Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dog Revolution dosage for cats? Found the answer!

Dog Revolution dosage for cats? Found the answer!

Does anyone know the correct dosage per pound for canine Revolution used on cats? My old vet used to use this method for cats when people brought them in for one in-clinic treatment and he gave me the dosage chart at one time but I've since lost it. I'm pretty sure it is 0.4ml for 2-4kg but I thought I'd ask in case anyone else knows.
    Last edited by Emeraldgreen; 10-10-2008 at 12:44 PM.

I am not sure, but I think the revolution ingredients are different on dogs and cats... More in dogs tubes than cats.

Now, with Advantage, yes it is .4 ml per kitty. That is for 6 pounds and under, but I just use that much on each kitty, no matter how much they weigh.

Thank you so much Michelle!

Please be responsible, spay and neuter your pets!

I've been BOO'd!!! Thanks Lori!

I had always heard that the Advantage is the only one you could do that with (use the doggie stuff on the kitties). It would be nice if you could use any of it like that. Let us know what you find out...

Special Needs Pets just leave bigger imprints on your heart!

MY VET ALWAYS TOLD ME 3 GOOD DROPS OF ADVANTAGE FROM THE DOG SIZED TUBES.

SO FAR I HAVE NOT OVER DOSED THE FOUND CATS AND THAT SAVED OVER 50 % OF HAVING INDIVIDUAL CAT SIZES.
    THE RAINBOW BRIDGE FOUND HOTEL ANGELS HAVE A NEW FRIEND IN CORINNA.

ALMOND ROCCA BATON AND ELLIE ANGELS ARE GUARDIANS TO ETERNAL KITTENS ROCC-EL AND T TEEN ANGEL, ALMOND ROCA , VLAD , PAWLEE , SPRITE. LITTLE HEX, OSIRIS AND ANNIE ANGELS.
    EBONY BEAU TUBSTER AND PEACHES BW SPIKE & SMOKEY

NOW PRECIOUS AND SAM ARE TOGETHER WITH ETERNAL KITTENS SAMMY ,PRESLEY, SYLVESTER AND SCRATCHY JR , MIGHTY MARINA, COSMIC CARMEN, SAMSON ,UNDER KITTY AND SUNKIST AUTUMN & PUMPKIN.
    MIA AND ORANGE BLOSSOM ANGELS HAVE ADOPTED TUXIE , TROOPER , SONGBIRD AND LITTLE BITTY KITTIES MIA-MI BLOSSOMER, TUXEDO AND DASH AS THIER ETERNAL KITTENS.
    PRINCESS JOSEPH AND MICHAEL ARE CELEBRATING 19 YEARS AS LUCKY FOUND CATS

Frontline for dogs can be used on cats. I use it on my Dad's cat.

Sorry, I don't know about Revolution. I had a bad experience with it years ago when I first adopted Scout. My vet gave her a dose of Revolution and it made her hair fall out and her skin got red and irritated. We thought it was ringworm and I had to spend a fortune having tests and a skin culture done just to be told it wasn't ringworm but a reaction to the Revolution.

From Decker with Love

Okay, I just contacted the vet and the dosage is as follows in case anyone else is interested:

6mg/per kg which is 6mg per 2.2lb
    A large sized Revolution for dogs (colour Teal) comes in tubes that are 4ml in size and have 240mg per tube which works out to 60mg per ml.

I'm trying to help a woman who is is rescuing a stray cat that seems to be infested with fleas and mites and she thinks it is about 6 or 7 pounds so 20mg should do it which works out to about a third of a ml.

I knew my old vet used to use this method and that it was safe but I just couldn't remember the correct dosage. A shelter I used to volunteer at always bought the Revolution for dogs in 6 packs and it would provide roughly 72 doses for cats which really affordable.

Revolution in Canada is by prescription only to ensure that the cat is healthy and doesn't already have heartworm since it treats that as well but we do not have heartworm in this part of the province. And this kitty is in horrible shape and the woman helping her doesn't have any money and I happened to have some large dog Revolution on hand and really wanted to help her.

My next goal is to try and help her get the cat spayed!

Thanks for your posts everybody!

How wonderful you are helping this woman and that poor kitty! Getting rid of all the worms and stuff should help him put some weight on.

I don't know her financial situation, but maybe you could offer to go halves on his neuter and checkup. Is she in a position to give him a home? Is he fairly friendly?

Looking forward to good updates!
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

As long as the concentration (mg/mL) is the same for the different sized tubes, you can portion out dog doses for cats. It can even be done with different concentrations, by figuring out the dose in mg the animal needs (be very careful with this method and have someone else check you calculations!)
    I've been finally defrosted by cassiesmom!
    "Not my circus, not my monkeys!"-Polish proverb

Dog Revolution for Cats

Both the dog and cat versions of Revolution have the same active ingredient, selamectin. However, the strength (concentration) is double in the dog doses; moreover, you get more per vial.
    http://www.drugs.com/vet/revolution-45-mg-can.html

I use the Revolution Plum for X-Large dogs to treat my feline pets and rescues. One vial of the Xlarge dog treats 16 cats if they weigh over 5lbs. That comes out to 4 drops per cat. I squeeze the tube into a clean shot glass and use a dropper. For kittens over 6 weeks, only 2 drops are needed.

