Thread: Old dog question

Old dog question

Our 14 year old dalmatian was always a house dog...she liked it outside but when she was inside, she liked that, too. Even before we got Boomer, she got to where she would be almost nervous in the house.....always wanting to go outside. Now she just wants outside all of the time....we have to make her come inside usually. Then, even when she wants to come inside, she is a nervous nelly and wants outside again within about 30 minutes or so...She doesn't have to deal with Boomer as we keep them pretty much separated by a doggie gate when they are in the house. I have heard other people tell me their older dogs got to where they preferred to be out of doors, too.....has anyone else experienced this? In all honesty, she is probably getting more stimulation outside with the birds, squirrels, and various other things to look at and listen to. Just wondering if this was half way normal...she is pretty healthy otherwise.....just a little weak in her back legs if she stands for a long time.
    Shannon, Boomer, and Sooner

I wonder if she's having vision trouble and outside has brighter light, and the shadows inside scare her?

Never ran into this with our old dogs, sorry I cannot help.

Our dogs are inside, we have a small front yard with a concrete patio. When he got older, Jake did prefer to be out more than he had when he was younger, I think some of it was that he preferred the cool concrete (as even inside he would usually hang out on the tile rather than the wood or carpet). Maybe he feels his yard/patio is more "his" and the inside is more "ours"?

Jakes mom

Yes, I know she is enjoying the somewhat cooler weather....I also know that she seems to enjoy being in the grass....I'm sure it is cool! Thanks!!!

My old dog stopped sleeping on his comfy dog bed next to our bed, where he had slept for thirteen years, and starting sleeping on the floor in front of the fan. I tried moving his bed, buying him different beds, moving the fan, etc. No, he just wanted to sleep on the floor in front of the fan. I think their temperature regulation changes as they age, maybe.

This is just a guess, but I have wondered too about old dogs wanting to be outside more because they have less control over their bodily functions. Maybe they always feel like they have to urinate, and can't hold it very long, so they feel nervous in the house, not wanting to have an accident.

I think too, as their hearing and sight become less sharp, perhaps they are nervous due to being startled by all the activity going on in a house. I know I have come up behind Keito recently when he has been asleep and scared him. He didn't hear me.
    "We give dogs the time we can spare, the space we can spare and the love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made" - M. Facklam

"We are raised to honor all the wrong explorers and discoverers - thieves planting flags, murderers carrying crosses. Let us at last praise the colonizers of dreams."- P.S. Beagle

"All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost. From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king." - J.R.R. Tolkien

I think all of your answers are great!! From the poor eyesight to the bodily function issue......I think it is a little bit of everything....Thanks so much for all of your responses. They have given me some peace of mind that Cassie doesn't hate us now that we have Boomer and that we haven't done anything wrong, either.....