Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 3 year old kitty with urinary issues

3 year old kitty with urinary issues

My 3 year old neutered male kitty, Jack has been to the Vet three times in the last month and a half for urinary tract issues. I first noticed him going to the litter box frequently, then peeing on anything and everything in the house- so we went to the Vet. He had a full exam, and was given a 10 day prescription for Amoxil and Oxazepam. We tried putting him on food the Vet recommended, but he wouldn't touch it. He normally eats Iams Multicat, and doesn't even look at anything else. He drinks lots of water as well.

For a few days after the meds were finished he seemed better, then the peeing everywhere started again. Back to the Vet for another exam, a complete urinalysis and a new prescription for Oxezapam and Baytril. Again, he seemed better for a few days, now hes back to peeing on the furniture and licking his privates again. What is going on here?

His urinalysis showed no evidence of crystals, his temperature was normal and the physical exam showed no abnormalities. I'm perplexed! ..and a little disheartened to have my furniture full of cat pee all the time. Is there something we could be missing, that the Vet wouldn't normally test for? This is SO frustrating for us, and Jack as well I am sure! Please help!
    Saving just one pet won't change the world...but, surely, the world will change for that one pet

Have you changed is litter recently?? When I had Buddy, he was peeing all over everything. Then I figured out it was the litter (I used Feline Pine at the time) I was using. I took him to the vet and rule out a UTI. I changed the litter to an unscented scoopable litter and that did the trick.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

Hi Donna! ( It's Mel!)

I've always used the same litter, although it IS a scented litter. I'll switch to the unscented to see if it helps. It doesn't bother any of the other cats- and I've been using it for over a year now...but its worth a try! Thanks!!
    Saving just one pet won't change the world...but, surely, the world will change for that one pet

Mel!!!!

I tried calling you and your number is disconnected! It's been so long since I've talked to you! How's things??? The kids?? James??? YOU!!!!

Please PM me with your phone number! I miss you so much!!!

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

Has the vet done a culture or done other lab tests (kidneys, glucose)?

I hope whatever the problem is it goes away very quickly.

RIP Dusty July 2 2007 RIP Sabrina June 16 2011 RIP Jack July 2 2013 RIP Bear July 5 2016 RIP Pooky June 23 2018. RIP Josh July 6 2019 RIP Cami January 6 2022

I'm thinking maybe she checked for crystals and infection and thats probably it. I live in a small toen, and if you don't ask for it specifically the Vet doesn't do anything extra. I'm making an appointment for him today, to have him checked again, this time more thoroughly. Thanks for the advice, its easier to go in with a list of things to have checked than to leave it up to them.

That's really odd that a vet won't do tests unless you specifically ask for them.

Most vets may make suggestions of what they'd like to run for tests and let the owner decide how far they want to go with it.

If you're having to specifically ask for tests, I'd guess a urine culture & sensitivity, CBC, mini profile (ALT, ALKP, GLU, TP, BUN, CREAT), and possibly electrolytes (depending on what equipment your vet has on site). The profile & CBC should rule out diabetes, kidneys, liver, and overall infection to start with. A culture/sensitivity would tell them what antibiotics will work for that infection (if there is one).

I still find it hard to understand a vet letting a client without a medical degree in vet medicine having to ask what tests they want done. The vet should already know what needs to be run and why, that's why they went to school for a degree. You might want to consider using a vet in a nearby larger town for your critters when they are sick and use the local one for routine vaccinations etc.

Keep us posted.

RIP Dusty July 2 2007 RIP Sabrina June 16 2011 RIP Jack July 2 2013 RIP Bear July 5 2016 RIP Pooky June 23 2018. RIP Josh July 6 2019 RIP Cami January 6 2022

The same kind of thing happened with my kitty Baby. He seemed to always have "peeing" issues and it had gotten to the point where my parents were threatening to have him placed else were. Finally, after he had been on numerous trials of antibiotics and steroids, my vet suggested that I give him a quarter of a vitamin C pill, for basically the rest of his life. After I had given him this for a month or so, his peeing did become more manageable (although he did have an accident here and there). If I am remembering correctly, the vitamin C made his urine more acidic, therefore decreasing any bacteria, etc. There would be times where we would take him in and he had a fever and everything, and then other times where his urine looked fine. It was stressful and I know exactly how you feel.
    Sincerely,
    Kat

Rest in Peace Baby, Hercules, and Sydney - If love could have saved you, you both would have lived forever!

