Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HAPPY ENDING #13 * Seattle cat needs donations for kidney stone surgery

HAPPY ENDING #13 * Seattle cat needs donations for kidney stone surgery

The human she went to for help (her former humans dumped her) is requesting donations, or information about a vet who does discounted or pro bono work.

Save Dorie

Love, Columbine
    Last edited by columbine; 10-07-2008 at 08:37 AM. Reason: Title was out of date

I PM'd emily_the_spoiled the link to this thread. She lives in Seattle, so hopefully will know someone.

TRY THIS - PIMA in Seattle has a Vet Tech and Vet Assistant course:http://www.pmi.edu/locations/seattle.asp

They will work with vets, and might have some help for Dorie.

Here is a Vet Medical School in Seattle a quote from one page:

On a very limited basis, funds are available for ownerless animals or owners with special circumstances. See “Gifting Programs”.
    Here is the link to the Gifting Program:

http://www.vetmed.wsu.edu/depts-prd/GoodSam/

To be eligible for financial support through the Good Samaritan fund:

* Patients eligible for support will be common companion animal species. Such patients will have a need for life saving procedures and a reasonable prognosis for good long-term recovery.
    * Patients will be either ownerless or owned by clients that cannot pay for care due to circumstances beyond the client's control. Animals from animal control agencies, humane societies, and business entities will be considered owned and not eligible for funds.
    * Patients without an owner must have a temperament that does not prevent future adoption.

To inquire if your pet may be eligible for financial support through the Good Samaritan fund contact:

Dr. Harmon Rogers, Hospital Director using this Request Form

I am sending this to Dorie's guardian, but leaving the info here as well, in case she peeks in.
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

I sent the info to Cecilia, Dorie's guardian, and got a reply in no time.

Here's what she wrote:

Dear Candace ,

Thank you for this info and I will fill out this from right now. It is so nice to know there are people out there who care so much.

Thank you,
    Prayers for Dorie!

Did Emily_the_spoiled move??? She lived in Washington, DC the last I knew.

Cheryl, you're still in DC, right??

Candace, you are a veritable PIRATE when it comes to scaring up a treasure-trove of information! Fair wind to ye!

Love, Columbine

WE CAN ONLY SEND OUR PRAYERS AND BEST WISHES AS JUKE JOINT JOSEPHS GOING BACK TO THE VETS MONDAY , AND ITS SHOT TIME SOON FOR THE FOUND PARADISE HOTEL CATS.
    WE ARE PRAYING FOR DORIE, AND MY DEAR MOTHER DORIS WILL BE THERE WITH HERT NMAESAKE TO COMFORT AND HELP THAT POOR LITTLE CAT.
    AND MY DEAR MOTHER WAS AN EXPERT IN CAT LOVE , SO DORIE HAS AN EXPERT ON YOUR SIDE
    THE RAINBOW BRIDGE FOUND HOTEL ANGELS HAVE A NEW FRIEND IN CORINNA.

ALMOND ROCCA BATON AND ELLIE ANGELS ARE GUARDIANS TO ETERNAL KITTENS ROCC-EL AND T TEEN ANGEL, ALMOND ROCA , VLAD , PAWLEE , SPRITE. LITTLE HEX, OSIRIS AND ANNIE ANGELS.
    EBONY BEAU TUBSTER AND PEACHES BW SPIKE & SMOKEY

NOW PRECIOUS AND SAM ARE TOGETHER WITH ETERNAL KITTENS SAMMY ,PRESLEY, SYLVESTER AND SCRATCHY JR , MIGHTY MARINA, COSMIC CARMEN, SAMSON ,UNDER KITTY AND SUNKIST AUTUMN & PUMPKIN.
    MIA AND ORANGE BLOSSOM ANGELS HAVE ADOPTED TUXIE , TROOPER , SONGBIRD AND LITTLE BITTY KITTIES MIA-MI BLOSSOMER, TUXEDO AND DASH AS THIER ETERNAL KITTENS.
    PRINCESS JOSEPH AND MICHAEL ARE CELEBRATING 19 YEARS AS LUCKY FOUND CATS

OOPS - wrong Washington!

