT a resource hog is is the way to go.. I strongly recommend Avast. I have yet to get a virus from it. Its always stopped them before infecting my computer.. well my windows computer anyways.. No viruses for my linux computer, so loads of save downloading for me, WOOT!
    You cant have a virus made to take down a anti-virus program, such actions require someone to directly break into your computer to disable it. If there ever was one such as you described, having multiple anti-virus programs will defeat the virus before it ever attacks its target.

Quote Originally Posted by Reggie View Post
    You cant have a virus made to take down a anti-virus program, such actions require someone to directly break into your computer to disable it. If there ever was one such as you described, having multiple anti-virus programs will defeat the virus before it ever attacks its target.
    No one has to break into your computer to have a virus take out your virus program... It happened to Norton & PC cillian I believe a few years back... & running more then 1 virus scanner wont stop new virus'.. it only lessens the chances of catching older virus'

No one has to break into your computer to have a virus take out your virus program... It happened to Norton & PC cillian I believe a few years back... & running more then 1 virus scanner wont stop new virus'.. it only lessens the chances of catching older virus'
    Guess why I run linux .

Quote Originally Posted by Reggie View Post
    Guess why I run linux .
    Thats why I use it!

But you still have to watch out for scripts.. I always have the auto run scripts turned off

Thats why I use it!

But you still have to watch out for scripts.. I always have the auto run scripts turned off
    I never run scripts without personally looking the code over for dangerous commands.