Thread: Something is wrong with Oliver

Something is wrong with Oliver

Hi everyone,

Okay, this is kind of a long story but about a month ago Oliver started to pee outside the litter box. I took him into the vet and we got 2 weeks of antibiotics and that seemed to clear things up. But within 36 hours he pee'd in the bathtub, so we figured that the infection was not cleared up and he got 2 more weeks of antibiotics. He finished them last week and I took in him on Friday and there did not appear to be any infection in the ultrasound or urinalysis.

Now fast forward a couple of days and last night he pee'd in the sink. He just looked sooooooooooo miserable when he was doing thing But I had antibiotics available (because I have a URI going through the young ones), so I started him on the antibiotics again last night. This morning I heard someone excessively scratching when they were in the litter box, so I went to take a look and it was Oliver. Unfortunately this time I found fresh blood (bright red) in his stool.

I have phoned the vet and left a message for her to give me a call back and I have Oliver's stool sample in my car (so if someone breaks into my car today they will get a real surprise ). But I am not sure what the problem is now. I am afraid that I will have to have a GI scope done on him and I am not sure the results would be good...

This is Oliver

Prays being sent for Oliver and I hope the vet can find out what's wrong and hopefully the vet won't have to run too many more tests on Oliver.

Oliver sure looks like a cutie!!! Maybe he has developed IBS. Hopegully something will be found in the stool sample. I am glad to see I am not the only person who has stored a stool sample in the car!!! Good luck with your boy!
    Nine is Fine!!

{{{{hugs}}}} and prayers that the vet will find the answer in the sample, and that Oliver will be well and happy soon.
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

It is so stressful when our babies are sick and we don't know what's wrong. I can sympathize since I'm going through something "unknown" with Taz right now too.
    I hope the vet can figure out what is wrong with Oliver so he can get on the road to recovery.
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

Keep in mind that fresh red bright blood indicates it is not from the digestive system but from the mucous membranes in the intestine. This is much better. It could be that he has a crystal or something which is causing a lot of irritation in his bladder and urinary tract which is just upsetting his whole digestive system and causing the small intestine to spasm more which then is irritated and can bleed easily. Or he just had a hard, large bowel movement which tore the membrane a bit and it bled. I don't think you said whether the stool was hard or soft.

It is when the blood is dark and makes the stool very dark and "tarry" and stanky that you panic more. Then it is from the GI system.

Prayers for your sweet boy and I hope he is feeling better soon.

The blood is bright red and the stool is "standard issue", so you are correct in that it is coming from the lower intestine or rectum area. When he had the infection he had crystals, but they disappeared after a month of antibiotics and the vet didn't see anything last week when she looked.

I don't think that it is IBD, because one of the other cats (Tanner) has IBD so I converted everyone's diet over to something he could he (it saves on the hassle factor).

The vet still has not phoned, but I also know that she does surgery in the mornings so it may depend on when she finishes everything before I can talk with her.

I hate it when our babies get sick. I am praying for Oliver and you. Keep us updated.
    There is no such thing as failure, just learning experiences.

THATS THE WORST FEELING IN THE WORLD WHEN OUR PETS ARE NOTWELL , AND WE ARE SENDIING OUR RAYERS FOR OWESOME OLIVER, THAT YOU CAN FIND OUT WHATS AILING YOUR DEAR FRIEND.
    THE RAINBOW BRIDGE FOUND HOTEL ANGELS HAVE A NEW FRIEND IN CORINNA.

ALMOND ROCCA BATON AND ELLIE ANGELS ARE GUARDIANS TO ETERNAL KITTENS ROCC-EL AND T TEEN ANGEL, ALMOND ROCA , VLAD , PAWLEE , SPRITE. LITTLE HEX, OSIRIS AND ANNIE ANGELS.
    EBONY BEAU TUBSTER AND PEACHES BW SPIKE & SMOKEY

NOW PRECIOUS AND SAM ARE TOGETHER WITH ETERNAL KITTENS SAMMY ,PRESLEY, SYLVESTER AND SCRATCHY JR , MIGHTY MARINA, COSMIC CARMEN, SAMSON ,UNDER KITTY AND SUNKIST AUTUMN & PUMPKIN.
    MIA AND ORANGE BLOSSOM ANGELS HAVE ADOPTED TUXIE , TROOPER , SONGBIRD AND LITTLE BITTY KITTIES MIA-MI BLOSSOMER, TUXEDO AND DASH AS THIER ETERNAL KITTENS.
    PRINCESS JOSEPH AND MICHAEL ARE CELEBRATING 19 YEARS AS LUCKY FOUND CATS

Well we just got back from the vet and it seems that Oliver may have some unidentified type of infection. We took a slide and sent it off for cytology reports (someone to look at the slide). We don't even know whether it is bacterial or fungal, so right now the poor guy is still on Clavamox and subQ fluids until we have a better idea of what is happening

Aw, poor Oliver. Prayers on the way for you both.
    No matter what anyone does, someone some where will be offended some how!!!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    MY BLESSINGS:
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Grandma (RB), Chester, Angel, Chip

Leonardo (RB), Luke (RB), Winnie, Chuck,

Frankie

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    WHERE YOU ARE IS WHERE YOU ARE SUPPOSED TO BE!!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I hope you get results quickly so Oliver can get on the right stuff and get better soon!

Ask your vet about acidophilus/bifidus tablets to put the good germs back in Oliver's digestive tract...that might help with healing too.

HUGS to that beautiful boy!
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda