Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: For all pet owners...

Netherlands (where I'm from) & Germany (where I live)
    Definately C.

We know that there are huge bills coming our way with Eddy, and we have a special saving account for the pets where we put some money in every month. Just in case, so that we have a certain amount ready without worrying too much.

But I agree with Piglet and Niina too. When I was a student and my cats were sick and needed treatment, I always struggled to pay the vet bills. And credit cards aren't even accepted here at the vet.

It's C for me too.
    I don't say this as a possibility in the future but as something I've done already. When my second Golden, Irina, got sick, and she was sick from November'92 to June'93, I did everything that could possibly be done for her at the cost of several thousand dollars, and I didn't have pet insurance at the time.
    I would cut back on any other expenses if that would help my dogs. But, on the other hand, I would not keep them with me if I knew they were suffering.
    It's also true that some people, no matter how much they love their pets, just can't afford those vet's bills. I have seen and heard many heartbreaking stories about that.

"All men are created equal but none of them is equal to a dog." From the "Howard Huge" cartoon..

When I realized how much I spent to give my precious Kaycee a chance at a good, comfortable life, I was astounded, but I have to tell you that every dime was worth it. Thank goodness it was over an 11 month period, so it didn't hit me all at once, but when it was over, it added up to thousands of dollars. And I know that there are many who simply can't afford expensive surgeries and emergency treatments. I feel so badly for those people when I read their stories. Thank goodness there are wonderful organizations who use donations from people to help those folks who want to do right, but just can't afford it. Just wish there was an endless supply of $$$$ for everyone.

I vote C, too.

I have to vote C.
    We do have insurance on all three cats - but other cats in the past have cost us serious ££££££.
    With our RB - Kisi, the insurance covered all the medical except the first £80 - but when we had to have her put to sleep - we had to pay for that. Even if she wasn't insured I'd have done exactly the same - and paid for it all.

Lynne

Originally posted by Aspen and Misty
    C
    I knwo this isn't alot but every week 8 doallrs gets put into a bank acount of mine. (my dad ptus it in there). The money will not be spent unless one of the pets needs it for a bill. I started it in the middle of last year, when I found out I would be getting a dog. I odn't have alot in there but it is some money .

Ash

ps: This isn't alot of money but we payed 30 dollars for a vet apointment for hope. Which to my mom is just a 5 dollar rat.
    This is a great idea, and I'm glad you're parents are doing this. They are really saying that it's your pet, you are responsible for it. I'm sure they would help out if costs were more than what was in your account, but it seems they are teaching you how to be a responsible pet owner instead of just taking care of everything themselves.

Oh, and I actually got to put my words into action when I took Tubby to the vet the other day. All they did was a blood test and he got a distemper shot, and the bill came to $190.00!!!! After I looked at the bill, it turns out they didn't even charge me for an office visit, which is normally another $35.00. But now I know he's ok, so it was worth it.
    Tubby
    Spring 1986 - Dec. 11, 2004
    RIP Big Boy
    -----------
    Peanut
    Fall 1988 - Jan. 24, 2007
    RIP Snotty Girl
    -----------
    Robin
    Fall 1997 - Oct. 6, 2012
    RIP Sweet Monkeyhead Girl

I go for C ...... i'll do anything for my doggies.
    ~eLLeN~

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." ~~Anatole France~~

Before I got Chewy I asked my parents if they would pay a vet bill if chewy got hit by a car had 2 fractured rids a broken leg and a hospital stay for 4 days all adding up to 4 thousand doallrs (I dunno if thats right but you get the idea) they said they would. I didn't want to get a dog if my paretns were not going to be willing to pay the vet bill if something went wrong.
    The exact opposite with me. My parents said I have to pay all of the vet bills. I've probably spent over $150 already....he was sick once, had an eye infection, then all of the regular shots he needed.... I'm going to be getting him neutered very soon too. Luckily, we have a program where you can apply for discount/spay neuter coupons. I applied and I was able to get get a $20 off one for Nebo and Milo (Melissa's cat). Phew! Right now, if there was something seriously wrong with Nebo, I would be seriously screwed. I don't have enough money (literally!) to pay for a very high vet bill. My dad always calls him his adopted red-headed grandchild though...lol...so maybe they love him enough now they would help me. If not, I don't know what I would do...but I would do whatever was humanly possible...

I would do anything and have. Tango had cancer this summer, costs me $300.00 for tests, and surgery. I would do it again in a heartbeat. I would take out loans if I had to.

My answer is "C"...there isn't anything I wouldn't do for them, they count on us for their health, happiness and survival.
    ...RIP, our sweet Gini...

My answer is C.

For Killian, it is presently over 5000 since we adopted him in 1996.

As it was also over 1000's for both my precious Bridgepups, Wolf and Avalanche.
    Save a life, ADOPT!!
    Sue

Rainbow Bridge Angels: Thor, Shiloh and Killian, Avalanche and Wolf
    (RB Gaylord and Bandit, fosters who have touched my heart)

wow!

you guys are some serious pet owners. its so good to see such wonderful people out there that care!
    ~me

twitter.
    http://twitter.com/meganxxjo

now she's slowly opening
    new eyes.

My answer is also C...

I'll do anything for Missy... Can't imagine my life without her...

My answer is also C. I'd do anything possible for my cats. Last year when Pepper was very sick I spent a few thousand on him and it was worth it. Now I see how happy and healthy he is each day and I don't even think about the money.

Pet Health Insurance

Something I don't have, but plan to get soon as she is getting older. I guess I would say "C", funds allowing, but I also have to be realistic like Niina, if it were to be a very high bill. I have put out some serious change inthe past for Grasshopper, but fortunately she is a healthy 16 year old. Knock on wood.
    Spencer's Mom

Grasshopper Shadowcat Magicat
    August 14, 1986 - June 15 2004
    Thank you so much for the siggies, PCB & Kfamr

* * I've Been Frosted * *

It all depends...

1. Obviously on the quality of life. I once opted to have my cat put to sleep rather than have her go through exploratory surgery when she was very sick. I didn't think she had much of a chance of pulling through and I didn't want her to suffer. (and I cried for a week afterwards)

2. On my current financial situation. Right now both my husband and I are employed (which is a very nifty thing to be here in Oregon), and would be able to absorb the expense.

3. I dearly love and adore my cats, but my parents are getting on in years, and I would take care of them first before my cats.

So, like I said at the beginning, it depends. You sometimes don't know until it happens.