Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help with a school project

Help with a school project

My daughter has strep throat and feels like its the end of the world. That said, she has a paper due and can't seem to come up with examples. I thought I might help her by giving her examples and then she can concentrate on writing the paper.

The paper's topic is: Compared to voice phone, text messaging has many advantages. "Essay needs to be full of examples from anywhere."

All she can think of in her fever haze is how it offers privacy and its quiet. I know there's a hundred other reasons of how text messaging has more advantages. If anyone can help with advantages and examples, I'd appreciate it and forward the suggestions to her. I wish I could help her but I don't use text except when hubby's in school and I can't call him, and its always a simple "call me". Since its her paper, I can't exactly have her use that example

Thanks!

The one thing I like about texting is you can respond when you want to or have time. Not like a phone conversation that you have to engage in right then and there. I will have conversations all day long with someone through texting.
    That's the only thing I can think of right now. My BF hates it when I text. He says - just pick up the darn phone and call her!!! LOL

ETA: What you said is a good one. You can send someone a message to call you when they cannot be bothered with a phone call. Like when you know they are in a meeting or school.
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

-You are sure that what you sent is with the exact words you wanted!
    -no disturbance from noise-making-kids
    -it takes far less time than a spoken conversation. I am a very "talkative" person, so I know what I am talking about
    I miss you enormously Sydney, Maya, Inka & Zazou Be happy there at the Rainbow Bridge

There is a record of what was said, and by whom! - no hearsay

Quote Originally Posted by Nomilynn View Post
    There is a record of what was said, and by whom! - no hearsay
    Oh, good one!!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

I acutally don't even have texting, but I could think of some good things about it.

-If you want noone else to hear what your saying
    -No akward silences, if you just don't reply back once there is nothing to say
    -If you just need to send a quick message, like "meet me at the mall at 3" rather than calling them to just say something simple
    -Just to say hi, and see how someone's day is going
    -You needed to get a phone number or address. You don't need a pen and paper to copy in down, you'll just have it on your phone

• It is hard to eavesdrop on a text conversation
    • You can text much more quietly than you can talk
    • Text Messages are adaptable (ex. you can send a command to a computer through a text message [yes, you can :P])
    • You can send people images, sounds, etc. through text messages
    • You dont lose text message quality depending on the signal you have unless you have no signal
    Those are the only ones I can think of off the top of my head.

The only big thing that counts for me is that I always have my cell with me. If something comes up that I absolutely have to get hold of someone in an area where I can't talk, texting is available in an instant, no need to leave the area.

In addition to what has already been mentioned, texting is often cheaper than calling someone from your cell. Especially if you are texting someone in a different state... or country.

*Thanks Ashley*

Quote Originally Posted by Shelteez2 View Post
    In addition to what has already been mentioned, texting is often cheaper than calling someone from your cell. Especially if you are texting someone in a different state... or country.
    I was going to mention this too... NO long distance for text messages. when I was in Canada and hubby was back here in PA I could send him a text if I had something quick to ask or just to tell him I was thinking of him without outrageous long distance charges

R.I.P my dear Sweet Teddy. You will be missed forever. We love you.

http://www.hannahshands.etsy.com

ok... so far all things listed apply to me:

cheaper than phone call... I usually hav ethe call me thing too. hehe
    no long distance.... with hubby on trips a text is fine to be communicated
    you can answer if you want or not... lol... and when you want to...
    you can text in a boring place and go unnoticed...
    you can "fake" receiving a text... and use it as pretext to get out of somewhere...
    etc....

but I do have a downside to it... according some studies texting while driving has the same or more effect as if you were drunk or on narcotics... ... while talking doesn´t...

not saying anyone should do this... but when texting you have your eyesight somewhere else... while talking you can talk looking ahead of you...
    Corinna´s Christmas Card Swap ´06
    dedicated to a lovely woman who won many hearts along her life...........
    she will be deeply missed.......Thank you for letting us be a part of your life, you will surely remain in ours FOREVER........R.I.P. Dear Corinna

Best Fireman in da House´10
    dedicated to the kindest,loveliest and always helpful dude that one would be honored and proud to know........R.I.P. Dear Phred

notes-to-my-husband blog

http://365project.org/isabelle/365

Quote Originally Posted by Husky_mom View Post

but I do have a downside to it... according some studies texting while driving has the same or more effect as if you were drunk or on narcotics... ... while talking doesn´t...

not saying anyone should do this... but when texting you have your eyesight somewhere else... while talking you can talk looking ahead of you...

New law just went into affect in California in July that you cannot use your cell phone while driving. Hands free ONLY. So this includes texting. However, I see people driving holding the phone up in front of them, obviously they have the person on speaker. Ok, this is NOT hands free!! DUH!! One time I saw a guy with an ear piece and he was holding the ear piece up to his ear to listen and then holding it up to his mouth to talk. Ummmm......

It was so weird to see people talking on phones and driving while we were in Nevada at the end of last month.

You can text someone that you know is unable to verbally answer the phone at that time...but you need to let them know something. For example...I needed to update my mom while taking my stepdad's mother to a surgeon. We found out Jerry's mom has cancer and needs a mastectomy. My mom's work can record her phone calls, so she doesn't like to make personal phone calls on her work line, regardless of their importance.

So, I texted her the above information and she calls me from her cell phone when she can. That way at least she knows what is going on and isn't sitting there all frantic while working.

Hope that helps.
    ...RIP, our sweet Gini...

You don't have to find a way to end the phone converstation. I hate that.

In places with low cell signal, a text will often get through. Also when the battery on the phone is low, a text wont use nearly as much power. In an emergency, this can be incredibly useful.