Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: German Shepherd mix found on street in Queens

German Shepherd mix found on street in Queens

Yesterday a German Shepherd mix dog was found on my block in Queens, NYC. We didn't know what to do with him so we brought him to the Center for Animal Care and Control in Manhattan, as it was the only place open. I was told that they hold the dog for 48 hrs to see if anyone claims him, and if not he's evaluated for adoption and if they deem him adoptable, he's put up for adoption. They said that he looked adobtable, cause he seemed to have a sweet personality.

Since then, I've made some flyers to put up in my neighborhood and sent an email to about 40 work associates, friends and family. Two animal experts responded that the CACC is a horrible facility which routinely kills their animals, sometimes before the allotted time, and that they are inhumane and the dogs are not treated well. I am very upset by this news.

I then contacted the North Shore Animal League to see what they could do and they said that most of the no-kill facilities are full to the brim and can't accept mixed breed, adult dogs.

We named the dog Tawny. The CACC approximated his age as 2 1/2 yrs old. They said he's in good health except for some loss of hair and tartar on his teeth.

He seemed really sweet and gentle, displaying no aggression even though he was scared.

We already have a dog in a 1BR apt, and honestly I'm scared to take in a strange dog. What if he winds up being aggressive, unstable or sick. My dog's already had mange and I'm nervous about her health. I'm just not really a dog person by nature, although more than I used to be. Also, I'm afraid my landlord would be furious, as I'm not supposed to have dogs in the first place.

Does anyone have any advice?

Thank you very much.
    Tania, Mugsy's Mom
    English/American Bulldog

I am going to try to post a picture.
    Tania, Mugsy's Mom
    English/American Bulldog

Let's try that again.
    Tania, Mugsy's Mom
    English/American Bulldog

sorry for the lack of picture; i needed some technical help, hopefully this will work.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Tania, Mugsy's Mom
    English/American Bulldog

Oh, he's SO sweet!!!! What a precious face; he looks so "lost." It sounds like you are doing everything possible to help him find a home. But now that he's at the shelter, I'm not sure what else you can as he is under their care now. I'm so worried that this beautiful girl will be PTS!!! Posting the flyers is a great idea as are the emails. Maybe he is lost and his family will see them??? I wish you could get him into a foster home!!! He looks so gentle. Do you have any friends that could keep him while you look for a home? I'm not sure if GSD rescue groups take in mixes. If you could somehow get him into a foster home you post him as up for a adoption on several pet sites such www.petfinder.org On Petfinder you can place a "classified" ad. Did you try any of the no skill shelters in NJ? CLAWS, in Closter (Bergen County) might be able to help. I have adopted from them and they are a wonderful group. www.claws.com This is so heartbreaking!!! Try if you can to get him out of the shelter and into temporary housing. This boy is so precious. I'll try and think of some more suggestions
    Last edited by tatsxxx11; 09-09-2002 at 06:21 PM.

Star,Tigg'r , Mollie and the10 Gallon Gang!

And my Rainbow Bridge Furangels...Jingles, Cody, Fritz, Chessa, Satin, Buddy, Lizzie, Oliver, Squeaker, Moonbeam, Rosie, Ruby~

Thank you very much for your suggestions. I appreciate them. He was very sweet. I don't know how to go about finding a foster home for him, nor do I know if the CACC will let me take him back to put him in a foster home. He'd probably have to stay with us. After hearing the horrible stuff about the CACC, I'm concerned I couldn't even trust their assessment of his health/temperament. I would only be able to consider taking him in if I felt he was healthy and stable (and even that would be very difficult). Well, I'm off to post the flyers and thanks again. If anyone else has any ideas, please let me know.
    Tania, Mugsy's Mom
    English/American Bulldog

Shelter in Bergen County, NJ

Hi,

I would try the Bergen County Animal Shelter in Teterboro--its about 10 minutes from the George Washington Bridge--their number is 201-646-3200 or 201-646-3565....please give it a try.

Tawny looks so sweet! He is so handsome too.

It breaks my heart to know that he may not survive in that shelter. I am sure they won't just give him to you, but you could adopt him and then put him into a foster home.

Please update us on Twany's situation.

Unfortunately, we are unable to adopt Tawny. We’ve got two people and a dog in a 1 BR apartment that doesn’t allow dogs. We don’t have the ability to care for Tawny at our apartment. Nor am I comfortable taking in a strange dog; I must admit it. In time that may not be the case, but for now it is.

The CACC said he looks adoptable and one of the negative reports I got about the CACC was that out of the 60,000 animals they take in, 40,000 never make it out. That sounds horrible. But that means 1 in 3 does make it out. I hope and pray that Tawny is one of them.

