Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: pitbulls

pitbulls

I love pitbulls. They are so beautiful and friendly! But one thing always goes through my mind when I think about them: are they born with their instinct to fight or are they trained to do that? Thanks to all that respond
    DACHSHUND THOUGHTS:
    1. If I like it, it's mine.
    2. If it's in my mouth, it's mine.
    3. If I can take it from you, it's mine.
    4. If I had it a little while ago, it's mine.
    5. If it's mine, it must never appear to be yours in any way.
    6. If I'm chewing something, all the pieces are mine.
    7. If it looks just like mine, it's mine.
    8. If I saw it first, it's mine.
    9. If you are playing with something and you put it down, it automatically becomes mine.

I believe that there is some instinct, yes, but the majority of it like 99% is taught and how they were raised.

facebook

Yes, Pit Bulls do have some instinct, but as Jessika said, it depends on how they are raised.

Kaitlyn (the human)
    Sadie & Rita (Forever in Our Hearts) (the Labbies)

Quote Originally Posted by doxielover959
    I love pitbulls. They are so beautiful and friendly! But one thing always goes through my mind when I think about them: are they born with their instinct to fight or are they trained to do that? Thanks to all that respond
    Some Pitties come from generations of fighting dogs. They will likely have some instinct to fight, or at least have the tendency to be dog aggressive. Dog aggression does run in the breed but like Jessika said, how they are raised plays a huge role (a greater role in my opinion). Dog aggression and human aggression should never be confused though.

Kai [Sheltie], Kaedyn [Sheltie], Keeva [Malinois], Kwik [Malinois]

Just wanted to add, what runs through my mind 95% of the time I see a pittie is "He looks like he wants a hug!"

Niņo & Eliza

American pit bull terriers were bred for generations, and generations to have that willingness and ability to fight...it is NOT trained into a dog.

Quote Originally Posted by Danegirl2208
    American pit bull terriers were bred for generations, and generations to have that willingness and ability to fight...it is NOT trained into a dog.
    I guess we will have to agree to disagree... I have met too many pitties from "fighting" lines that turn out to be absolute sweethearts... in the hands of the right and responsible owners.

I'm not shunning the fact altogether; try to get my Aussies to stop herding the cats and I'll beg to differ, but my point being is since I don't reinforce their herding instincts, it doesn't become problematic. RESPONSIBLE pit owners know their histories and know their instincts to know the proper environment to bring them up in as well as how to properly train and handle them, therefore I honestly and truly believe it is at least 90% in how they are trained and raised, and the environment they are raised in.

facebook

Quote Originally Posted by Jessika
    I guess we will have to agree to disagree... I have met too many pitties from "fighting" lines that turn out to be absolute sweethearts... in the hands of the right and responsible owners.

I'm not shunning the fact altogether; try to get my Aussies to stop herding the cats and I'll beg to differ, but my point being is since I don't reinforce their herding instincts, it doesn't become problematic. RESPONSIBLE pit owners know their histories and know their instincts to know the proper environment to bring them up in as well as how to properly train and handle them, therefore I honestly and truly believe it is at least 90% in how they are trained and raised, and the environment they are raised in.
    I didn't say pit bulls from fighting lines or even a pit bull that has been fought can't be a sweethearts. I have met many game bred pit bulls..and yes they were all sweethearts.

I am not putting down the breed in any way..this breed is my passion (right along with Danes). But we can not sugercoat the facts. I am in no way saying that every pit bull is always looking for a fight...and they were not bred to do so. They were bred to never back down from whatever task they are asked of..and in the case of fighting that trait is what made them the "perfect" in the ring.

Not every pit bull has that trait, nor is every pit bull dog aggressive. But it would be a mistake not to keep the breeds history in the back of your mind.

I say both. I know of a LOT of pitties that are good with other dogs there whole life, as where some can not be around other dogs at all.. Whether there genes are great or not. When someone gets one, have the impression that at about age 3.. Things sometimes change! No matter HOW Much you socialize them... or how you raise them. They were bred to be great Family pets however... if you have a Human aggressive one.. that is the owners fault more or less. This is IMO Of course. Pittie Stuff is always soo 2 sided though. :-)

pitbull mix

Hi,
    I have a dog that looks like a St. Bernard but acts like a pitbull. He is actually a mix. He turns a year old at the end of this month, but he is so hyper, any suggestions?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Darkcastle, he is adorable!
    don't breed or buy while shelter dogs die....

I have been frosted!

Thanks Kfamr for the signature!

Thanks, it's weird because he learns so fast he is just really stubborn. When he was little he whined a lot and now that he is older he whines even more. It's kinda funny it's like he is trying to communicate with me. lol When I say something to him if he doesn't like it he whines.... but all in all he is one of the smartest dogs I have ever owned. What kind do you have?

Your cutie definately looks like he could have some pittie in him. My brother's pittie is a big ol baby and extremely intelligent. Stubborn as a mule and loves to be loved. He sulks just like a kid when he doesn't get his way or has to do something he doesn't want to. Sounds a bit like your guy huh?

BTW...he is gorgeous! What is his name?

Michelle

My rainbow bridge babies have forever left their paw prints on my heart.
    Lilith & Vixen, taken too soon. I love you always.

Signatures, avatars & blinkies if anyone wants one pm me with color,
    font and background preference and with pics and names of pets.

Lilith's Catster Page Vixen's Catster Page

Vote for my furry ones on the cat & dog channels
    Vixen, Bella, Vega, Frost, Phoenix & Artica

Do you know for sure that he has Saint B in him?
    He just looks like a pit/lab.
    See ALL my pets here
    Dogs:Pixie.Shrek
    Cats:Milo.Duck.Hank.Molly.Zoe

R.I.P:Thunder.Rockee

His name is Bear, yes we know for sure because the daddy was a pure breed St. Bernard and his mommy a full breed Pitbull. He only got the looks of the st. Bernard. Droopy face and color and lots and lots of drool just like beetoven. lol but sometime when I look at him he looks like a pitbull too. But he def. acts more pitbullish! He is very rough in his play, and yes he loves to be loved! We have been trying to teach him walking easily on the leash but he is so strong but he's learning. When it comes to commands he does very well unless his stubborn side kicks in. lol
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Colleen3 110.jpg 
Views:	150 
Size:	593.8 KB 
ID:	39139   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1089.jpg 
Views:	153 
Size:	665.6 KB 
ID:	39140