Thread: Sabrina is vomiting white foam! **update Fri. 10/23/08**

Hybrid View

Sabrina is vomiting white foam! **update Fri. 10/23/08**

Friday morning I woke up to little vomit piles all over the livingroom. One was food, one was hair, and the rest white foam. I wasn't sure who was doing it since Pooky does tend to eat too much/fast and vomit food, but I've never seen one of my critters vomit white foam before. Just before I left for work I saw Sabrina vomit her breakfast back up. She normally doesn't vomit.

When I came home for lunch she ate just fine, acted normal, ate normal. Just before I went back to work she was vomiting white foam, a bit of hair, and a dab of her food but not all of it. I asked one of the vets at work about it and he said that if something upsets their tummy they can do that. Since she was eating and acting normally he didn't think it was something to get too worried about at this time.

However today she vomited like 7-8 times before breakfast, but she did eat her food and kept it down to my knowledge. (can't guarantee there isn't something nasty behind a couch or something) The vomit was mostly white foam with a bit of hair. I figured a hair ball so I gave everyone some hairball meds, which they were due for anyways. She ate hers just fine.

She didn't want to eat lunch today, she just plain turned her nose up at it. As it was I had to go bring her to the food dish, she was the only one that didn't come running.

She did drink some water out of the bathroom faucet and did want supper which I let her eat it on the counter (which I never do) so I could monitor how much she ate.

About 5 mintues later she vomited up the food and more white foamy stuff.

I called the ER clinic and they said to bring her in so that's where I'm heading now. My first ever run to the ER vets.

In researching vomiting white foam all I came up with on PT was for animals that had went to the RB and other things I found from Google weren't any more encouraging. Fortunately the ER clinic will give me a 25% professional discount because I work at a vet hospital.

Please keep her in your thoughts and pray HARD for her! And if you could also please pray for me that this won't bankrupt me!

I'll update you when I get back.
    Last edited by Catlady711; 10-23-2008 at 07:48 PM.

RIP Dusty July 2 2007 RIP Sabrina June 16 2011 RIP Jack July 2 2013 RIP Bear July 5 2016 RIP Pooky June 23 2018. RIP Josh July 6 2019 RIP Cami January 6 2022

I hope that the ER vet can figure out what is causing Sabrina to vomit so many times and why she is throwing up white foam. Poor girl. Please update us when you get a chance. I hope it's nothing serious!

Prayers for Sabrina!

I hope they find something very solvable!

{{{{hugs}}}}
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

Ok so now it's 2:30 a.m. and we're home. Sabrina is in my bathroom now, poor thing had a stressful night.

She did very good at the ER vets office, she only tried to bite when they palpitated her and when they did x-rays. I muzzled her for them for the x-rays which they were nice enough to let me suit up and watch them! They had a digital x-ray which is a higher end version of our non digital one at work.

Anyways the only thing they could find wrong with her was bad constipation! So now I'm having horrible thoughts of a second megacolon cat. They did say stress could cause that. There has been alot of stress around the house lately plus they're doing construction all day near my house which don't help any.

They gave her an enema but she wouldn't poop for them, so they sent her home hoping she'd go when she's more relaxed. So far all she's done is pee.

They said I could give her some of Jack's Lactulose and calculated a dose for me for her size and fortunately for me she likes the stuff!

I gave her exactly 30 crunchies with 1/2 dose of the Lactulose on it and we'll see if she'll keep that down then I'll give the other part of the Lactulose and more food.

Right now I'm sitting at my cpu finally getting a chance to soak my toes and change my bandages from my toe surgery.

Fortunately the cost wasn't too bad with the professional discount they gave me, total bill was only $169. It would have been around $230 without the discount.

Oh and while I was there I found a card for a nearby place that does local cat behavior counceling for free! I'm going to be calling them Monday to see if we can get the marking urine and cat fighting to stop. I've already ordered one of the Feliway plug in's from work too.

Anyways so I just wanted to make sure to update you.

Thank you guys so much for the thoughts and prayers. Please keep praying that her food will stay down and she poops overnight or she has to go back to the ER.

RIP Dusty July 2 2007 RIP Sabrina June 16 2011 RIP Jack July 2 2013 RIP Bear July 5 2016 RIP Pooky June 23 2018. RIP Josh July 6 2019 RIP Cami January 6 2022

I didn't see this until this morning. My Puddy would vomit white foam on occasion and it was usually due to nausea because there was never any food in it. Once in a while I'd find some hair in it, as you experienced, but I figured that was from a hairball. I sure hope that all goes well for Sabrina and you. You're both in my prayers.
    Blessings,
    Mary

"Time and unforeseen occurrence befall us all." Ecclesiastes 9:11

It's weird you should mention vomiting foam because Mollie Rose has been doing that as well. I think it's because of post nasal drip due to her allergies. She's been using the box, eating and sleeping so I'm not too concerned.

