Thread: Excessive puppy urination and thirst

Excessive puppy urination and thirst

Hi everyone! Its been a while since I posted. I last posted when my chocolate lab was a puppy, she's almost 2 now

Anyways...we brought home a brother for her last weekend! He's an adorable Boxer/Lab mix named Cosmo. Cosmo has been a great pup so far...he and Ruby ( the chocolate lab) are getting along great, he's active and happy. I have noticed though that he urinates constantly! Sometimes he doesn't even seem aware he's doing it. We're trying to paper train him but its very hard when hes peeing every 15 minutes. He's not straining or uncomfortable when peeing, and its usually a huge puddle. He hits the paper sometimes, but most times he just goes wherever he happens to be standing, with no sniffing or circling to indicate he has to go. He is a young pup- just turning 8 weeks old. His mom was a very young dog, the pregnancy was an 'accident' and she stopped caring for the pups when they were 4-5 weeks old. I'm also noticing he drinks a lot of water...I've read it may be a UTI or canine diabetes (I'm hoping it isn't). We have a Vet appointment on wednesday for his first shots and checkup and I'd like to know what this could be to ask for the right tests. Could he just have an immature bladder? Its a little stressful cleaning up accidents 30 times a day. Thanks for any advice you may have!
    Saving just one pet won't change the world...but, surely, the world will change for that one pet

UTI, diabetes, or kidney problems would be my big 3 for medical. If you can't get him in sooner, why not either confine him to a washable place or put a "male wrap" on him?

Glad to hear you already have a vet appt.

Please make sure they know that you are having the water drinking/peeing issues BEFORE your appt. Vet's schedule appts based on how much time they think they'll need and it sounds like they'll likely need a bit more time with your puppy than the standard 1st puppy visit. Don't be surprised if they don't do vaccinations that visit if your puppy is ill.

I hope it turns out to be something easily fixed and your puppy will be just fine.

RIP Dusty July 2 2007 RIP Sabrina June 16 2011 RIP Jack July 2 2013 RIP Bear July 5 2016 RIP Pooky June 23 2018. RIP Josh July 6 2019 RIP Cami January 6 2022

The puppy is much to young (at 8 weeks) to be housetrained yet. I'd
    make sure to keep him confined on a washable surface until you have
    time to watch him & begin the training process. Drinking excessive
    amounts of water would bother me more & I'm glad you got him a Vet
    office visit scheduled already. Best of luck at the Vet.
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Cosmo's urinalysis came back fine, and his exam showed no problems with his kidneys, bladder or urinary tract. The Vet thought his drinking may just be a water obsession- so there's not much we can do except watch his water consumption and try and control it a little.

At what point will he start to gain some control over his peeing? He doesn't 'act' like hes going to pee before he goes (circling, squatting) he just goes wherever hes standingso its impossible right now to get him outside in time. We're trying paper training while hes peeing so often (5 times in 20 minutes yesterday when he was playing on the deck) but its not going well. I realize hes very young (9 weeks old) but he seems to have a real aversion to going on the paper...he'll go all around it but not on it. We lavish praise on him if he lucks out and does hit paper...and when we catch him peeing elsewhere we gently say 'no', take him to the paper and tell him hes a good boy for peeing on the paper, while petting happily. What am I doing wrong? We trained our chocolate lab this way and it worked SO quickly! We've tried putting puppy pee pads down too, but he won't pee on them either. Thankfully I have an easily scrubbed floor in the room he occupies , I'm scrubbing it two or three times a day.
    Saving just one pet won't change the world...but, surely, the world will change for that one pet

Hi!
    My dog Tanner did that. We just had to wait it out. When I came home from dance lessons he'd greet me and pee. He still does it, when he is very excited! I have to greet him outside, where he can pee all he wants. I hope this helps a little!

[QUOTE=lizbud;2067984]The puppy is much to young (at 8 weeks) to be housetrained yet.

I must dissagree. I trained Tanner at 8 weeks, and by the time he was a month he could dance, sing, hi five, low five, beg, and shake. by the time he was a month and a few weeks he was fully potty trained. He never ripped up anything. Once he chewed on a piece of furniture while we were on vacation. And that was it.

At least for labs their bladders cant hold past 4 hours until they are 6 months old. I used the puppy pads when we first got Coco (beagle/lab mix) at 7 weeks old. It was within a month that I started taking him outside on a schedule to pee. He hasnt had very many accidents in the house. I can pretty much predict after playing, eating, if he is in crate for extended period of time (over 2 hrs) he will have to potty. He potty's at 11 p.m. off to bed, like clock work up at 3-4 a.m. to potty and eat. One time he slept from 11 p.m. to 6 a.m. dang, I ran into the living room where his crate is to make sure he was still breathing. I think the 4 felines roaming around at night wake/stir him up in the middle of the night. It's their refenge. LOL I think Stephen is the ring leader because the others are usually sleeping on our bed with us.
    Last edited by Craftlady; 10-06-2008 at 08:36 PM. Reason: added information
    Owned by my 8 precious furry kids... My 3 daughters Cindy & Abby & Aly and 5 sons Skinny, Stephen, Carson, Fuzzmuzz and Franklin.
    Owned by two special canine sons Coco and Snoopy and two canine daughters, Sadie and Gretchen

Always in our hearts RBButterscotch & RBThumper, RB Ms. Eleanor