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." ~Ghandi

I'VE BEEN BOO'D!

urinary troubles

Quote Originally Posted by juxie View Post
    My 3 year old neutered male kitty, Jack has been to the Vet three times in the last month and a half for urinary tract issues. I first noticed him going to the litter box frequently, then peeing on anything and everything in the house- so we went to the Vet. He had a full exam, and was given a 10 day prescription for Amoxil and Oxazepam. We tried putting him on food the Vet recommended, but he wouldn't touch it. He normally eats Iams Multicat, and doesn't even look at anything else. He drinks lots of water as well.

For a few days after the meds were finished he seemed better, then the peeing everywhere started again. Back to the Vet for another exam, a complete urinalysis and a new prescription for Oxezapam and Baytril. Again, he seemed better for a few days, now hes back to peeing on the furniture and licking his privates again. What is going on here?

His urinalysis showed no evidence of crystals, his temperature was normal and the physical exam showed no abnormalities. I'm perplexed! ..and a little disheartened to have my furniture full of cat pee all the time. Is there something we could be missing, that the Vet wouldn't normally test for? This is SO frustrating for us, and Jack as well I am sure! Please help!
    My cat is a male neutered cat he has the same trouble, it is common in male cats to have this problem, for one your cat wont let himself starve to death, but i use special kitty for urinary trouble and purina cat chow puts out a urinary dry food also try one of those,and change his litter box every day. This won't be cured you will have to live with it. but the food is impotant if you dont get him to eat it he could die from this disorder

You can also get a feline urinary acidifier with DL-Methionine (an amino acid) that's supposed to taste pretty good to cats - I think Drs. Foster & Smith carry it, among others. I'm lucky in that my Smudge is controlled on c/d kibble, which he really likes. (So does the little feral I'm about to trap - sie may be covered with fleas, but hir bladder will be nice and clean!)

Love, Columbine

I switched Jack's litter to the silica crystals, and gave him a new box in a private enclosed area- he has been fine for 2 days now. I'm keeping a close eye on him to make sure, and at the first sign of more trouble we'll go back to the Vet. I think he was associating his litter box with the pain he felt before. He's acting more like his lovable self now, and I'm hoping this is behind us. The feline urinary acidifier seems like a good preventative measure for all the cats...I'm going to look into that.

Thanks so much for your concern and advice- I'll keep you updated on the little furball

urinary problems

I have a cat named ashes, he has the same problem, my vet told me that about 30% of males are born with this disorder, you have to change his diet, put him on a urinary tract food from either purina cat or special kitty, the vet also has a food for this disorder, but it is expensive, my ashes is doing fine now that i switched foods

Quote Originally Posted by thesun898 View Post
    put him on a urinary tract food from either purina cat or special kitty
    Special Kitty is a Wally's World brand food and I would never recommend that food to anyone. Purina is a better bet, particularly Purina One.

After the third round of antibiotics, Jack peed in the sink again this morning to let me know hes still not feeling well. I'm going to make yet another Vet appointment I don't understand why he is fine ON the antibiotics, fine for 2-3 days afterwards and then back to square one.

I wasn't aware that Purina ONE had a urinary tract health food. I'm going to have a look for it today.

Please think good thoughts for poor Jack

The feline urinary acidifier seems like a good preventative measure for all the cats...I'm going to look into that.

:
    Be careful with that, since 1 kind of crystal forms in alkaline pee while the other forms in acidic pee. You don't want to accidentally encourage the crystals or to encourage the other kind. Unfortunately, there are no easy, sure-fire answers.