Thread: Keva's grand adventure

Keva's grand adventure

Keva was one NAW-TEE dog tonight! We (my mom with Syd and me with Nebo and Keva, Skya stayed home, she's too young for hiking) went for a hike tonight. We just went on one of our usual trails just a few minutes from my house. We didn't leave until after 6, by the time we were heading back it was close to 7:30.

We had passed two guys on horses close to when we started back, the horses were on their way down. I held the dogs and waited off to the side but the dogs really weren't freaking out or anything. Anyway I just mentioned that because that's the only reason I can think of for the trick Keva pulled. After we started back down Keva was really being a pain with pulling. She's never wonderful on leash but she's not usually that bad. The trail is really steep in parts and mostly covered in shale rocks and dirt, its slippery. It's hard to handle two big dogs going down especially when one is pulling like that.

We ended up switching dogs, Nebo and Syd were being good so I put them on the coupler together and my mom took Keva (she volunteered...and usually Keva isn't that bad when its just her). We got to an area that was really steep and my mom couldn't get down with Keva too so we did something that I guess now was really stupid but I've done it a lot when hiking and never had a problem.

The trail is narrow and there's a steep incline on one side and it slopes down on the other side with lots of bushes on both sides, so there's really only one way to go...down the trail. So I went to the bottom of the steep part (not that far, maybe 20 feet or something) with Nebo and Syd, my mom waited at the top with Keva until I was ready, then let her go so she could come to me. I've used this trick many many times and the dogs always just come right to me and I grab them, they've never tried to slip past.

Well I think you can guess what happened next. Keva came barreling down and I went to grab her and she just went right past me and kept on running. She is one fast dog too! I think she was on a mission to get another look at the horses or something...I don't know but she was just booking it down the mountain. I'm not sure how my mom and I made it running after her without killing ourselves...big drop off on one side, slippery rocks...running...not a good combination. The little sh*t stopped a couple of times and looked back to make sure I was still coming then bolted again.

I know chasing her is completely the wrong method to catch her but I had no choice, she wasn't stopping to give me a chance to entice her with something and if I hadn't of ran after her I couldn't have kept her in my sight. It was starting to get dark and there's lots of trees, easy to lose sight of a dog up there.

Poor Syd couldn't keep up and was getting dragged, she ended up pulling out of her harness...I didn't stop, but I knew my mom was on her way behind me and Syd is good so I wasn't too concerned. When my mom found Syd she thought I had tied her to a tree or something, she was just sitting there good as gold waiting for my mom to get her.

Ugh anyway, I'm of course screaming her name like an idiot, about ready to burst into tears...I had lost Syd at this point, and lost sight of Keva...went round a bend to this area in the pines that we have often stopped at for lunch. There's a stream that runs along the trail and its deeper in that area, the dogs like to stop there to wade around. There she was, standing in the water, getting a drink. I called her to me and she came right over, just like nothing had happened.

I think she's trying to get me to match her fur color...she thinks I need gray hair too, they'll be popping up soon if she keeps freaking me out like that! I know she's a good hunter but I don't think she'd make it as Keva of the Forest for long.

*Edit...great I just found a gash on her back leg, probably caught herself on something running down the trail. I'm keeping an eye on it, its not really bleeding but its rather nasty looking ...may end up at the vet tomorrow if it doesn't look better in the morning. :/

You bad girl Keva! Seriously though I am glad she came back to you and Sydney, too. I bet she's grounded now, huh?
    Krista- owned by Rudy, Dixie, Miagi & Angel

Rocky, Jenny, Ginger Buster & Tiger .. forever loved & always in my heart..

WOW. I'm so glad you caught her. Sweet girl, your mom loves you to much for you to get lost. I'm glad Sid was such a good girl and waited for your mom.

Ashley
    Dogs: Nova, Konnor and Sitka

What a horror story!!! Bad girl Keva!!! Behave yourself from now on and don't upset Mom!!

I've been Boo'd...
    Thanks Barry!