My bad....

Hi guys,

I finally signed on and read my PM's. Sorry Candace, I live in DC and not the state ...

Yep, I know, Emily....I'm from Canada eh? And Washington STATE is pretty close by. In my rush to help Dorie, I just thought WASHINGTON!

oops!

Anyway, Cecilia was contacting them right away. Dorie fits all the criteria for help from their fund, from what I know - so am keeping fingers crossed.

Don't worry, I am also from Canada (the last place I lived was actually Calgary). So when I go back and I am introduced to new people and they find out I am from Washington. Their first thought is usually the state. I think it is a "West thing " rather than an "Canadian thing". Because I have the same experience on the West Coast of the US.

Here's a pic. Cecilia doesn't have a regular carrier...but there is a neat bag she uses that Dorie seems just fine with.

What a pretty girl!

From the blog: "UPDATE: Phinney Ridge Animal Hospital will charge only $750 but they recommend a budget of $1000 for "elverything"."

Here's the link again: http://savedorie.webs.com/index.htm

I sent her more contact info on the Vet School at Washington U...I hope they let her know soon. Dorie is scheduled for surgery Wednesday or Thursday.

There are ways to help without donating money. Please click on the link for more info.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Right now all I can offer if my prays but if in December they still need some and I have some money then I'll be glad to help out.

Melissa

GREAT UPDATE!

http://savedorie.webs.com/blog.htm?blogentryid=4067724
    Blog

Dorie finds a savior... and maybe a home. Thanks (and totals) for Day #3
    Monday, Oct 6, 2008

An anonymous surgical vet has come to Dorie's rescue. DORIE WILL BE GETTING THE LIFE-SAVING SURGERY SHE NEEDS TODAY! I dropped her off before work this morning, and will be getting a call later to see how she's doing.

In addition, this kind doctor has offered to give Dorie a home.

She's going home with the doctor tonight to see how well she can adapt. (If she isn't happy - the doctor promised to call me first. I'd rather have her back than put her in the system!)

I know some of you will be sad to hear that I had to give up Dorie, but I think she'll be happier. She's too young and hyper for my tiny studio apartment, and she's used to having other cat friends. I just can't bear to put her back outside, but she's cooped up and bored here. This is best for her.

Thank you readers for all your kind letters. Your words of encouragement and advice really helped me. Thanks to those who gave what they could. It will all go toward paying the vet bills.

...and a belated thank you to Tom my apartment manager for looking the other way and not charging the $800 pet deposit I should have paid before bringing a cat into the building.

And the biggest thank you of all to The Doctor Who Saved Dorie!!

Total Vet Bills: $445
    Total Raised in the Save Dorie campaign: $60

Dorie's Life: Priceless

Wow, talk about a happy ending! That's great! What a relief! Now the little baby can heal in a happy home w/people who really want to give her lots of love.
    Blessings,
    Mary

"Time and unforeseen occurrence befall us all." Ecclesiastes 9:11

Quote Originally Posted by Catty1 View Post
    GREAT UPDATE!

http://savedorie.webs.com/blog.htm?blogentryid=4067724
    Blog

Dorie finds a savior... and maybe a home. Thanks (and totals) for Day #3
    Monday, Oct 6, 2008

An anonymous surgical vet has come to Dorie's rescue. DORIE WILL BE GETTING THE LIFE-SAVING SURGERY SHE NEEDS TODAY! I dropped her off before work this morning, and will be getting a call later to see how she's doing.

In addition, this kind doctor has offered to give Dorie a home.
    Wow! FANTASTIC news - and thank you for posting it, because my browser (the latest Firefox) somehow stumbles over the URL and wouldn't let me see this!

Thank you Candace, and everyone who helped get the word out! Huzzah for little Dorie, and for Cecilia for all her hard work, and everyone who prayed, sent good thoughts and energy, and loved this little cat back to life!

Love, Columbine