As for having a friend take him in, I already sent a long email to all friends that might be able to and no one is. I am going to try to list him on a couple more sites/rescue groups. Thank you for your suggestions. I’ve left msgs for Claws and Bergen County Animal Shelter in Teterboro.

My husband and I feel we’ve done what we can for this poor dog. I am going to continue to do what I can. However, if I don’t work today (I spent all day yesterday sending emails/talking to people about Tawny, doing research, and making and posting flyers), I am going to get in big trouble at my job, which I cannot afford.

I feel so blessed to have a wonderful dog, who we love so much, and wish everyone was as devoted to their pet as the wonderful people on this site are.

This has been a horrible eye-opener as to the plight of unwanted animals. It is such a shame. I do believe when the time is right, I will adopt from an animal shelter. I'm so much more comfortable with dogs than I used to be. But I would still need an animal where something is known about its background.

Here is Tawny's info:
    Tawny is currently at
    Center for Animal Care and Control
    Manhattan Shelter
    326 East 110th St, btw 1-2nd Ave.
    NY NY 10029
    (212) 722-3620 ext. 226 or ext. 0
    Please reference dog # 468 664
    Tania, Mugsy's Mom
    English/American Bulldog

Well, now that my boss has left, I'm back on the prowl. This is a new world, but as with most things, the web is a great place to start. Petfinder has a lot of listings of NYC shelters and so far I've called PetICare and Stray From The Heart, who both do rescues. They both seem very good to me. I am going to keep looking for more.

They've encouraged me to keep in touch with the CACC to let them know I'm trying to find someone to adopt Tawny (which I had already done). I asked if they had done his evaluation yet and they said not yet, but he seems "nervous." Of course, he's nervous! Poor thing. Hopefully I will get him into a better shelter.

Even though I am nervous around animals that I don't know, obviously there are lots of great dogs who have been abandoned by heartless owners. I think that is the case with Tawny.

Thank God for the devoted people who help these poor undeserving animals.
    Tania, Mugsy's Mom
    English/American Bulldog

Or maybe try this

You could also try New Yorkers for Companion Animals

AWL told me Killian was "nervous", too. Maybe he was in the shelter, not anymore. Good luck on finding him a safe place to go!
    Save a life, ADOPT!!
    Sue

Rainbow Bridge Angels: Thor, Shiloh and Killian, Avalanche and Wolf
    (RB Gaylord and Bandit, fosters who have touched my heart)

I spoke with New Yorkers for Companion Animals. Thank you for the suggestion; she had a lot of info. She said the situation is tough in NY, b/c (1) people are looking for small dogs (2) lack of pet friendly housing and (3) we don't have any background info on the dog.

She said that if she knew how he behaved in a house, that could possibly help. Without that, she's reluctant to even place him in foster housing (assuming we can even help get him out of the CACC). She said that the fact that he did not become at all aggressive, even though he was scared, tells her that he is probably a gentle dog.

I gave her Tawny's # and she is going to see what she can do. She said a lot is dependent on what classification they gave on his temperment. 1,2,3 T (temperment) is ok, 4 or 5 means they can't release the dog. She said a lot of nice animals get 4 or 5 b/c of the rough treatment there.

A girl I work with is going to look at Tawny. Perhaps she'll be able to foster him. I've called the CACC to let them know she's coming. They haven't done Tawny's evaluation yet. If someone is interested in adopting him, they'll do it quicker, so I left I msg for the girl going to see him, to ask them to do it. Also, the woman from New Yorkers for Companion Animals said CACC doesn't release dogs to be fostered, so if someone is going that route they have to say they are adopting him, not fostering him.

I asked the woman at CACC to put in Tawny's file that I am working on trying to find someone to adopt him. Unfortunately, she can't agree to let me know before they would put him to sleep. I so hope that doesn't happen.

I heard back from Bergen County Animal Shelter in Teterboro, and she said they are not a no-kill shelter, so didn't seem able to help. I am going to call back some of the places I left msgs for yesterday if I don't hear from them. I also called Animal Haven, which is in Queens, but they are full.
    Tania, Mugsy's Mom
    English/American Bulldog

I think the girl from my office is going to adopt Tawny! Isn't that incredible! She is a true animal lover! She lives in a house in Jersey. She just has to fix one side of her fence.

She has 2 cats and a bunny. We are going to give her our crate, so she can keep Tawny crated when she's not around to monitor him with the other animals (until she has ample chance to observe them). Does anyone have any advice about that process? Her cats are old-14 and 16.

Thanks everyone!
    Tania, Mugsy's Mom
    English/American Bulldog

She called to let them know she wanted to adopt him and they've told her someone else already did. We're a little confused how that could have happened so fast...will find out more tomorrow.
    Tania, Mugsy's Mom
    English/American Bulldog