It works on fleas, ticks, ear mites, mange, and many worms, including heartworm. It is also long-lasting: typically treatment is needed every two months. It also seems well tolerated and doesn't lose effectiveness (like Advantage seems to do after a while).

Using Revolution for Dogs dosed for Cats

I use the following dosage chart, which was reviewed by several Vets. I use the 120 mg/ml 6mg/kg concentration, which is in the 40 to 85 lb solution. Run these by your Veterinarian as well. I pour the liquid from single dose tubes into a tinted bottle for storage and apply the proper dosage using a 1 ml (cc) syringe (no needle, of course) as you normally would (i.e. part fur at base of neck and apply liquid).

REVOLUTION DOSES FOR CATS 120 MG/ML 6 MG/KG
    0.5 LB / 8 OZ 0.01 ML
    1 LB 0.02 ML
    1.5 LB / 23 OZ 0.03 ML
    2 LB 0.05 ML
    3 LB 0.07 ML
    4 LB 0.09 ML
    5 LB 0.11 ML
    6 LB 0.14 ML
    7 LB 0.16 ML
    8 LB 0.18 ML
    9 LB 0.21 ML
    10 LB 0.23 ML
    11 LB 0.25 ML
    12 LB 0.27 ML
    13 LB 0.30 ML
    14 LB 0.32 ML

Update - additional information

Quote Originally Posted by LMC View Post
    I use the following dosage chart, which was reviewed by several Vets. I use the 120 mg/ml 6mg/kg concentration, which is in the 40 to 85 lb solution. Run these by your Veterinarian as well. I pour the liquid from single dose tubes into a tinted bottle for storage and apply the proper dosage using a 1 ml (cc) syringe (no needle, of course) as you normally would (i.e. part fur at base of neck and apply liquid).

REVOLUTION DOSES FOR CATS 120 MG/ML 6 MG/KG
    0.5 LB / 8 OZ 0.01 ML
    1 LB 0.02 ML
    1.5 LB / 23 OZ 0.03 ML
    2 LB 0.05 ML
    3 LB 0.07 ML
    4 LB 0.09 ML
    5 LB 0.11 ML
    6 LB 0.14 ML
    7 LB 0.16 ML
    8 LB 0.18 ML
    9 LB 0.21 ML
    10 LB 0.23 ML
    11 LB 0.25 ML
    12 LB 0.27 ML
    13 LB 0.30 ML
    14 LB 0.32 ML
    I use the above table to dose multiple cats. When dosing multiple cats, I suggest you have more than one syringe available. The Revolution solution will erode (fade) the ink off of the syringe, making it difficult to get accurate readings on smaller doses. Dispose of all syringes when done dosing your cats. Do not store them or wash them off for re-use.

Quote Originally Posted by LMC View Post
    I use the above table to dose multiple cats. When dosing multiple cats, I suggest you have more than one syringe available. The Revolution solution will erode (fade) the ink off of the syringe, making it difficult to get accurate readings on smaller doses. Dispose of all syringes when done dosing your cats. Do not store them or wash them off for re-use.
    I don't use revolution but I do use advantage for my cats. I buy the largest dog advantage and then I measure it out according to the weight of my cats. I do rinse and reuse the syringes. You need to put surgical tape or any other kind of tape to mark them because I do know that the numbers will fade with time. I use surgical tape. I just use two doses of .4ml for cats 8lbs and under and .8ml for cats over 9lbs. Most of my cats are over 9lbs. I also squirt the advantage in about 4 spots behind the neck area. I found that if you squirt the whole thing in one spot that this will cause irritation and sometimes hair loss in cats.

LMC where did that 6 come from

I admit to using an antihistamine that has my brain fogged, but I am missing where the 6 (mg/kg) came from at the top of your chart. I didn't flunk any math that I know of!

Do you happen to know the appropriate numbers for the Plum 85.1 - 130 pound dog version?

Also, my cats of varying weights, all get 1 tube from the cat Blue box. I like that we can better determine the best dose (by specific pounds), but since all of mine are getting 1 full tube as though they were all 15 pounds, how do you know for sure that limiting the dosage "is enough"? I'd like to not use anything that they don't need, but I don't want to short them and end up with heart worms.

Also are you rounding up or down to the next full pound?

Thanks!

I just went to vet and asked about this....

Well, I just returned from the vet....

He said, YES, you can use dog Revolution on cats, but you adjust the dosage.. This chart is ONLY for the 85-139 lb dog size of the Revolution.

This is the correct dosage for the size Revolution I bought per the vet.

For all adult cats that weigh 5-15 lbs, use .3cc.
    For all adult cats that weight 1-5 lbs, use .12cc.

If I am using large dog Revolution and want to measure it for my small dogs:

for dogs that weigh 5-10 lbs, use .25cc
    for dogs that weigh 10-20 lbs, use .5 cc

I trust my vet! I bought syringes (the long ones) from his office and also bought 6 months of Revolution in the 85-139 lb size for my dogs and cats. It's enough for quite a few months for all my animals. Also, just for info, I also bought some Profender. He advised to NOT use this on the same day I use the Revolution. Use one one day and then the other the next day. He also said to put the profender at the very base of the skull as they can't lick it.

Jenn
    Last edited by jcribbs; 08-26-2014 at 05:34 PM. Reason: correction on dog package size.