Thread: It just bugs me

It just bugs me

I am Canadian so wouldn't think of entering into any kind of discussion about the upcoming election in the United States it is not my place however there is one thing that really bugs me and it isn't restricted to the election.
    The country of Iraq is pronounced Iraq as in Illinois or Indiana. Not "I"raq as in Iowa. People from Iraq I assume know how to pronounce the name of their own country and yet the media and recently a Vice Presidential candidate continue to mispronounce it. Somehow it seems insulting to me.
    Sorry if I shouldn't have brought it up and I'll understand if you decide not to post the thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Louie and me View Post
    I am Canadian so wouldn't think of entering into any kind of discussion about the upcoming election in the United States it is not my place however there is one thing that really bugs me and it isn't restricted to the election.
    The country of Iraq is pronounced Iraq as in Illinois or Indiana. Not "I"raq as in Iowa. People from Iraq I assume know how to pronounce the name of their own country and yet the media and recently a Vice Presidential candidate continue to mispronounce it. Somehow it seems insulting to me.
    Sorry if I shouldn't have brought it up and I'll understand if you decide not to post the thread.

This is done with Iran also...not sure why.
    don't breed or buy while shelter dogs die....

I have been frosted!

Thanks Kfamr for the signature!

And Qatar... ('ka-tar' vs. 'cutter') And my home town of Lancaster. LOL We say it (lanc-ker-ster), non 'natives' say it (Lan-caster).

At the end of the day, does it really matter? What is more important, style or substance?
    "Unlike most of you, I am not a nut."

- Homer Simpson

"If the enemy opens the door, you must race in."

- Sun Tzu - Art of War

Quote Originally Posted by Puckstop31 View Post
    And Qatar... ('ka-tar' vs. 'cutter') And my home town of Lancaster. LOL We say it (lanc-ker-ster), non 'natives' say it (Lan-caster).

At the end of the day, does it really matter? What is more important, style or substance?
    HEY... I learned to say it correctly. GET OFF MY BACK

lol

R.I.P my dear Sweet Teddy. You will be missed forever. We love you.

http://www.hannahshands.etsy.com

Quote Originally Posted by caseysmom View Post
    This is done with Iran also...not sure why.

Heck, this Iranian dude I used to know called his home country, "Persia". Sad the Iran of today cannot be the Persia of old. OK, maybe just the science and technology part and not the warring empire part. LOL

A study of ancient Persia is so very relevant today... A mighty 'empire', great in science, art and technology... But greedy and mad with power... Proof that truly FREE people can conquer an enslaving power, every time. If only the will to do so exists, rather than live in the "safety and security" of slavery.
    "Unlike most of you, I am not a nut."

- Homer Simpson

"If the enemy opens the door, you must race in."

- Sun Tzu - Art of War

Quote Originally Posted by Louie and me View Post

The "I rack" and "I ran" thing bugs me too. I don't know how insulting it
    is to people from these countries, but I hate hearing it.
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Most people I know pronounce it the right way. Seems it's the media that looks to change the sound of certain words, maybe they think it makes them look more intelligent or something...in my book they sound downright stupid.

If you want to get down right technical, how do they pronounce it in their native tongue? How do you pronounce Iran or Iraq in Persian or Arabic?

Isn't Puerto Rico called Boricua?

Sweden is called Sverige by the Swedes.

So, how do you say Iran and Iraq correctly?

I think it is normal that a country adapts names to its own language. Americans pronounce Paris differently than the French, they say Venice instead of Venezia and Germany is called Deutschland here and Allemagne in France.
    It doesn't hurt my feelings that you say "Germany"

Maybe here we are jsut a bunch of rednecks, but I have never heard it pronounced any other way than I-Rack or I-Ran. The military never called it any different either, and we were being shipped there.
    Maggie,

I didn't slap you, I just high fived your Face!
    I've Been Boo'd!!

Spoof on this..... CLICK HERE

Great spoof on what the US is doing in Iraq.

I get irritated when people, talking about me, say "she's half 'I' talian" so I assume that it would bug them too. My mother in law is guilty of pronouncing it that way .... but then again she pronounces a lot of things wrong.... so I don't take it the wrong way.

Quote Originally Posted by beeniesmom View Post
    I get irritated when people, talking about me, say "she's half 'I' talian" so I assume that it would bug them too. My mother in law is guilty of pronouncing it that way .... but then again she pronounces a lot of things wrong.... so I don't take it the wrong way.
    yep, that's another word that is mispronounced. My SIL is from a Italian
    family and she was always amused by it.
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt