Thread: Little Yorkie boy at the Humane Society.

Little Yorkie boy at the Humane Society.

As I said in another thread, we have been volunteering at the Humane Society since Hurricane Ike.. I forgot my camera again, but I did take pics of this little guy today with my cell phone.
    My moms friend is interested in adopting him if his family doesn't come and pick him up. She has been looking for a Morkie (Yorkie/Maltese), but after I told her about him she showed interest. I'm sorry to say this, but I hope his family doesn't come for him.. Anyone who would leave their dog alone to fend for itself during a Hurricane doesn't deserve to have their animal back.

These pics don't do him justice at all, he is very cute. Also, whoever cut his hair did a horrible job.

Here is a short, blurry video of him watching people in the parking lot.
    http://s395.photobucket.com/albums/p...925081658a.flv

Aww, he's a cutie. Keep in mind, maybe he was an "SKP" (escapee) when they were trying to evacuate. Many animals can get freaked out, so there is a chance the family is not 100% at fault ...

He is a cutie!!!!
    your right kind of a hack job on the hair cut but what does hair mean any ways. right?! He looks very sweet. Hopefully he is an escapee and his parents come to get him but if not, i hope he has a loving home. After everything the poor baby has been through its deserved. As well as all the others who are still waiting to be found or found homes.

Quote Originally Posted by molucass View Post
    I'm sorry to say this, but I hope his family doesn't come for him.. Anyone who would leave their dog alone to fend for itself during a Hurricane doesn't deserve to have their animal back.
    I'm sorry you feel that way. Although I disagree. Some people have no choice.

He is a cutie! I hope your mom's friend can adopt him...That way she wouldn't put the money into a designer mixed breed...It still stumps me hiow people WANT to spend so much on these little mutts.
    Owned by two little pastries!

REST IN PEACE GRACIE. NOT A DAY GOES BY THAT I DON'T MISS YOU.

Oh what a cutie! Around here, small dogs ALWAYS get adopted, and quite quickly as well.

I do hope his family locates him. I am guessing they must be extending the time when owners can claim their dogs before the pup is put up for adoption. That would make sense in such a situation.

And I can no longer make comments about "bad hair cuts," after what happened to my 4 last time in to the groomer's. My groomer phoned in sick (unknown to me), and a substitute came in. I am so glad it is only hair and will grow back!

Quote Originally Posted by Karen View Post
    Aww, he's a cutie. Keep in mind, maybe he was an "SKP" (escapee) when they were trying to evacuate. Many animals can get freaked out, so there is a chance the family is not 100% at fault ...
    That was my first thought too. He is a cutie for sure! I had to wait 8 days before I was free to adopt Ripley from the shelter as he was a stray. If this little guy has people out there I hope they hurry up. Either way, he will surely be adopted!

They are giving people until Monday, and then they are going to start adoptions.. They have been on 2-3 different TV stations, the radio, and a couple of websites.

To let people know that even if they were unable to come pick the animal up, as long as they could varify it was their pet through pictures, etc, they would either bring the animal to them, or find temporary placement for the pet for people who are unable to get them right now, but definitely want the pet back.

I understand sometimes people don't have a choice, because 211 (the transportation service) was turning people down if they did not have a "small crate", but there is alternatives.. And some people just blatently left their animals and basically didn't care if they were ok..

We rescued a dog in the neighborhood behind ours that was left when his family evacuated. He is a larger dog, and they also have a smaller min-pin mix.. The small dog was taken with them to evacuate, but the larger boy was not. He was sitting on the peoples porch in flood water with no food or clean water. We waited for the flood waters to go down, and gave him some food/water.. Then we fed him for 5 days there after and the family still didn't come home.. We brought him to the HS, and I left notes on the peoples door to let them know he is there. I have drove by their house several times, and they are home now.. Yet their poor dog still sits in the cage at the shelter.

There is groups of chihuahuas at the shelter that were swimming inside their homes that were rescued by volunteers at the Humane Society.. With one particular group, there was 2 others that had drowned before they could be rescued..

My opinion is, if you can't take your pets, you shouldn't evacuate either.. I know most people don't hold their animals to the same regard as their own safety, but these dogs/cats didn't ask to live with you.. So I think its your job to do everything you can to protect them.