Keva, Keva, Keva. That's not a very nice thing to do to your mommy and gramma. And now you've got an ouchie. I hope you learned your lesson and won't give mommy any grey hairs. She's much too young for that.
    Now you be a good girl and give your mom lots of kisses to make up for misbehavin.
    Luckily Skya wasn't with you, she could pick up your not-so-good habits young lady!!

But seriously, I'm glad things turned out well, despite the sore on the leg.
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

Wow! I would've had a heart attack and NOT survive that ordeal!
    You're the one sure thing I've found so you better stick around...
    Best Fireman in da House´10
    dedicated to the kindest,loveliest and always helpful man that one would be honored and proud to know........R.I.P. Dear Phred

Just HOW DO YOU solve a problem like Maria?
    Oh Keva don't you know that you aren't supposed to freak your mom out like that?

Glad you were able to get her back safe and sound Amy.
    Goonies never say die!

Thanks Amy for the great sig!

Don'cha jus LUV 'em?

OMG!

Quote Originally Posted by wolf_Q View Post

Keva was one NAW-TEE dog tonight!

Keva came barreling down and I went to grab her and
    she just went right past me and kept on running.
    She is one fast dog too!

The little sh*t stopped a couple of times and looked back
    to make sure I was still coming, then bolted again.

I know she's a good hunter,
    but I don't think she'd make it as Keva of the Forest for long.
    < gasp >

Nothing like a little 'excitement' to liven up an evening hike, huh?

And what seems like a Great Idea at the time sure can go to heck in a
    hand basket so fast it makes your head spin!

Be Thankful she did stop ... and we'll all Pray the injury is minor.
    Has Mom started *breathing* again?

{{{Hugs}}} to All!

Oh my!!... I read all this as if had happened to me.. *gasp*... what a scary thing...

and being a husky owner I know how they can pull that and then act like nothing happened at all... silly huskies...

Keva... dontcha dare do that again EVER!!... got it?..

hugs to all.... and a nice big one to Syd for being such a nice pupper
    Corinna´s Christmas Card Swap ´06
    dedicated to a lovely woman who won many hearts along her life...........
    she will be deeply missed.......Thank you for letting us be a part of your life, you will surely remain in ours FOREVER........R.I.P. Dear Corinna

Best Fireman in da House´10
    dedicated to the kindest,loveliest and always helpful dude that one would be honored and proud to know........R.I.P. Dear Phred

notes-to-my-husband blog

http://365project.org/isabelle/365

Don't feel bad, Amy. MissKevious is just being Siberian and living up to her nickname. I've seen that over-the-shoulder look before too - "Are you still trying to catch me?" Hope her leg heals up okay.

Yeah, it was definitely not a good night...I'm very thankful I was able to catch her, I don't even want to think about not getting her back. The sore on her leg looks ok, its about an inch long but its not deep at all, just the top layer of skin, I think she sliced it on a rock or tree while running. I don't think it could be stitched, it looks like its starting to scab over so I think that will be fine. It's not bothering her, I haven't even seen her lick it.

Wow, I am glad you were able to get her back. That is one of my biggest fears with Taz, because when he gets loose he doesn't look to see where I am at all, he just runs into the street and off he goes. Had to smile a sweet little Syd, saying that she had enough and she was going to sit and wait for her Mom. Was Nebo running with you?

Gesh, Amy, my heart's racing just reading this!

I'm glad everything is OK now. My bet is that the *culprit* has/had no idea what the fuss is all about. I'm a sucker for her blue eyes, so if you can muster up a smooch for me......

I've been Boooo'd!

Keva, I too have heard that mountain streams make for great slurps, but GEESH!! Couldn't you have waited until the the whole troupe arrived in one piece! Glad all turned out well.

Yikes! That's scary. No more of that Keva!
    http://petoftheday.com/talk/signaturepics/sigpic9646_1.gif
    Forever in my heart...
    Casey.Ginger.Corey.Mandy.Sassy
    Lacey.Angel.Missy.Jake.Layla