Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bonnie, getting better.

Bonnie, getting better.

Bonnie is the 3rd cat I have with stomatitis. Well, she had her dental today. It was VERY hard on her. Every last tooth needed to be removed, and they did not go peacfully.

The problem with cats with stomatitis, is that the teeth themselves are still good! It is the gums that are affected. the allergic reaction causes severe swelling and sometimes infection. AND the teeth actual begin to fuse to the bone, making removal 10 times harder than removing teeth from a cat with tooth rot or tarter.

So after all the poking, prodding and hammering, twisting and digging, on the very last tooth, a small pre-molar, her jaw cracked.

So she is now awake, but very mad, bleeding and drooling, and despite pain meds, I know she's got pain.

I feel so badly for her that I could cry.
    Last edited by jenluckenbach; 09-29-2008 at 11:46 AM.

OMG! That's awful! Poor girl, Bonnie. I'm so sorry. Many heartfelt prayers going up for Bonnie tonight and you, too, Jen.
    Blessings,
    Mary

"Time and unforeseen occurrence befall us all." Ecclesiastes 9:11

Oh sweetie, poor Bonnie. Give her a big kiss from me. Tell her we know it hurts now, but it will hurt less every day, and after it heals, will never bother her again. Sending you a hug, too, momma Jenny!

OMG, poor Bonnie. What an ordeal. I am so sorry that she has to go through this pain. Did the vet give you any type of pain medicine? Anything to make her reasonably comfortable? Did they say how long it will take for her jaw to heal and whether or not this is going to effect her ability to eat? My heart goes out to you both, because this is definitely very difficult for the both of you. The only help I can provide is make sure sweet Bonnie has a comfortable, safe, place in which she feels comfortable, to hide. I have a little bed made under my bed for sydney, which has a soft blanket, and a food and water dish. She does alot better hiding under there, because it comforts her. Bonnie is going to be upset for a while, but cats gain great comfort from knowing that their loved ones are around. Make sure to check on her often, so she knows you are there. As for you, dont be too hard on your self. These things happen, unfortunately, but you are doing the best job you can to make her comfortable. I hope Bonnie feels better really soon.
    Sincerely,
    Kat

Rest in Peace Baby, Hercules, and Sydney - If love could have saved you, you both would have lived forever!

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." ~Ghandi

I'VE BEEN BOO'D!

She had a pain injection and has pills for the next 5 days. Of course the pills are going to be very difficult to get in her.

He jaw has stiched in it to hold the part that cracked together. I understand they heal rather well, but just the thought . And even though I expect blood and bleeding, I fear I won't know how much is too much.

I am keeping her alone in the cat room tonight. Mostly so she doesn't fall on the stairs. and also so no one will pick on her. I made her a bed inside a little "cubby hole" cat condo.

I just feel so bad.......but the truth is, this was SO necessary, and once the healing is done she won't have the pain she experiences every time she flairs up. Hopefully no more depo shots every 4 weeks.

My next biggest worry, after her discomfort, is that she MUST eat canned food for several weeks, and she doesn't LIKE canned food. SIGH

Quote Originally Posted by jenluckenbach View Post
    She had a pain injection and has pills for the next 5 days. Of course the pills are going to be very difficult to get in her.

He jaw has stiched in it to hold the part that cracked together. I understand they heal rather well, but just the thought . And even though I expect blood and bleeding, I fear I won't know how much is too much.

I am keeping her alone in the cat room tonight. Mostly so she doesn't fall on the stairs. and also so no one will pick on her. I made her a bed inside a little "cubby hole" cat condo.

I just feel so bad.......but the truth is, this was SO necessary, and once the healing is done she won't have the pain she experiences every time she flairs up. Hopefully no more depo shots every 4 weeks.

My next biggest worry, after her discomfort, is that she MUST eat canned food for several weeks, and she doesn't LIKE canned food. SIGH
    Hopefully the pain meds will make her more comfortable. This way, she is not in that much pain. It was a great idea to keep her segregated, so that she can focus on healing. Just like it was said before, everyday this will get better and because it was SO needed, her quality of life will be so much better. Later, when eating the canned food occurs, if she has an appetite she should eat it. If she has no other choice, her hunger will win over. There are so many different types of canned cat foods, I am sure there must be one she is interested in. I know that Sydney used to love the pouches i with the gravy because it looks like big delicious chunks of juicy meat. Good luck Jen, I will be thinking of you both! Keep us updated!
    Sincerely,
    Kat

Rest in Peace Baby, Hercules, and Sydney - If love could have saved you, you both would have lived forever!

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." ~Ghandi

I'VE BEEN BOO'D!

If you see blood in the mouth, wet a tea bag and place it in cats mouth & hold it there for as long as cat will tolerate. Tea bags stop bleeding.

Dental trick used for humans
    Owned by my 8 precious furry kids... My 3 daughters Cindy & Abby & Aly and 5 sons Skinny, Stephen, Carson, Fuzzmuzz and Franklin.
    Owned by two special canine sons Coco and Snoopy and two canine daughters, Sadie and Gretchen

Always in our hearts RBButterscotch & RBThumper, RB Ms. Eleanor

That just breaks my heart! Poor Bonnie dear.

Oh Jen, we are so sorry you and Bonnie are going through this difficult time. We will say some extra prayers for the two of you.

AW NOO!

Jen, this is just heartbreaking! Could the vet not give you pain patches instead of pills? Easier on you and Bonnie both...

Very gentle {{hugs}} to Bonnie...maybe if you mix the wet food with warm water, she will lap it up. There's always chicken baby food, too.

POOR girl - wishing her fast healing.
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

Jen, speaking as someone who has had surgery on her jaw several times, if possible, can you raise her food dish up a little so that she doesn't have to bend her head down to eat? I know, cats eat differently from humans and it would be unnatural to have her raise her head up to eat but the pressure of bending over is very painful. After each of my surgeries, my surgeon made a point of insisting that I not bend over for several days. (My first thought was "How do I clean the litter boxes?!") It also kept the bleeding to a minumum. I sure hope the pain meds help her a lot but, if she doesn't want to eat for a little while, it certainly will be understandable.
    Blessings,
    Mary

"Time and unforeseen occurrence befall us all." Ecclesiastes 9:11

Smudge was never a fan of canned food until I tried Newman's Own Organic Chicken and Salmon. Even with all his meds mixed in, he eats it nearly every time. I also mix in some Kitty Kaviar treat flakes (dried bonito) - it's nice and smelly!

Be well, sweet Bonnie. From here it'll only get better.

Love, Columbine

Bonnie must be in an awful lot of pain. I hope that each day it gets less and less and the pain meds won't be too difficult to administer. That pain patch idea of Candace's might be a good solution if you're having trouble getting the tablets in her. Prayers that she will be on the mend ASAP!

Awe... poor Bonnie! I can't imagine her trying to figure out why her jaw and her mouth hurts so much! So they actually stitched her jaw together where it broke? wow. I was wondering if they would have to wire it shut like they do humans. That would be horrendous for an animal.

Would Bonnie like baby food rather than the canned cat food?? Maybe she'd like some of the EVO 95% meat canned food. My guys liked the chicken and turkey (even those who don't normally eat canned food). They didn't like the beef and liver however.

Will be keeping you and your kitties in my thoughts!

I work tomorrow night... do you do your shopping in the morning/afternoon, or in the evenings? Have some good customer stories for ya too, and a secret admirer.... (and you'll be glad why I didn't respond to him!)

Bonnie, as expected, did not eat ths morning. But I got her pain med in her with very little problems. And I did not see any bleeding.

One day at a time.