Thread: Dog Revolution dosage for cats? Found the answer!

Hybrid View

Dog Revolution dosage for cats? Found the answer!

Does anyone know the correct dosage per pound for canine Revolution used on cats? My old vet used to use this method for cats when people brought them in for one in-clinic treatment and he gave me the dosage chart at one time but I've since lost it. I'm pretty sure it is 0.4ml for 2-4kg but I thought I'd ask in case anyone else knows.
    Last edited by Emeraldgreen; 10-10-2008 at 12:44 PM.

I am not sure, but I think the revolution ingredients are different on dogs and cats... More in dogs tubes than cats.

Now, with Advantage, yes it is .4 ml per kitty. That is for 6 pounds and under, but I just use that much on each kitty, no matter how much they weigh.

Thank you so much Michelle!

Please be responsible, spay and neuter your pets!

I've been BOO'd!!! Thanks Lori!

I had always heard that the Advantage is the only one you could do that with (use the doggie stuff on the kitties). It would be nice if you could use any of it like that. Let us know what you find out...

Special Needs Pets just leave bigger imprints on your heart!

MY VET ALWAYS TOLD ME 3 GOOD DROPS OF ADVANTAGE FROM THE DOG SIZED TUBES.

SO FAR I HAVE NOT OVER DOSED THE FOUND CATS AND THAT SAVED OVER 50 % OF HAVING INDIVIDUAL CAT SIZES.
    THE RAINBOW BRIDGE FOUND HOTEL ANGELS HAVE A NEW FRIEND IN CORINNA.

ALMOND ROCCA BATON AND ELLIE ANGELS ARE GUARDIANS TO ETERNAL KITTENS ROCC-EL AND T TEEN ANGEL, ALMOND ROCA , VLAD , PAWLEE , SPRITE. LITTLE HEX, OSIRIS AND ANNIE ANGELS.
    EBONY BEAU TUBSTER AND PEACHES BW SPIKE & SMOKEY

NOW PRECIOUS AND SAM ARE TOGETHER WITH ETERNAL KITTENS SAMMY ,PRESLEY, SYLVESTER AND SCRATCHY JR , MIGHTY MARINA, COSMIC CARMEN, SAMSON ,UNDER KITTY AND SUNKIST AUTUMN & PUMPKIN.
    MIA AND ORANGE BLOSSOM ANGELS HAVE ADOPTED TUXIE , TROOPER , SONGBIRD AND LITTLE BITTY KITTIES MIA-MI BLOSSOMER, TUXEDO AND DASH AS THIER ETERNAL KITTENS.
    PRINCESS JOSEPH AND MICHAEL ARE CELEBRATING 19 YEARS AS LUCKY FOUND CATS

Frontline for dogs can be used on cats. I use it on my Dad's cat.

Sorry, I don't know about Revolution. I had a bad experience with it years ago when I first adopted Scout. My vet gave her a dose of Revolution and it made her hair fall out and her skin got red and irritated. We thought it was ringworm and I had to spend a fortune having tests and a skin culture done just to be told it wasn't ringworm but a reaction to the Revolution.

From Decker with Love

Okay, I just contacted the vet and the dosage is as follows in case anyone else is interested:

6mg/per kg which is 6mg per 2.2lb
    A large sized Revolution for dogs (colour Teal) comes in tubes that are 4ml in size and have 240mg per tube which works out to 60mg per ml.

I'm trying to help a woman who is is rescuing a stray cat that seems to be infested with fleas and mites and she thinks it is about 6 or 7 pounds so 20mg should do it which works out to about a third of a ml.

I knew my old vet used to use this method and that it was safe but I just couldn't remember the correct dosage. A shelter I used to volunteer at always bought the Revolution for dogs in 6 packs and it would provide roughly 72 doses for cats which really affordable.

Revolution in Canada is by prescription only to ensure that the cat is healthy and doesn't already have heartworm since it treats that as well but we do not have heartworm in this part of the province. And this kitty is in horrible shape and the woman helping her doesn't have any money and I happened to have some large dog Revolution on hand and really wanted to help her.

My next goal is to try and help her get the cat spayed!

Thanks for your posts everybody!

Last year I bought some Advantage Multi for 110 lb dogs to be used on my cats. When I went to use it, I need to get the math right so I had to do some serious research. It was difficult to find the percentages and doses to compare, but I did. I then noticed the warning to not use it on cats. What I discovered when I did the math is that the flea medicine could be compared to the dosage required for cats, basically giving me 5 doses per vial. But the heartworm medicine used was at 5 times the dose needed for cats. That was way over the top.

I gifted the pack to a shelter. I'm sticking with single med packs from now on.
    Anne
    Meowmie to Lucy Lou and Barney, and Aunt to Timmy (RIP)

Former kitties now in foster care: Nellie aka Eleanor van Fluffytail (at a Cat Cafe), Lady Jane Grey, Bob the Bobtail, and Callie. Kimi has been adopted into another family that understands Siamese. HRH Oliver Woodrow von Katz is in a Sanctuary.

I'm Homeless, but with resources, and learning to live again.

RIP Timmy (nephew kitty) May 17, 2018, Mr. Spunky (May 10, 2017), Samwise (Dec 2, 2014), Emily (Oct 8, 2013), Rose (Sept 24, 2001), Maggie (Fall 2003)