You and Sabrina will be in my thoughts and prayers.

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

worms

Quote Originally Posted by Catlady711 View Post
    Friday morning I woke up to little vomit piles all over the livingroom. One was food, one was hair, and the rest white foam. I wasn't sure who was doing it since Pooky does tend to eat too much/fast and vomit food, but I've never seen one of my critters vomit white foam before. Just before I left for work I saw Sabrina vomit her breakfast back up. She normally doesn't vomit.

When I came home for lunch she ate just fine, acted normal, ate normal. Just before I went back to work she was vomiting white foam, a bit of hair, and a dab of her food but not all of it. I asked one of the vets at work about it and he said that if something upsets their tummy they can do that. Since she was eating and acting normally he didn't think it was something to get too worried about at this time.

However today she vomited like 7-8 times before breakfast, but she did eat her food and kept it down to my knowledge. (can't guarantee there isn't something nasty behind a couch or something) The vomit was mostly white foam with a bit of hair. I figured a hair ball so I gave everyone some hairball meds, which they were due for anyways. She ate hers just fine.

She didn't want to eat lunch today, she just plain turned her nose up at it. As it was I had to go bring her to the food dish, she was the only one that didn't come running.

She did drink some water out of the bathroom faucet and did want supper which I let her eat it on the counter (which I never do) so I could monitor how much she ate.

About 5 mintues later she vomited up the food and more white foamy stuff.

I called the ER clinic and they said to bring her in so that's where I'm heading now. My first ever run to the ER vets.

In researching vomiting white foam all I came up with on PT was for animals that had went to the RB and other things I found from Google weren't any more encouraging. Fortunately the ER clinic will give me a 25% professional discount because I work at a vet hospital.

Please keep her in your thoughts and pray HARD for her! And if you could also please pray for me that this won't bankrupt me!

I'll update you when I get back.
    worms can cause a cat to vomit like that, the cat can get worms from fleas, eating dead mice or anything that is carrying their eggs, its real common in fleas

Quote Originally Posted by thesun898 View Post
    worms can cause a cat to vomit like that, the cat can get worms from fleas, eating dead mice or anything that is carrying their eggs, its real common in fleas

I know. We don't have mice in our house, and the cats are always treated every month with Revolution. Even though we've never had a flea problem, I'd rather prevent it from happening to start with.

The type of worms cats get from fleas/rodents is the tape worm and is most commonly seen as white rice like segments on the stool or around the rear end. Vomiting worms is more commonly associated with Roundworms which are a different type of worm and look more like long round spaghetti. (sorry for the food references, but that's how we usually describe them at work.)

As for an update on my trio of little ones...

After rotating who had to be shut in all 3 are now back to getting along and eating out of the same bowl again.

Sassy & Sabrina have not vomited recently. Shortly after they started having an appetite again they did do some vomiting (not the white foam though) mostly because they ate too fast and too much. I guess they were trying to make up for lost time. I started taking their food away before they were done to help gradually get them back up to their normal amounts of food. Things have been going very well since then.

Thank you all again for the PT prayers. My babies very much appreciate it, as well as their meowmy!

Wonka throwing up white foam/

my cat wonka is 6 yrs old he has been throwing up with foam no hair just foam before he does this he meows wierd? he is eating and going to the bathroom .dont know what is going on does any one have any clue..

rosebudfury - start a new thread with your question and you will get more responses. This one is over a year old! :-)

I would say take your kitty to the vet for a check-over.

Welcome to Pet Talk.
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

Quote Originally Posted by Catty1 View Post
    rosebudfury - start a new thread with your question and you will get more responses. This one is over a year old! :-)

I would say take your kitty to the vet for a check-over.

Welcome to Pet Talk.
    thank you i am new here and did not know

Quote Originally Posted by rosebudfury View Post
    thank you i am new here and did not know

That's ok and understandable. On some boards the encourage renewing older threads on similar topics. Here it can go either way, however many people will miss your question and respond to an obsolete thread title instead of the question buried within it.

I second the vet visit. In my Sabrina's case she had a respiratory infection or virus that cause her to vomit the white foam. She required antibiotics and cortisone to fix her up. Your kitty will likely benefit more and faster with a visit to her vet.

And welcome to PT.

My cat is doing the same -- no emergency vet nearby

I realize this thread is old but it looks like the people involved have some true experience about it.

My cat has vomited two days in a row and eventually only vomited foam today (saliva?). Now she has no appetite and won't drink water.

It's Saturday evening and I can't get to a vet until Monday. Do you think she'll be okay, although a bit dehydrated, by Monday?

Any advice?